back up system, camera-monitor, - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 5:14 am Thread Starter

back up system, camera-monitor,

Has anyone played around with using a back up system, camera and monitor, to augment rear virrors on an LT?

I've found one company selling a monitor with a light sensor that lowes illumination at night.http://www.ebay.com/itm/180882110087...witem=&vxp=mtr

I found another company selling a dual camera system with a monitor that shows each camera within left and right 4.3 diagonal areas.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=270990186677

My thinking is that the dual camera would would be easier to use than having to look at the fet hand mirror and then having to look over to the right hand mirror?

Or, is one camera with a 120-140 degree view enough that dual rear view isn't necessary?

I also found a GPS system that overlays the gps route on top of an image coming from a front facing camera.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 7:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: back up system, camera-monitor,

Bob, maybe it is just me but sounds like you are converting your Lt to a cage.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 7:56 am

I don't know about that camera but the one I put on my truck turns on only when in reverse and the manual states to not leave the camera on for extended periods of time because of heat issues.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654

post #4 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Fore some reason, I just don't trust the cages and trucks behind me, especially when we are on interstates with 75mph.

I want to be able to see what's behind me while taking my eyes off what isin front of me with the least amount of time possible.

I must be gettin old?

My first bike had a silly little X-shaped mirror that was only good for passing inspection.

Thanks for the info about back up systems not being left on all the time.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 11:18 am

part of defensive driving is a constant slow rotation of your eyes car or bike - front - rear with mirror(s) - front - repeat endlessly

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #6 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 11:27 am

Yes, A continuous inventory of all the vehicles around you...You need to know and keep track of where everybody is.. This is done by scanning....

But, That's a cool idea.. Maybe a tablet computer and some ip based webcams....

OOh, That's a good idea..
Gotta Go..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Garage

Not quite sure
Are you trying for a system to see behind you for backup purposes or for observation in rear view while riding. Our friend 'ARI' across the pond has a system in place that works with the reverse on the bike first scenario. But if for the latter I am not sure how that would improve on what all LT's already have mirrors. And of course peripheral vision another screen or monitor could prove to be a distraction rather than help. As mentioned before defensive riding/driving calls on all your skills so why not just use them.
ride safe
post #8 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 1:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've been looking for something like this too. I find a large blind spot that is un-scanable with the mirrors directly behind the 'truck'. I'm thinking a single camera mounted up by the luggage rack would cover that area.

Bob, you have a mounting method in mind?

Motor On ,/'

post #9 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

I'm very comfortable using the mirrors for backing up. At one time, I used to drive 10 wheel dump trucks and different tractor trailer set ups.

What I'm lookung for is better rear view that the mirrors provide. I'm guessing that one camera with 120 degree view would do alot to augment the mirrors. And, that dual rear cameras would expand the rear view coverage and fill in the blind spots.

So far, it seems as if the cameras are either composit video or big WiFi cameras.

Many of the cameras are water proof, but not the monitors, displays. My guess is that since all I want to do is look at the monitor, not have to hit any buttons on it, I could just stick it in a plastic box.

Bob

post #10 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Not quite sure
Are you trying for a system to see behind you for backup purposes or for observation in rear view while riding. Our friend 'ARI' across the pond has a system in place that works with the reverse on the bike first scenario. But if for the latter I am not sure how that would improve on what all LT's already have mirrors. And of course peripheral vision another screen or monitor could prove to be a distraction rather than help. As mentioned before defensive riding/driving calls on all your skills so why not just use them.
ride safe
Yeah, I happen to have the rear camera, but actually my original idea was to have an additional screen to show the picture that my video is recording. Having three cameras connected BOTH to my video recorder AND to the extra dispaly turned out to be too difficult for my skills so now my screen only shows the picture of my rear video camera. It does it all the time actually, unless I switch the camera off.

However there are some issues...

The camera shooting backwards for mirror replacing purposes must have the "mirroring feature" included. This is how the factory built backup cameras usually work. Otherwise you all all screwed up watcing your video screen where the cars are passing you on the "wrong" side compared to the picture you see on your ordinary rear view mirrors.
My backwards shooting camera is built for taking real footage, not mirrored. And this of course does not work properly for monitoring your behind while riding. It works perfectly when sitting at home in your sofa and watching the footage as then you are sitting "backwards" on your bike, kind of.
With the experience I have so far I would NOT trade the picture of my original LT mirrors + the RS additional mirrors on on handlebars + small round blind spot mirrors on the OEM mirror upper corners to any rear camera picture.
The camera lens can be dirty or there is glare on the screen or whatever and in traffic situation you usually do not have too much time to wonder if your camera is showing the real picture or not. Good mirrors do it better IMHO...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #11 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 7:00 pm

As far as I'm concerned the K1200LT mirrors SUUUUUCK! I can't see directly behind me at all! I think I will buy some K1200RS mirrors like my friend (who owns both an LT and an RS). That should bring them up to a useable level. I don't know what the Germans were thinking by putting the mirrors at kneecap level. Just my opinion as usual and it smells as bad as usual.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #12 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 9:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The LT mirrors are great for checking the wheels on your Bushtec trailer. The RS mirrors are great for seeing what is behind you. They should have been the very first mod I did instead of the last.

