Spare FD opinions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Spare FD opinions

I have the opportunity to get a spare FD off of a 2005 LT for 170.00 with shipping. It was taken off for a trike conversion and is in good condition and no metal chips when oil was drained out. Is it worth having one for a spare at that price? I think that is about 1/2 the cost of a rebuild if my present one goes bad so I am not sure if it is good insurance or not. I suppose if I were to take a long trip it would be good for a failure away fro ma BMW dealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 2:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Spare FD opinions

That is a good price and of course you could always sell it for at least that much in the future.
If you'd have the funds available why not?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
That is a good price and of course you could always sell it for at least that much in the future.
If you'd have the funds available why not?
I am going to get it then. Good insurnace policy I guess.
Wonder if there will be any way to tell if it is in good condition while it is not on an LT ?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 2:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

For $170 I'd pick it up. Then pack it in a box, along with a printed copy of the installation instructions and any special tools needed, all ready to be shipped out. So if you do have a failure out on the road, your wife or a friend could just pop it in the post to wherever you happen to be.

Most dealers or decent mechanics could do the swap without too much trouble, if they had the part available.

As you said, it's cheap insurance.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Get it - that is a good price. Plus once you have one you will never have a final drive failure. I have had my spare for five years now and it has been on four different bikes but never on mine!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Get it - that is a good price. Plus once you have one you will never have a final drive failure. I have had my spare for five years now and it has been on four different bikes but never on mine!!

John is absolutely correct. Having a spare final drive is like having a fire extinguisher handy. If you have it, you'll never need it.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:33 pm

Garage

Or just get a spare bike. If yours breaks down, just use the other bike.
Or, if your bike is too old, and you worry, or are concerned that it might break down, get a new bike.
They come with all new parts.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #8 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David13
Or, if your bike is too old, and you worry, or are concerned that it might break down, get a new bike.
dc
Hey now here is a smart man, WOW !

I see you ride an R bike

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #9 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 7:44 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
dc
That's what I did. No down time when you have two LT's .

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
dc
I think I am going to file this reply for future use...where else can you get this kind of wisdom for free. Thanks Dave.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #11 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Garage

Thank you thank you. Departing wisdom of this nature, gratuitous is nothing but a pleasure for me.
Unfortunately I cannot take my own advice on the two bike idea. Due to indecision, I end up never going anyplace.
I can't decide which bike to take. It's bad enough with a car, also.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #12 of 23 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 8:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
So, John, can I have your phone number so that I don't have to get a spare FD of my own?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 6:56 am

SO here is a serious question.

IF you have an extended warranty for the next 3 years on your LT, would having access to a replacement final drive be wise?

The reason I am posing this question is

1. Would the dealer/warranty get a me a new final drive if mine failed?
1a IF new how long to get in stock?

2. Would they repair mine?
2a. Any idea what the dealer would charge to rebuild a final drive?
2b. How long for a dealer to rebuild a final drive
2c. I would think that a rebuilt final drive from one of our members who repair final drives all the time would be better than one done by a dealer who might have only done a final drive a few times in his career.

3. I think that the warranty covers repair costs independent on who does them. So if the warranty is for a rebuild, I would assume I could get a rebuilt one from a member and have a dealer install ?

Thoughts?

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #14 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 7:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
SO here is a serious question.

IF you have an extended warranty for the next 3 years on your LT, would having access to a replacement final drive be wise?

The reason I am posing this question is

1. Would the dealer/warranty get a me a new final drive if mine failed?
1a IF new how long to get in stock?

2. Would they repair mine?
2a. Any idea what the dealer would charge to rebuild a final drive?
2b. How long for a dealer to rebuild a final drive
2c. I would think that a rebuilt final drive from one of our members who repair final drives all the time would be better than one done by a dealer who might have only done a final drive a few times in his career.

3. I think that the warranty covers repair costs independent on who does them. So if the warranty is for a rebuild, I would assume I could get a rebuilt one from a member and have a dealer install ?

Thoughts?
I, for one, cannot answer your questions because I have no extended warranty anymore. And here is the irony, I will buy a spare FD but will not buy an extended warranty due to the cost of one on a 2005 model.
For the $170.00 paid I guess I will feel better if it does go out because I can have the spare in that same day, in theory. At that point I can have the old one looked at, hopefully by someone on bmwlt.com. It just seems to be the one thing that could let me down on the spot and I like having the spare even if it is just a "feel good" type of thing. I guess if I have to use it and find it is bad too then I will be screwed roy-al and all will have been vain. But right now I feel pretty good having the spare!
But you do bring up good questions and something for others to ponder on.

