LT don't hold their value - Is that true? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:27 am Thread Starter

LT don't hold their value - Is that true?

I thought I saw a thread in the last week about the LT not holding their value as compared to GW and HD. I don't get it! Doesn't a BMW automobile hold its' value either? Or is that a bad assumption?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
I thought I saw a thread in the last week about the LT not holding their value as compared to GW and HD. I don't get it! Doesn't a BMW automobile hold its' value either? Or is that a bad assumption?
It's a bad assumption. I was toying with the idea of getting a 7-Series a couple of years ago. I was amazed to see how much they depreciate in just 3 years. Totally amazed!

As for the LT depreciating "too fast" . . . I think it's a very relative statement. I happen to be very pleased with the current value of my 2002 LT. Others still seem to think it should still be worth about $16K or more. And just an FYI: There's a lot of people owning Harleys right now that are going to get awfully ticked off when they've realized that they are no longer holding the golden goose. As for a GW . . . um . . . they ain't worth a penny to me, so who cares?
post #3 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:04 pm
Bouncer

Here is the thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6834

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Well, about 9 months ago I picked up my first LT, used, a 2000 Baltic Blue. LTc Love at first site. The asking price was 7500, however, doing alittle research and with alittle hope I offered 6800 and, it was accepted.

The bike had 58,000 on it, which I thought was a little high, however after having my local BMW dealership do the once over, I was told that the bike is still very much a baby, and has far to go.

Most bikes I found on or around the same year varied about 3000 in price, with the same features.

If necessary, I would have paid alittle more, but got (what I considered) Lucky on my deal.
post #5 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:44 pm

It only depreciates when you sell it..Mines worth a million to me.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #6 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneod
As usually...the PERFECT words.
post #7 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneod
Well said
I just sold my old Harley a couple of weeks ago, had it for 31 years,
that's a lot of nostalgia.
One of my old Harley buddies said: man how can you sell a bike you've had for that long?
My answer: after riding the LT I have absolutely no interest in riding it anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	2711  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #8 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Got the opposite problem with my house. Because of a "hot" real estate market, my valuation went up 30% this past year; 30% increase in real estate taxes.

Bob
post #9 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Cool Apples and Apples

Vance,

The resale value of a Harley is generally better than an LT. UNLESS you put very many miles on a Harley.

An LT with 50K miles doesn't really drop that much in resale value. But a Harley with 50K miles, forget the resale value. I would guess the average annual mileage for a Harley is less than 2000.

For those of us that put 30K miles per year, the BMW line is the best way to go. Not to mention, high mileage don't wear out the BMW.
post #10 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 4:45 pm

Unhappy

I have a 2000 LTI with 29K on it. New tires (only 28 miles on them), new BMW gel battery, and just had the 30K service done. I want to get an R12RT but the dealer only offered me $5K for a trade on my LT. Now the LT is pretty stock ... have a new Cee Bailey W/S and J-Pegs but I thought that was pretty low for a trade. I believe the Harleys and GWs do hold their values better. My riding buddy sold his 1998 Road King on E-Bay 2 years ago for $9,500 and it had 70K miles but looked real nice. I'd sell my LT for $7,500 in a heartbeat.

Guess we must face the reality that we don't buy these bikes for their resale value.

Bob Wood
Oceanside, CA
post #11 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 5:37 pm

An 02 LT E,, lists in KBB trade in at $9525. Same year Wing ABS lists at $9000.. But in reality people are more familiar with the Honda Gold Wing name, many Wings have a couple thousand in chrome goodies added, and many people looking for a used Wing are impressed by that. It seems asking price on used Wings is much higher, and I guess some people get it. I see 03 and 04 Wings for sale for $14 to $15k all the time. But There are a few big Honda dealerships around that still have 05s new for $14,800, why those used ones sell is beyond me.

