Better way to store $$ for tolls? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Better way to store $$ for tolls?

i tape 3 quarters together, 2 quarters together, have a piece of tape with dimes on it taped to the top of the radio, and the same with nickles, all in the odiments box.

I roll single dollar bills into tube individual tubes and have 5 bills folden width ways in half.

Any one got suggestions for better ways to manage paying for tolls?

The big problem is having to stop, take off my glove,open the lid, pay, put my glove back on and then go.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Re: Better way to store $$ for tolls?

Bob, I think you have a good handle on the problem. I sometimes take a toll bridge across the columbia river and it is a pain in the ass to have to dig for toll money. For me the toll is 50˘ so I slip 2 quarters into a convenient piece of trim on my gloves when I leave the house. When I get to the toll booth enough of the quarters show that the toll person just removes them and off I go.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 28 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I would just but dollar bills in the odiments compartment then I don't need to take off the gloves.

Now I just have an Ez-pass and drive on through. Works in most east coast states.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 28 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Illinois has iPass. Works for other states, also. I don't even have the device on the bike. Toll passes can read your license and debit it off the database (if plate is registered).
If you "blow" a toll, it can always be paid online at your convenience. Even in Illinois!
I guess you're looking for a "coinage" way to pay. I still have a quarter/dime/nickel dispenser that you can thumb the coins from. They fill into a spring loaded container for each denomination and also fits in the oddments compartment.
I'm much happier with the tech way of paying, though.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 28 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Garage

Well, I have a suggestion for your state. Come into the 21st Century.
Here they don't use money for the tolls, they use a little electronic box that charges your toll onto your account electronically.
And you just keep money on your account on your computer. No sending in money by mail, no driving down to the counter to pay in cash.
We have seen the future and arrived into it. I can't believe I'm this old and made it.
It's called FasTrak.
On the toll roads here, they are going to stop allowing anyone to stop and pay in cash. It makes sense to me as a rider, and driver. I don't want to stop, I don't want to fiddle for bills or coins, nor for change, and I don't have to.
By law the system functions state wide, and so on a visit to San Francisco I use it the same way on the Golden Gate Bridge (a famous bridge) and other bay bridges.
As to you guys, I remember buses from many years ago, and they had a silver metal box, with rows vertical of coins, lowest to highest denomination, each with a lever at the bottom, which, when depressed, would spit a coin into your hand. When you were to receive change, the driver would reach over, depress the lever here and there, the appropriate change would drop into his hand, and he would hand it to you.
I don't know how often the driver washed his hands.
On the fast track system, it don't matter.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #6 of 28 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 7:39 pm

I keep my money in my money clip, we don't have tolls in Wi.
post #7 of 28 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
i tape 3 quarters together, 2 quarters together, have a piece of tape with dimes on it taped to the top of the radio, and the same with nickles, all in the odiments box.

I roll single dollar bills into tube individual tubes and have 5 bills folden width ways in half.

Any one got suggestions for better ways to manage paying for tolls?

The big problem is having to stop, take off my glove,open the lid, pay, put my glove back on and then go.

Best from Tucson
Bob
I pull up far enough that my wife can pay the toll! That is the best solution I have found to managing toll money.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 28 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Garage

"I keep my money in my money clip, we don't have tolls in Wi."

Indeed you don't, Keyhole. And you also don't have the Golden Gate Bridge, nor the bypass road. When you are in this neighborhood, I will gladly pay your toll on the bypass road. You may then determine if you like it or not.

