Low Speed Drop - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

Low Speed Drop

The Wife and I went on a trip with another couple on a motorcycle. GPS failed them in a terrible place to be doing a lot of U turns but yet that's what we had to do. Until we went down a lose path with about a one foot drop off on both sides with big loose gravel ( few inch diameter rocks). The other couple were able to get turned around but instead of waiting for us to come down the path they came barreling up the path and there just wasn't enough room. The Ole LT front tire slipped and I didn't have a footing on the right side. Down we went.

My wife was flung and landed on larger rocks about 5 to 6 inch rocks, used for drainage. She is sore, but her butt and helmet took the brunt of the damage and all is well.

Amazingly, the Cee Bailey windshield took an huge amount of force. Instead of it breaking the windshield it skinned the bark off of the tree that it fell into. The Bike has been on it's side before by the previous owner, and the tip over wing had already been previously damaged. Past that there wasn't any damage except for my wife's bruises.

So one more to add to the drop list. I can't say enough though how impressed I am that the CeeBailey shield didn't break. Top notch product.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 4:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Low Speed Drop

Sorry for your "drop", but then the Lt isn't GS.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Talking Re: Low Speed Drop

Welcome to the Doppers Anonemous (DA) club.

I'll still have the emblem on the side of my bike and the saying on the bottom of my side case"Stop your laughing and help me pic this thing up!"

Hope you had good help after your incident. It just might happen again one of these days.
Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

due to the angle of the hill it took 2 of us to get it righted. He felt awful about the situation. He knew he shouldn't have went until I got down there but no one was hurt so everything was OK. That was the first drop in 12 years. I suppose I was due.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 8:46 pm
Gold Supporter

Sounds like a good reason to wear the gear. I've always figured I have about equal odds of dropping it in a parking lot and cracking my head as needing the protection en route.

Glad to hear your okay.

Jim H.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 8:51 pm
Super Moderator

Here is your honorary pin (picture) . . .

This is a pin that one of the members had made up for us Droppers - notice the DA on the
tank bag it stands for Droppers Anonymous. Welcome to the club it took you long enough
- plus you have the distinction of dropping it with your wife on the back. Did that twice
already - glad to hear she is okay. When I dropped mine I just told my wife to bail and she
stepped off and continued to guide traffic while I plucked the beast up!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Glad your wife wasn't hurt any worse--she must be a good sport! I would have needed the protection of the gear if I ever tossed my wife like you did.

After that many years without a drop--I think I would have pushed her over just to get it out of the way. Glad all is well.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #8 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2012, 10:38 pm

I believe you get one exemption every 10 years (correct???). If that was you first drop of this beast in 10+ years... you are in the lower 2%. Glad nobody got hurt. I pulled mine out of a 2 year sleep and dropped it in my driveway the second day.

This jogged my memory, so I probably won't drop it again for awhile....

____
1996 Yamaha Vstar 650 (donated to charity)
1999 BMW F650 (down at 60 mph, they tell me it was spectacular)
2000 Buell Cyclone M2
1982 Goldwing - (Upgraded from the 1882 model I listed previously)
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 12:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss

After that many years without a drop--I think I would have pushed her over just to get it out of the way. Glad all is well.
Uhhhh Wade, you are talking about his bike and not his wife aren't you?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 7:02 am

Well, you guys can add my name to the list. I’ve had the LT one year and one month and final set her down yesterday afternoon after stopping for a stop sign on a side hill slope. Put my foot down on gravel and she went down gracefully.

The wife kind of just spilled off the back and neither of us suffered any damage. The wife surprised me when she picked herself up off the ground. The first words out of her mouth where, “Well we finally got that out of the way.”

Funny thing about it was, that it was easier picking the bike back up than it is to put it on the center stand.
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 7:28 am Thread Starter

Yep, gear is absolutely required now. We usually wore it anyway but sometimes we would go just helmets. Which btw if she had not wore a helmet we would have been in the hospital. There is two impact marks from the jagged rocks dead center at the back of the helmet where her head hit the point of rocks. There was a mild headache that followed, but thats better than what could have happened.

What was sad about the whole thing was we were less than 500 yards from the cabin we were heading too. I had a close call earlier in the day and said "I got my close call out of the way for the trip." Shot myself in the foot on that one. I haven't made a lot of posts recently (few years) but I have been trolling around still doing some reading on the forums. Happy this place is still around to share things.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in