If you are worried about buying a Beemer and it not holding it's value, buy a used one to start with.
post #12 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 6:31 pm

One of the reasons that I bought the LT was I could get a used one for a great price. I ended up buying a 99 with 9000 miles for 9 grand 2 years ago and I love the bike. I dont think that I will ever have to worry about losing much on that purchase, and I have a 1980 Harley that I bought new for $5895 that has 70000 hard miles on it and I am sure is worth more than what I paid new.
But the Harley sits a lot ever since I got the LT for some reason ???
post #13 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have been riding my new bike a little bit here and there over the last two weeks and have 400-ish miles on it and like it very much. I didn't buy it to add chrome do-dads and stand back and look at it. It has only been in the 40's here in WI but I can't wait for the weather to break and it get nice so I can get out of these cold weather clothes and ride in more comfort.

I plan on keeping the bike for a long time and use it like it is supposed to be used but was frankly, shocked to read that the BMW product was only viewed so-so in comparison with other bikes. Good points were made about the miles we drive vs. other bike brands that factor the value of the product after time and miles. I just could not however; see the BMW car line be viewed as a vehicle that didn't hold it's value over time and failed to believe that the same quality product with two wheels was viewed differently.

I'll know what it's worth when I trade it in some day.

Thanks
post #14 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 10:50 pm

Man!! You guys have me so confused,,,, If ya want to buy something to sell for a profit buy a stamp or maybe a coin..........

Don't compare a LT to a wing,, the US is the main and almost only market for the wing while the US is way down the food chain for BMW...

There are allot of bikes that loose their value allot faster than the BMW,,, the LT looses a little faster than the wing and HD but still does ok... Motorcycles are not an investment market ...........Regards Pete
post #15 of 52 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:17 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Man!! You guys have me so confused,,,, If ya want to buy something to sell for a profit buy a stamp or maybe a coin..........

Don't compare a LT to a wing,, the US is the main and almost only market for the wing while the US is way down the food chain for BMW...

There are allot of bikes that loose their value allot faster than the BMW,,, the LT looses a little faster than the wing and HD but still does ok... Motorcycles are not an investment market ...........Regards Pete
I think Pete summs it up for us. We buy BMWs for the riding experience, not because they are fuel efficient or because we can sell them for more than we pay for them. I drive a Honda automobile for transportation, good resale, yada, yada, yada. I ride the BMW because it satisfies my two-wheeled passion. A wing or harley; I'd rather drive my comfortable and boreing honda automobile.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #16 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 1:00 am

Mine is more valuable to me now than it was when I bought it over a year ago! Who says they don't hold their value?

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #17 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 1:11 am

My 2003 GL1800 held on to its value only because it was the most desired color (Metallic Silver) a greenish silver and the Wing is easily triked.

I sold mine on ebay for slightly more than I paid for it 2 years later with 11K miles to a guy that trikes Wings for a living. To me it was a great deal. In my case, yes the Wing held on to its value. The closer to stock it is and the farkling kept to a minimum helps resale also.

As for my 05 LT, I think its also holding resale quite well. Most of John-Q-Public are not familiar with the LT and are shocked when I tell them its been around since the late 90s. The price for the LT is extremely competitive against the Gold Wing and other heavy tourers. Both are great bikes, but it boils down to how much sport vs. rolling la-z-boy recliner do you want. A few frame crack recall and overheating problem owners of 02 and 03 GL1800s started looking a BMW LTs as a replacement to the drama found on about 9000+ of the affected Wings. I was one of these owners.

When I looked at replacing my Wing, I looked hard at both models and the LT won. The LT won't have the resale of the Wing, but I will have my LT for a long time to come. I plan to ride the wheels off of it. I like the LT that much more than the Wing. I'm 36 years old and have ridden Wings since I was 19 years old. I love the change to the LT and should have done it years ago. I guess I'm kinda backwards, the older I get, the sportier I want my bike to be.

I think as the LT gains in popularity and becomes more visible the 1, 2 and 3 year resale will get better. The Wing is pricier than the LT right now when you compare ABS Wings to the LT. Insurance quotes seem to be lower on the LT also. The LT is also better bang for the buck over the BMW R1200RT when you spec out the RT with the radio and the larger top trunk. It will be interesting to see how the new K1200GT plays in with the current line up. The next generation LT is the one to watch. What ever that turns out to be may help or hurt the resale. Like the Wing, some feel the old boxy GL1500 was a better bike over the new GL1800 which held up the value of the 1500s.
The LT will be redesigned and out on the market 1 year ahead of the scheduled redesign of the Wing. Honda and BMW will continue to battle for the top touring market for years to come. I bought my LT to ride with the intention of long term enjoyment. Depreciation is a given. The grin on my face after a tear through the twisties or a 10 hour trip is priceless.

