What would cause this ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 10:16 am Thread Starter
cwo

What would cause this ?

Howdy,

Just got my 05 LT out of the shop. Had a slight miss at idle, and they found the breather tube/hose was cracked. Now it idles perfect..........but at 2000 rpm it is surging from 2,000 to 3,000 rpm.
Any ideas what would cause this??

Thanks,

Chris Ogle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11151465009_1_B.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	35830  

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 10:38 am

Re: What would cause this ?

Heat and poor quality component.

Heard a theory that oil additives may contribute.

B D R
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 10:58 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If they replaced that hose then they had the fuel rail and throttle bodies off. Chances are one of the injector connectors did not get "snapped" back on. That happened to me only it was running like crap about 3,000 rpm not just surging. Once I locked the connector back on all was well. You can pull the tupperware on that side and give each of the connectors a tug. If one is not locked it will pop right off.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 11:41 am Thread Starter
cwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
If they replaced that hose then they had the fuel rail and throttle bodies off. Chances are one of the injector connectors did not get "snapped" back on. That happened to me only it was running like crap about 3,000 rpm not just surging. Once I locked the connector back on all was well. You can pull the tupperware on that side and give each of the connectors a tug. If one is not locked it will pop right off.
Thanks John, I will call Engle Motors in KC on Tuesday and see if they want me to check injector connectors before bringing it back in. The folks at Engles have always been good to work with. I am really surprised they didn't notice the surging. .

Again, thanks for your help

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
Thanks John, I will call Engle Motors in KC on Tuesday and see if they want me to check injector connectors before bringing it back in. The folks at Engles have always been good to work with. I am really surprised they didn't notice the surging. .

Again, thanks for your help

Chris Ogle
When I had the surging problem after my clutch replacement I found a vacuum line off. Might want to check those as well.

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
1998 Goldwing Aspencade (58K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired
(509-760-6382) if you are in the area and need help
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 2:38 pm
Super Moderator

Ask them if they test rode the bike, when warm and with the tupperware off . . .

Anytime you are working on the injectors, the interface to the airbox above, the boots
below, the crankcase breather hose assembly or the electrical connections of the
injectors chances are that they did not properly reconnect stuff - ask me how I know!!!

With most left side maintenance I never put the tupperware back until I have ridden a few
miles and checked everything out - its such a pain to go back in and find errors on my part!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Wink Re: What would cause this ?

Hi Chris! The quote is what I found to be causing my "hunting idle", which is where it would sit there at idle and increase & decrease repetitively. If any of the vacuum hoses is off or even loose it can create the vacuum leak which is classic for this type symptom. Pretty easy to fix once you remove the left side tupperware: Just push the loose hose back on!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog1946
When I had the surging problem after my clutch replacement I found a vacuum line off. Might want to check those as well.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This time of year I doubt they test ride anything after it's fixed unless it was brought in for a ride-ability issue. Too hot and too busy in the service shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in