I test drove a friends LT the other day and about freaked out when the mirrors I was used to were GONE!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 10:20 pm
cws

Garage

The other issue with a 120-140 deg view camera (equally in rear-view mirror mode) is that because its is sooo wide an angle, "objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

You might get a false impression that a vehicle behind is travelling at a safe distance, yet in fact it is actually quite close to you. I see it all the time with my GoPro (forward-facing) on the bike... I can be sitting 3 feet from a car at stop lights, yet it looks like it is 10ft away in the LCD screen, and that's at 127 deg FOV.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 28 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 7:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I test drove a friends LT the other day and about freaked out when the mirrors I was used to were GONE!
John,
Do you use the round or oval RS mirrors, been looking into this mod the last few days.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #15 of 28 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 9:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the RS mirrors, I have all four mirrors set slightly different, use the RS mirrors mostly, but have the standard mirror tuned out a bit more to help reduce the blind spot. Rear side proximity detectors would be nice, haven't seen after market ones though, the newer cars with the proximity detectors that flash when a another vehicle enters near your space are pretty cool.

-Preston
‘02 K1200 LTC | ’94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #16 of 28 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:41 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
John,
Do you use the round or oval RS mirrors, been looking into this mod the last few days.
Oval - really like them. And they are break away if the bike falls over on a pickup. They don't come off but the arm spins around.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 28 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Take a look at Autozone
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=825002_0_0_

Cool little wireless system thought about putting on mine as well

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #18 of 28 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 4:42 pm

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...n-mirrors.html
Saeng/TA Quick Scan mirrors were the first thing that I purchased for my LT, then my GSA, and now my GTL.
Picture is with Quick Scan mirror in origiinal position.
Moved the mirror farther to the outboard on the flat spot below the windshield.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739373
Link to the Quick Scans mounted on the mirror stems on my GS Adventure.

Clearly identifies the threat.
All the way until alongside of you.
No, the cheap Wal-Mart mirrors weren't adequate or in the same league.
post #19 of 28 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 6:26 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the valuable info Chris.

The "Quick-Scan" mirrors look interesting.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any info on their site for dimentions.

Best from tucson
Bob

post #20 of 28 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
John,
I do have "round" mirrors installed in the handlebars. Guess they are from K75/K100 - not RS. They are not as fancy looking as RS's oval-versions but they really do work! I haven't give the old LT mirrors a glance since installin those K***-mirrors

Born to be wild so why not

post #21 of 28 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 12:32 pm

Just installed a camera + monitor on mine. I agree with most of the posts here - stupid idea, waste of time, you should be doing head checks etc. etc.

UNTIL you actually ride with one. Amazing is an understatement.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike cam2.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	35969  

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #22 of 28 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

I ordered a pair of RS mirrors from Motobins; see how they do when I install them. These RS mirrors are a little longer than most of the RS mirrors--hoping I'll get a better view over the trunk.

Your install looks interesting, especially with the built in grid to aide gauging depth.

Best from Tucson
Bob

post #23 of 28 Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 6:08 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Just installed a camera + monitor on mine.
Where did you put the camera Woolly, looks like its down low? (pic req'd) ;-P

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #24 of 28 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Where did you put the camera Woolly, looks like its down low? (pic req'd) ;-P
Not that low down - it's quite a wide angle lens.I placed it just under the trunk latch mechanism, between the trunk and the lining - there is plenty of space there for it. The camera power supply is from a 12V outlet I wired into the trunk (from the back of the 12V outlet by the pillion backrest - I use my outlet for charging cameras, laptops etc. The display is powered from the 'Map Light'. Both of which are 'ignition switched'.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	624.1 KB
ID:	35977  

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #25 of 28 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 6:23 pm
cws

Garage

Good spot, somewhat protected from light rain also.
What's the LCD screen like in daylight glare?
Got a link to the product you used, just out of curiosity :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #26 of 28 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 7:38 pm

Screen

Camera.

I paid £30.11 for the two - including delivery.

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #27 of 28 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 7:49 pm
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Re: back up system, camera-monitor,

cheap as chups....
Just above the number plate might be a good spot too, especially if towing a trailer...
or that pesky gap between the top box and its mounting points... lots of options. Nice work!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #28 of 28 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
cheap as chups....
Yup!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Just above the number plate might be a good spot too, especially if towing a trailer...
- No, toooo dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
or that pesky gap between the top box and its mounting points... lots of options. Nice work!
- no, - wont fit - nor in the gap between the brake light bar & boot/trunk lid.

• MB SLK 350 MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in