Dave Allen
2005 k1200lt, Graphite, XMXT, Xenon, Motolights
post #18 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 9:47 am

Quote:
I thought I saw a thread in the last week about the LT not holding their value as compared to GW and HD. I don't get it!
It's all in a name man. Think about it. All the other Motorcycle manufacturers added names to their bikes to give them...what? Personality? Make them more fitable to a buyers ego? I don't know the real answer, but most top sellers have a name. We don't say: FLHRI - we say "Road King". We don't say: GL1800 - we say "Gold Wing", We don't say:GSXR-1300 - we say "Hayabusa",
We don't say: K1200LT - we say... Oh wait, that is what we say!

Numbers and letters just don't have cachet. The owners of such vehicles be they two or four wheels will say otherwise, they've already been converted, seen the light, whatever, but to prospective new buyers names have power and advertisers and maunufacturers know it.
How many of us have bought something based on the item or makers name? We all have. Maybe we have a percieved idea of it's value because of that name. If you check out consumer reports, on some items the name brand fares worse than the lesser known one.

So IMHO, it's a name game and BMW doesn't play it. I think if they did, their sales (and resale values) might improve in the U.S. where we tend to name everything.

Hey, you named your bike didn't you?

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #19 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:59 am

Quote:

HD ONLY held thier value if you didn't ride them, try to sell a 1 yr old hd with 12k miles on it let alone a 1 yr old hd with 37k miles on it, they just won't sell at all.

now a yr old hd with 1k miles will sell for just under new price but the sales boom is over now has been for a while, don;t let anyone fool you.

I wonder why do you want to know this? are you buying your motocycle for a investment or to ride it? if investment don't buy any motorcycle unless you get a good deal on a 30+ yr old bike

JMHO

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #20 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob
I have a 2000 LTI with 29K on it. New tires (only 28 miles on them), new BMW gel battery, and just had the 30K service done. I want to get an R12RT but the dealer only offered me $5K for a trade on my LT. Now the LT is pretty stock ... have a new Cee Bailey W/S and J-Pegs but I thought that was pretty low for a trade. I believe the Harleys and GWs do hold their values better. My riding buddy sold his 1998 Road King on E-Bay 2 years ago for $9,500 and it had 70K miles but looked real nice. I'd sell my LT for $7,500 in a heartbeat.

Guess we must face the reality that we don't buy these bikes for their resale value.

Bob Wood
Oceanside, CA

your riding buddy sold his bike two years ago and that was tthe ending time of the big harley sales fad!

today that same bike would be lucky to get 7500 out of it with that kind of miles, at least around these parts now if it only had a few k miles it would be different

Tom

post #21 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

I want to know this because BMW has an awesome reputation for high engineering, quality, etc. and you pay for it I just can't believe that what BMW delivers doesn't hold it's dollar value especially vs. non engineered, snap on plastic parts other bikes.

In a nutshell, since when do you buy something this high quality and the market says it's not as valuable as some other bikes....I think it's BS! Maybe when people realize what they are missing the market will change.
post #22 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTsaddledance
It's all in a name man. Think about it. All the other Motorcycle manufacturers added names to their bikes to give them...what? Personality? Make them more fitable to a buyers ego? I don't know the real answer, but most top sellers have a name. We don't say: FLHRI - we say "Road King". We don't say: GL1800 - we say "Gold Wing", We don't say:GSXR-1300 - we say "Hayabusa",
We don't say: K1200LT - we say... Oh wait, that is what we say!

Numbers and letters just don't have cachet. The owners of such vehicles be they two or four wheels will say otherwise, they've already been converted, seen the light, whatever, but to prospective new buyers names have power and advertisers and maunufacturers know it.
How many of us have bought something based on the item or makers name? We all have. Maybe we have a percieved idea of it's value because of that name. If you check out consumer reports, on some items the name brand fares worse than the lesser known one.