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #15 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 11:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

You did the right thing buying the spare rear drive. I have several that I have rebuilt and keep on hand for myself or others that need them.
Currently running a "CharlieVT"rebuild so I will probably never need them. Although
he did say to use this only for emergencies as the roller bearing was loose on the shaft.
I will run it until it breaks and replace it.

Dan
post #16 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieC
I have the opportunity to get a spare FD off of a 2005 LT for 170.00 with shipping. It was taken off for a trike conversion and is in good condition and no metal chips when oil was drained out. Is it worth having one for a spare at that price? I think that is about 1/2 the cost of a rebuild if my present one goes bad so I am not sure if it is good insurance or not. I suppose if I were to take a long trip it would be good for a failure away fro ma BMW dealer.

If you do not buy it, PLEASE let me! I fear I may be needing one soon. PM me with details.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #17 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
If you do not buy it, PLEASE let me! I fear I may be needing one soon. PM me with details.
Pretty sure he already bought it.

Do you want me to drop off one of my spares with our son in Dallas tomorrow?
post #18 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Pretty sure he already bought it.

Do you want me to drop off one of my spares with our son in Dallas tomorrow?
Sorry I made the purchase and it is on the way FEDX

good luck, I am sure you will find one

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by WillieC; Jul 7th, 2012 at 2:08 pm. Reason: Spelling errors
post #19 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
That's what I did. No down time when you have two LT's .
Ya know the more I think about this the better it sounds!
I wonder if I could tow the second one behind my main one? This way if I have a problem just switch and tow the other one to a dealer for repairs !!

Perfect solution !

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #20 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
You did the right thing buying the spare rear drive. I have several that I have rebuilt and keep on hand for myself or others that need them.
Currently running a "CharlieVT"rebuild so I will probably never need them. Although
he did say to use this only for emergencies as the roller bearing was loose on the shaft.
I will run it until it breaks and replace it.

Dan
Howdy Dan,

I am interested to read that you are running a FD with a "fixed" tapered roller bearing. I would have repaired that with Loctite 660. Loctite 660 "....possesses excellent gap cure characteristics. Typical applications include restoring correct fits on worn shafts, spun beraings, and
damaged keyways."

I have a few other FDs out there with the same fix.
I've often wondered how that repair will hold up.
How many miles on the repair so far?
Does the lube look okay at changes? (Dark lube due to aluminum suspension would be the first sign that the bearing has started spinning).

Best Regards,
Curtis

Loctite 660:
http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_da...g_Compound.pdf

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jul 7th, 2012 at 7:43 pm.
post #21 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieC
I agree with others, that's a good price as long as the seller is a straight shooter, I've seen a few that were sold as "good" drives that clearly had problems when opened for inspection.

Grab it and put in on the shelf; as others have stated it imparts good karma.

If you are thinking of installing it for use it makes sense to do a preemptive rebuild.
2005s have the highest incidence of the spun tapered roller bearing, so that's a good thing to look for when the drive is open.
post #22 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Howdy Dan,

I am interested to read that you are running a FD with a "fixed" tapered roller bearing. I would have repaired that with Loctite 660. Loctite 660 "....possesses excellent gap cure characteristics. Typical applications include restoring correct fits on worn shafts, spun beraings, and
damaged keyways."

I have a few other FDs out there with the same fix.
I've often wondered how that repair will hold up.
How many miles on the repair so far?
Does the lube look okay at changes? (Dark lube due to aluminum suspension would be the first sign that the bearing has started spinning).

Best Regards,
Curtis
Greetings Curtis,
Drive only has 8k miles on it. Took off the dealer rebuilt drive when I had to replace the
tranny output seal and I was curious to see the quality of the dealer rebuild.
Undershimmed by .15 to .2mm
Changed oil once so far,looked ok. Will keep a close eye on the color.

Best,
Dan Martin
post #23 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I had one almost the entire time I had my LT.. Never needed it...

Ralph got it one hot September Sunday.....LOL !

Glad you picked it up.. Just guarantees you'll never need it..
And when a friend needs it, You can be the hero.
It's good karma....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in