1999 1200LT - Spotty Maintenance Record - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

1999 1200LT - Spotty Maintenance Record

I have to admit, that old LT's don't seem to have held their market value. I purchased this bike in 2005, and was getting a little concerned about potential final drive and clutch issues. Especially the cost. The bike had a spotty maintenance history (no records), but a 48 complete inspection service was performed in Grand Rapids.

Last week, I discovered a leak near the front wheel. I determined it came from the damper. So, I purchased a Clymers manual. Today, I decided to get it in 5th and gun it. No hesitation whatsoever. I also have seen little if any oil consumption. The clutch window shows the fluid level is right where it should be. The bike has 49.5K, so I am thinking the final drive might have been addressed, or I just got lucky. From the threads, it appears that the 1999 had significant issues. However, I do have antilock brakes, and they do appear to be working fine.

I am the guy that started the thread on how many times their LT has been on it's side. I put it down a couple weeks ago after not riding it much. This time, I gave the bike the respect it deserved. What a wonderful riding bike... if it is going more than 10mph. I am glad the bike didn't sell.

Other than the damper (which I'm not sure is really necessary). I can't find a single thing wrong with the bike. I plan to ride the bike now on longer trips. I am planning on doing an oil change. Any opinions on whether I check the final drive? My plan is to run it this year, and check out the final drive at the beginning of next season.

I also have a Buell cyclone, which I dusted off and plan to ride it back and forth to work 4-5 miles. The BMW is going to be reserved for 20 miles or more. I still say the LT is a sweet ride, but it is one of the toughest beasts to tame at 5mph or less. For me, I have to treat each stop with a great deal of attention. It's definitely not a stop and go bike.

____
1996 Yamaha Vstar 650 (donated to charity)
1999 BMW F650 (down at 60 mph, they tell me it was spectacular)
2000 Buell Cyclone M2
1982 Goldwing - (Upgraded from the 1882 model I listed previously)
1999 BMW K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Re: 1999 1200LT - Spotty Maintenance Record

You will find with the passing of time that you won't have to concentrate so completely when you come in for a landing. You still have to be diligent and plan the procedure but it becomes second nature. If you get lazy though......... you will drop it. It just happens.

Enjoy,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

How true.... I dropped it several times the first year... then none.... It sat for a couple years... just fired up the engine. It only took one time, and my memory came back.

I now put two feet down at stops... Even if you are careful, if the one foot slips (and you have a 30 inch inseam) it's going down no matter what. With short legs, the slightest tilt pulls your other foot off the ground.

The last time, I didn't even fight it... I just let her go, then asked for help picking her back up. I honestly think this is the most difficult beast at slow speeds... I have ridden tons of bikes, but nothing like this.

It has a lot of good traits. One other shortcoming, it should could use a set of highway pegs (standard). Short legged guys will know what I am talking about.... I actually rest my calves on the bat wings (I know it's stupid) sometimes.

____
1996 Yamaha Vstar 650 (donated to charity)
1999 BMW F650 (down at 60 mph, they tell me it was spectacular)
2000 Buell Cyclone M2
1982 Goldwing - (Upgraded from the 1882 model I listed previously)
1999 BMW K1200LT

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2012, 2:20 am

When I describe what I have to do to stretch my legs out, on the bat wings, on trips, I describe it as getting ready for a pelvic exam at the Gynocologists while doing 70 mph on an interstate.

Maybe next year I can add some Mick O Pegs?

This year it has been a new helmet, Kevlar jacket for summer riding, summer riding boots, Sena Head set to hear the audio and music from my GPS, arms for the windshield, black dash board, fuse box, relays, driving lights, box to mount switches on the right hand throttle controll, replacement bolts, replacement rubber gromets, items to make a harness for the added driving lights, red LEDS and yellow LEDS.

Right now my plan is to leave for Maine the first week of Aug.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2012, 1:26 pm

If you haven't had a final drive failure by 60K, Chances are your drive was built correctly and will last the life of the bike...

I got tired of dropping my LT after about the third time... Got a CLC instead...

Much better weight distribution.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in