So IMHO, it's a name game and BMW doesn't play it. I think if they did, their sales (and resale values) might improve in the U.S. where we tend to name everything.

Hey, you named your bike didn't you?
I agree. I still run across people that are not even aware that BMW makes motorcycles. Once they realize they do it is not unusual to be told it must be nice if it's a BMW. Ask a typical m/c rider to rattle off motorcycle brands and they always start off with Harley, Honda, Kawasaki and then some even list Jessie James, Orange County Choppers etc. Few, unless they have personal knowledge, will mention BMW. I don't think I have ever actually seen an official TV BMW motorcycle commercial. Have they ever had a national media TV advertising campaign? Based on BMW's automobile reputation, and the market segment it goes after, you would think it would be an easy transition to incorporate that same prestige into their motorcycles. Especially with America's sick need to use labels as status symbols. The whole Harley mystic is based on perceived status of the brand. You have to give them a lot of credit on their ability to market their product, retain value, brand loyalty and maintain a strong nationwide dealer network. Makes you wonder why BMW does not use it's international clout, knowledge and skills to capitalize on it's own status and prestige of the BMW label?

Personally, I am not going to lose any sleep on it because I buy based on my specific needs and not because everyone else has one.

May we never find the end of the road!

oknplm

Perry Ridgway
post #23 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Quote:
LT don't hold their value - Is that true?
I thought I saw a thread in the last week about the LT not holding their value as compared to GW and HD. I don't get it!

If you buy a second hand K1200LT it holds the value fantastically!

Just don't buy new. As for any bike or car it's as the others say it devaluates drastically in within a short time after it left the showroom for the first time.

Get yourself aquainted with some mechanical skills and buy a good second hand bike and you will be happy enopugh to smile all year long!!!

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
post #24 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 3:23 pm

Quote:
------------------I just could not however; see the BMW car line be viewed as a vehicle that didn't hold it's value over time and failed to believe that the same quality product with two wheels was viewed differently.---------------
Thanks
The BMW car line is a little strange, in that some of the models hold their value really well, others don't. The "M" versions hold value extremely well, the "Sport" models of the 5 and 7 also, and the 3 series probably the best of the normal models. The normal 5 series models hold their value pretty well, but not as much as the 3's.

The 7 series (except for the "sport" model) does not hold value from new well at all, even though it is a really nice car.

That is just fine with me, as I bought a REALLY nice 2001 740iL for $26,000, it had sold new 4 years earlier for over $65,000! It will not drop in value at that rate from now forward though, so getting it used was a much better deal.

Seems the LTs are somewhat like the 7 series cars, you can often get a really good deal on a used one in excellent condition. Bad for people who buy and sell bikes often, no problem for those of us who plan to keep them a long time.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #25 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 3:30 pm

It may be hard for the BMW autos to hold their value if people continue to read headlines like this: BMW 5 and 7 series rated Most Unreliable Luxury Cars.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8489200/

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #26 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 3:33 pm

Rich or Poor?
One day a father and his rich family took their young son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing him how poor some people can be.
They spent a day and a night in the farm of a very poor family. When they got back from their trip the father asked his son,
"How was the Trip?"
"Very good, Dad!"
"Did you see how poor people can be?" the father asked.
"Yeah!"
"And what did you learn?"
The son answered, "I saw that we have a dog at home, and
they have four.
We have a pool that reaches to the middle of the garden, they have a creek that has no end.
We have imported lamps in the garden, they have the stars.
Our patio reaches to the front yard, they have a whole horizon."
When the little boy was finished, his father was speechless.
His son added, "Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are!"

It is all about perspective...........
Take Great care of your bike and some one will pay what you need for it....

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #27 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee
It may be hard for the BMW autos to hold their value if people continue to read headlines like this: BMW 5 and 7 series rated Most Unreliable Luxury Cars.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8489200/
I researched the 7 series pretty well before deciding to buy a used one. There are a couple problems with them, same as with the LT, but if one is aware of them, and even more importantly willing and able to do most of their own maintenance work, the risk is pretty small compared to the upside of a very nicely built, comfortable, and great handling automobile (for it's size and weight). The 7 series suffers mostly from electronic issues, being that it has such a HUGE volume of electronics in it. That certainly is the biggest worry, something electronic failing and the likely difficult task of troubleshooting it.