Have the wife pay? Oh, that is the best really. It reminds me of guys who say to me, "oh, nice bike. I wish I could get a bike like that, but my wife wouldn't let me".
(Yes, they do actually say that, believe it or not).
I respond, "why not do what some of us do. Get the wife to buy the motorcycle for you.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #9 of 28 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 9:20 pm

Garage

Oh I see it's comedy hour
How about avoiding the toll road altogether. I lost a couple $$ bills preparing to pay a toll on our local Skyway btw Chi. and IN That was my last ride on I-90. I keep coin change in a tube container in my fanny pouch but the glove and handling is still an issue. I have seen one of the spring loaded things on an older LT where my Nav mount is but what if loose coins fall inside the steering collar. High tech is last resort.
ride safe
post #10 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 1:41 am

I pay tolls very rarely but when I do I ust the tecnique I mentioned above. Why couldn't one just put a bunch of quarters in a tube or change in one of those little change holders and put it in the oddments compartment. Wheel up to the toll booth and if there is a person in the booth just hand the person in the booth the whole thing and let them make their own change. Not so effective if there is no person there.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 2:44 am

We don't have so many Toll Roads in Europe but once in a while you find some and when I travel in the states I have some Dollar Bills and some Quarters in the oddments compartment. To get easy to the Money I wear Leather gloves without fingers like Bicycle rider use them. It's easy then to handle.

Manfred
post #12 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 6:07 am

I think toll roads are a scam. We are already paying for roads via all sorts of taxes and fees.

Having said that, if they are going to extract even more funds from me, they can just wait for me to put down my side stand, dig out my wallet, pay, get a receipt, store it and then ride away. In consideration for fellow travelers, hustle on through when there are folks behind me.

Still pissed at the state of WV from a few years ago. Was riding in the rain, came up to a toll both, combination of oil and grease drippings from cars along with rain ended up dropping the fat girl right there in front of the toll taker. He had a smart ass comment, I picked it up and rode off without paying the toll.

B D R
post #13 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 8:15 am

Blue Tack or in my case White Tack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download 072012 087.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	35829  

May you be in Heaven half an hour before the Devil knows your dead
post #14 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 8:32 am
Super Moderator

I have tried a variety of methods and have settled on the following:

1. I own an iPass and use it most often

2. If I need to stop and pay a toll - I stop and pay the toll - I take my time take off my gloves
concentrate on not slipping on the oil patch - on occasion I will shut the bike off - I try to
make this a less stressful moment and not treat it like a NASCAR pit stop or an Iron Butt
Rally . . . and like all Italian race car drivers I do not care what is in my rear view mirror!!

Just saying . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #15 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 9:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Oh I see it's comedy hour
How about avoiding the toll road altogether. I lost a couple $$ bills preparing to pay a toll on our local Skyway btw Chi. and IN That was my last ride on I-90. I keep coin change in a tube container in my fanny pouch but the glove and handling is still an issue. I have seen one of the spring loaded things on an older LT where my Nav mount is but what if loose coins fall inside the steering collar. High tech is last resort.
ride safe
Hey, I wasn't joking! My wife really does pay the tolls when we encounter a toll booth!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #16 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 10:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

I put my change into some 35mm film containers (remember film?) that I keep in my tank bag. Works for the few toll roads I can't otherwise avoid.

Motor On ,/'

post #17 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for pointing out I-Pass, EZ-pass, handing over a $1(s), and handing over a change container.

I cannot remember having to pay a toll since I've been living in AZ.

I looked up EZ pass and discovered that 15 states accept EZ pass. On my way to and from Maine I could use an EZ pass in Maine, NH, MA, NY, PA, WV, V, Il, IA, and OH. All in all, that is a nice block of states, especially if I use a northern route to Akron Ohio and then across NY, MA into ME. At Akron I could go across PA, NY into CT and then MA to ME.

It seems as if the least expensive way to get a transponder and account for that system might be from IL?

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #18 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Having recently completed a pass thru that area from FL to Niagra Falls thru to Maine and then down 95 and over to WV, VA and south to Orlando, I would recommend that you pass on the E-Z PASS.

It was easier just to stop, pay the toll and move on...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #19 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

What problems did you have with EZ-pass Paul?
TNX
Bob

post #20 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
What problems did you have with EZ-pass Paul?
TNX
Bob
My Florida EZ-Pass did not work outside of the Florida Sun Pass system.

If I recall correctly, you need to register your EZ-PASS with each state so that they can get your tolls..

Maybe I miss understood, but here is a WIKI page that has some good info on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #21 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 10:51 pm

What's a toll road?

