2006 K1200LT--No regrests! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:22 am Thread Starter

2006 K1200LT--No regrests!

On Friday I picked up my brand new Storm Gray Metallic K1200LT. As of this writing I have 300 miles on the bike and can honestly say it is the finest tour motorcycle I have ever ridden.

I have owned four Harley Davidsons (including a Road King) and currently own a R1200GS BMW as well as the K1200LT. I have ridden police bikes in the past including the Kawasaki, BMW and Harley. Prior to buying the LT I scoured the internent and this site to learn as much as I could about the pros and cons of the LT. This site gave me valuable information. Thanks.

From my research, my biggest concern had to do with the weight of the bike and the perception by some riders that the bike was top heavy. On this latter issue I think the degree of difficulty with the bike's weight has to do more with one's training and experience with big bikes. The weight "control" factor varies from rider to rider and their comfort level.

Prior to buying the LT, I looked at the Gold Wing and some of the Harley Tour bikes. Despite owning several Harleys, to me HD could not beat the LT is sheer comfort, wind protection, braking, power and virtually every requirement for serious touring. The vision of being two up on a rainy day and having to engage a HD in a panic maneuver was a risk I was not willing to take. The advanced ABS systems on the LT will definitely give me the best advantage, not the HD. When I looked at the Honda, I was unimpressed with the quality of finish and paint. The Honda had what I consider cheaper plastic on the dash ans 1970's car dash vents on the fairing. One cannot beat the quality of paint BMW uses. Also, the K1200 engine is tried and true and the new power increase and torque are more that adequate for the job. The real clincher is the ability of the LT to turn into a real handling machine once going. I was extremely impressed with the bikes nimbleness and flickability in curves. I felt like BMW really cared about the rider in designing this machine.

I coulkd go on, but I wanted to share these thoughts and confirm what some of you have written before, that once you own an LT there is no going back to sport-tour models or HD.

Bob
2006 K1200LT
2006 R1200GS
2003 Dyna Wide Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:44 am

Very accurately described Bob. This is the first bike that I have owned that I didn't want to "trade up" after the first year. IMHO there is nothing to trade up to .
When you get a chance, fill out a little more of your profile (or not), so that we have an idea of where your located at.
Enjoy your ride !!
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:54 pm

Welcom!

Welcome, Bob. Glad to have you here.

You are going to love this bike even more as time goes on.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Bob,

I am having the same experience that you are! I have 2100 miles on my '05 LT and couldn't be happier with my decision to buy it. It is by far the best motorcycle I have ever owned.

And I've owned a few. After getting back into motorycling back in '96, I have owned a 96 Triumph Thunderbird, 98 Moto Guzzi V11EV California, 2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport, 2000 Harley Davidson Super Glide, 02 Moto Guzzi California, 03 BMW R1200CL, and finally my LT.

Each and every purchase was what I thought I wanted at the time and each probably was. But soon after each purchase, I was looking at the brocures again and trying to decide if I wanted to make a change. Until now. There is no doubt in my mind that this is my final motorcyle and I don't think I could have picked a better one.

Steve
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 7:44 pm
RMW

Smile

Bob,

I went to buy an 1150 RT in late 04. Test rode and fell in love with the 05 LT. Bought one a couple of weeks later. Ditto on your observations as a new owner.

Now, a good bit over a year later I have bonded with this motorcycle like no other I have ever owned. Like many on this site, I can think of no bike I would replace it with. There are a bunch I would like to have in the stable along side but that's a whole new thread.

I am now in the midst of installing a 5 gal. aux tank and doing the 36K service. I do most all the maintenance and upgrades on the bike myself thanks to members advice, posts, and the Paul Sayegh videos. I don't think there is any accessory that has not been installed by members on this board willing to share their experience so don't hesitate to ask questions when the farkle bug starts to bite.

Welcome to the site and enjoy the experience.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Beware the Farkle Bug.. once it bites, you are done...

I'm enjoying and thriving in this land of banishment from HD. Funny how it works, but my LT, Misty, is one fine machine.

Enjoy!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 7 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:11 am

Smile

My feelings are about the same Bob..... Had alot of HD's and a few Goldwings.
None of which compare with my 05 LT ..... If you ever find yourself on a ride to the eastside of the state... Ping me!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in