At first I was looking for a 750, until I discovered that that V12 has TWO complete engine control systems. Two ECU's, Throttle bodies, Mass airflow sensors, etc. Decided to stick with the 740 V8!

There are web groups for both the BMW cars I have, and like the LT site, can save one a lot of grief and troubleshooting time when a problem does arrise.

There is really no reason for the 5 series to be more unreliable than the 3 series, when the only practical difference between them is size.

It has often been said of BMW over the years: "They make only one car, in three sizes!" Not so true now, but for years that seemed to be the case.

My wife and I have been enjoying the 740, with informed fingers crossed.

We looked at a few Lexus cars before buying the 740, but even though I knew the reliability would likely be better, the Lexus's were just too much like Gold Wings. They certainly did not drive like the BMW.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #28 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Quote:
In a nutshell, since when do you buy something this high quality and the market says it's not as valuable as some other bikes....I think it's BS! Maybe when people realize what they are missing the market will change.
I think it boils down to the strength (or not!) of the American dollar vs. foreign currencies. Now, if the dollar went 2 to 1 on the German mark (or Euro), the LT would be a fantastic bargain with a wonderful resale value.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #29 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

Wouldn't that be cool!
post #30 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Quote:

Bob Wood
Oceanside, CA
Bob,

I have never had a dealer make me an acceptable offer. I take care of my autos and bikes meticulously. If your buddy would have sold his bike to a Harley dealer he would have not gotten a good trade in. When you sell do it go private party, e-bay, etc. I have sold many bikes and cars in the past and when I go to the dealer I am looking to buy and not to sell.

If you want to sell your bike let me know, e-mail me the details and pictures. I work in O-Side and might have someone interested.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

Last edited by airborneod; Mar 27th, 2006 at 6:47 pm.
post #31 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 7:05 pm

It's true, MOST motor vehicles loose ALOT of their retail value right off the lot!
A couple examples I've had recently....I just bought an '04 Town Car, 12000 miles, the sticker was $48,000.00, I got it for $25,000, talk about depriciation!
My '03 LTE was $19000.00, I sold it less than 1 year later with 1900 miles for $15,700.
BUT, I bought an '04 Road King Classic last April for $15,000, it had 3500 miles on it. I sold it 3000 miles and 3 months later for $16,800! Go figure!
I loved looking at it (beautiful bike) but I couldn't stand riding it!
Harley must have a pact with the devil!
post #32 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 7:38 pm
jsr

Love what you have

I bought the 05 lt for in the ball park of $22,000 and have added $1,000 worth of seats and backrest, plus passenger arm rests, Jpegs. My resale value is ? as I have 68,000+ on this wonderful machine. If the bike was worth nothing today it would have cost me less than $.34 per mile of pure pleasure. If everything continues to go well this bike will likely have 70,000+ on by it's 2 year anniversery and possibly 100,000 by the end of our short North Dakota season. My cost of ownership just continues to drop and my pleasure continues to increase.

If I looked at resale I would never have purchased the 3 vehicles I have, a E350 Ford 1 ton van, a Crown Victoria, and a BMW LT. I have purchased each one for the use that I needed them for and am very happy with all.

I briefly recall a jewelry salesman talking about resale value of an engagement ring/wedding band, and I advised that getting the return on investment would probably cost me more than the investment in question.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #33 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Cost of Ownership

If you are going to trade up or out of an LT every couple of years, buy the Harley. But if you plan to put 200,000 miles on yours like I am working on doing with mine, the cost per mile of ownership drops dramatically. I bought my 99 LT for $21,000 Canadian. When I get to 200,000 miles that will work out to a cost of 9.5 cents per mile. A Harley with that kind of milage is usually used as a parts bike. I expect my BMW to still be going strong and where can I ever go to get the kind of enjoyment, I could ever get out of a BMW for only 9.5 cents per mile. Ron
post #34 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I think it boils down to the strength (or not!) of the American dollar vs. foreign currencies. Now, if the dollar went 2 to 1 on the German mark (or Euro), the LT would be a fantastic bargain with a wonderful resale value.
I'm sorry, but unlike most of Europe, the US market is driven by one thing, and it is not quality. It is marketing. 90% of the consumers in the US buy what they are told. BMW does very little advertising, and BMW motorcycles does even less.
post #35 of 52 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig4s
I'm sorry, but unlike most of Europe, the US market is driven by one thing, and it is not quality. It is marketing. 90% of the consumers in the US buy what they are told. BMW does very little advertising, and BMW motorcycles does even less.
Yeah, my wife told me to buy this bike...