2006 K1200LT - Vianca
2007 HD Ultra
2006 HD Ultra
2004 Honda Goldwing
2001 Honda Goldwing
1996 Honda Goldwing
2000 Honda Aero
???? Honda V65 Magnum
1992 HD Softtail
1976 HD Sportster
1973 HD Sportster
post #22 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 11:00 pm

Paying is not much of a problem. The difficulties come in trying to hold the big mac, dip the fries in ketchup and shifting while holding the handle bars with a knee. Not too easy!

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #23 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Paying is not much of a problem. The difficulties come in trying to hold the big mac, dip the fries in ketchup and shifting while holding the handle bars with a knee. Not too easy!
You need a shake to balance the load.

2006 K1200LT - Vianca
2007 HD Ultra
2006 HD Ultra
2004 Honda Goldwing
2001 Honda Goldwing
1996 Honda Goldwing
2000 Honda Aero
???? Honda V65 Magnum
1992 HD Softtail
1976 HD Sportster
1973 HD Sportster
post #24 of 28 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 11:58 pm Thread Starter

Hi Paul

I used that same wiki article to discover which states have an interlinked EX-pass type of system.

Just above the list of states, and what each state charges, is this statement:
"E-ZPass users are not required to maintain their account with an agency in their home state. Subscribers can open an E-ZPass account with any member of the IAG regardless of residency. This means that users have the option of choosing an agency based on the fees that it charges, effectively allowing them to circumvent transponder and account maintenance fees.[4"

Seems is if it would be a lot easier to get a transponder for IL, load some $$ onto it, and then not have to actually stop at a booth. Stopping doesn't bother me as I have a chance to stretch out my legs. But, it is more time consuming, especially with having to take my gloves off to get $$ from the odiments box.

Plus, I feel sorry for the cage behind me. Bet the driver didn't figure it would take a mc so long to just pay the toll.

Best from Tucson
Bob

post #25 of 28 Old Jul 8th, 2012, 1:06 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
My Florida EZ-Pass did not work outside of the Florida Sun Pass system.
Nope. And if you had done the slightest bit of research, you'd have known that.

But don't blame E-ZPass for that, blame the SunPass people. They were offered the chance to join the E-ZPass group, but declined.

E-ZPass covers most NorthEastern states, and a few MidWestern ones. More are being added, slowly.

FL, TX, OK, and CA all have their own systems, none of which are compatible with anyone else's.

My GTL has three transponders tucked under the front fairing. E-ZPass, SunPass, and FasTrak. That covers most of the US. For TX, I had a friend add my plate to his TxTAg account, and for OK, well, I just didn't do anything. Fortunately, I never hit any toll roads in Oklahoma . . .

I got my E-ZPass from the Peace Bridge people. At the time, they had no recurring fees, although they did want a credit card so they could add funds whenever I dipped below a certain amount. I'm sure there are other no-fee places as well, but it pays to do your research.

Or, there's always this option:

Don't laugh. I've used one on the bike and it worked very well. The hard part is figuring out where to mount it . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #26 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 11:30 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Nope. And if you had done the slightest bit of research, you'd have known that.

Or, there's always this option:

Don't laugh. I've used one on the bike and it worked very well. The hard part is figuring out where to mount it . . .
Is this a universal speed pass
Oops! your age is showing street car conductor or stage coach attendant. I have one of those but it still comes down to taking your gloves off at record speed, dispensing coins and being ready to go before road rage sets in. Behind you. Put in on your gun belt.
ride safe
post #27 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 5:32 pm

I have a TollTag on our vehicles, trailer included. Actually, the LPs are registered to tags (transponders) and the system reads the LP and bills our acct. Sadly, as with so many other things, Texas does not play well with others and my TollTag does not work out of state.

It does work with other Texas toll road systems and is compatible with TxTag. Big whippy $#!+.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #28 of 28 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 6:04 pm

I just throw a few quarters under the gas door. Seems to be pretty easy to fish out a couple with most gloves on.
I have avoided the BS tolls in Seattle by not going there

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in