she was right.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #36 of 52 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 9:01 am

Quote:
I want to know this because BMW has an awesome reputation for high engineering, quality, etc. and you pay for it I just can't believe that what BMW delivers doesn't hold it's dollar value especially vs. non engineered, snap on plastic parts other bikes.

It's the Market, they are not popular compared to other brands. they hold the smallest share of motorcycle market in the US compared with thename brand bikes, heck I bet some of the customs have sold more in one year here. atleast that is all i can come up with, that and maybe there are few BMW MC dealers compared to any other brand in the us?

Tom

post #37 of 52 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 9:39 am

First year's depreciation on a new LT - probably thousands.

Smile on my face and how I feel after each and every ride - priceless - for years and years and years .... .

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #38 of 52 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:13 am

Smile

*An 05 LT according to KBB trade in value is only 12k while the retail is only $16.500.00 Being the first owner costs 25% of the price!. In my own case I purchased a near new one for 31.25% off the cost of new with only 1,200 miles in showroom condtion and 75% of the warranty left.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #39 of 52 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:34 am

When I decided that I wanted to buy another true full dress bike and not just a dressed cruiser, I quickly found that the LT doesn't hold it's valve near as well as a Gold Wing. And that's the biggest reason I purchased a LT other than the GW.

I was able to buy a very nice 2002 LTC with less than 11,000 miles at much less than half what a new one sells for. With the difference of the saved money from not buying the GW, I was able to replace the rear drive with a 2005 unit off a new triked bike (for peace of mind) and install Ohlins shocks and still saved probably two thousand bucks.

I don't think a new LT is a good value but used ones can be purchased at a very reasonable price.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #40 of 52 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Smile

Thats because Harley's are T T Bikes, Tavern to Tavern, you dont put many miles when you dont ride far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Vance,

The resale value of a Harley is generally better than an LT. UNLESS you put very many miles on a Harley.

An LT with 50K miles doesn't really drop that much in resale value. But a Harley with 50K miles, forget the resale value. I would guess the average annual mileage for a Harley is less than 2000.

For those of us that put 30K miles per year, the BMW line is the best way to go. Not to mention, high mileage don't wear out the BMW.

Renzo
post #41 of 52 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 1:18 pm

Quote:

Bob Wood
Oceanside, CA
And at 7500, it is a good deal. One thing I learned, don't ever expect to get out of your bike or car what you want from a dealer...

They will pay you as little as they can and usually wholesale or less toward the new item.

7500.00 sounds reasonable for that bike. I would list it here, motorcycle trader and/or BMW Owners News.

Good luck.
post #42 of 52 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 3:40 pm

If you want to sell your LT, this board's classifieds is a good place, but your best bet is the IBMWR.org marketplace. I've bought and sold several Beemers that way.

And out of the six Beemers that I've owned, I only bought one new. Both LTs I bought used... it's the only way to do it (unless of course you are smarter than me and actually keep a motorcycle for a decent period of time).

Michael

Life is too short to compromise on your toys.

Current collection:

'08 R1200GS Namabia Orange
'08 335 Coupe
'11 535 Sedan (on order)
post #43 of 52 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 8:20 pm

As a general rule, any piece of machinery is a poor financial investment. Your KZ900 and V65 Magna may be worth more now than their selling prices as new bikes, but, they are exceptions to the rule. It is a practical impossibility to determine today what will retain its value over time, or be worth even more than it's original price. My 2000 LT was $14,700 when I purchased it (used) in August 2002. It is likely not worth $8500 now, even with less than 14,000 miles on the odometer. Other than a Harley, there is no other bike that I could have purchased that would not depreciate fairly rapidly. I will not even attempt to feign diplomacy when I say I would never spend one penny on purchasing a Harley, even though they currently do retain more of their original value than do most other bikes. The Harley crowd has been sucked into the idea that a Harley is "an investment that they will make money on". I live in the middle of Harley country and continually see the prices of used Harleys fall season after season. They are overpriced and underquality. The LT is so superior to a Harley that a comparison is an exercise in futility. If you have a LT, enjoy the hell out of it; if you are balking at acquiring one because of the depreciation aspect, be advised the many miles of smiles you will experience far outweigh the relatively minor financial downside. If the depreciation losses are your overriding concern, buy a used vintage bike (Gold Wing 1100 or 1200, BMW R90, Triumph Bonneville, BSA Lightning, Norton Commando, etc). Many of these older bikes are rapidly appreciating in value and are a blast to ride and own if you are able to perform a good portion of the maintenance some of them require.

Don't beat yourself up over a few dollars. You will really be pissed at yourself if you buy a bike you eventually hate AND lose money on it....don't have to worry about not liking the LT. Enjoy yourself, life is short.
post #44 of 52 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 8:38 pm

lt holding value

Of course they don't hold their value. No BMW motorcycles do. Check E Bay, Craigs list, or
Owners News. A new '07 LT is 22 large + and 2006's with very LOW miles are going for 17K. 1999-2001 with 15,000-30,000 and service records are trading for under 10K. That is where the value is.

I love the brand and have ridden nothing else since 1993, but if value is your game don't spring for the new ones on the dealers floor. If you just gotta have it, step up.
post #45 of 52 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:28 pm

Last post on this thread before yours was over a year ago.

Please fill in your profile so we know who you are and a little about you.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #46 of 52 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 1:25 pm

Quote:

Bob Wood
Oceanside, CA
You seem to be comparing apples to oranges in your post, hence I don't believe you are making a fair comparison. A dealer will never offer you anywhere near what your bike is worth. The most you will ever see is the "BLUEBOOK WHOLESALE" value of a bike on a trade in. Their hope is to make a profit on the new bike, and make a profit on the old bike as well.

When you buy something on ebay, the buyer's intention is to get a "Bargain" but, that may or may not be the case. That venue is a "retail" venue and not a "wholesale" venue. It also depends on the demand for the item you are selling..

I think 7500 for your LT is a very reasonable price considering the mileage and that you are going to sell it retail. If I were you, I would use available resources to sell it and you would be surprised how fast you will get what you are asking:

1) This forum
2) BMW MOA Fleamarket (join if you have to)
3) cycletrader
and others.

The last thing I would do is take a lowball trade offer from a dealer. They will turn around and sell it for probably 1000.00 higher then what they gave you as a trade in value. Don't fall for it. Just be a little patient.

Good luck.
post #47 of 52 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 3:14 pm

Cool

Sold my BMW MCoupe after owning it for 3 years for exactly what I paid for it....
I see My year/model LT selling today for $900 less than I paid for it 3 years ago..............
Seems O.K.....

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #48 of 52 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 4:52 pm

Cool Buy it right!

Just bought an 02 loaded, GPS, even leather luggage! 2,600 miles. 12k. I'll probably never buy new again!
post #49 of 52 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:29 am

Mechanical equipment....... the worst possible "investment". Buy it and use it because you like it, NOT because you are looking for it to hold value other than "intrinsic" value to you.
Never ridden or owned a vehicle yet that I didn't lose money on when traded or sold. I will keep the LT because it fits the riding bill for me AND you can always get parts.
post #50 of 52 Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:04 pm

I was looking for another Goldwing after selling my 1989 several years ago. It seemed like even the high mileage ones were over priced.
I ran across the 1999 LT with under 17000 miles at a fair price and decided it was time for something different to ride and tinker with.
I will say, however, if I didn't do my own upkeep I might have had second thoughts. The local dealer in St. Louis went out of business and it is a rather long ride to the next one.
After installing an autocomm system and new tires I am very happy with the bike and after paying a fair price resell value is not a concern.
Hubert

1999 K1200LT Beemer
1999 VFR 800 Honda
1983 550 Yamaha Vision(in shed)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in