My New LT and ERC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 9:23 am Thread Starter

My New LT and ERC

Greetings LT Forum Members

My new 06 K12LT and I just completed a Washington State certified Experienced Rider Course (ERC) sponsored by Westside Honda in Spokane WA. The weather presented hypothermic temperatures hovering around 42 Degrees with accompanying rain showers all day long. The skills portion of the course was conducted near the Spokane International Airport on a huge blacktop surfaced riding area. The course included informal lectures and discussions, seven or eight practical exercises, a skills assessment/evaluation, and written test. Did I mention the 42 Degrees and accompanying rain showers from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM? Lessons Learned:

Ten students participated in the course while riding their own machines: Harleys, a V Strom, a 68 BMW, Shadows, a GS 1300?? Suzuki, and a few others. Students’ riding gear consisted of mostly black leather jackets, chaps or jeans, ponchos and plastic bags (rain gear) and a few had adequate rain riding gear. Most riders experienced a miserable day and brief bouts with hypothermia. I was quickly hated by the entire class because of my Gortex outerwear, heated seats and handgrips, and integrated ABS brakes.

All riding skill exercises were conducted at 2 – 20 MPH. The K12 LT requires great rider skill at speeds lower than 5 MPH. Many of these exercises required that the student shifts to second gear then perform a cornering, counter-steer, or braking maneuver. The K12LT does not like second gear at speeds less than 15 MPH

One exercise consisted of performing a Figure-8 inside a painted line box approximately 40x25 feet square (may be larger). The LT and I found it challenging. Matter of fact, after the course was over, I tested the turning radius of the LT by repeating the skill test by using the feet-assisted, handle-bars cocked method. The LT cannot turn sharply enough to stay in the box (reminds me of my old 89 F250 Extend Cab – needs a football field to turn around)

Two braking exercises (cornering and in-line emergency stop) produced some interesting comparisons (remember the raining all day comment?). The K12LT consistently stopped in less than half the distance of every other bike on the course. The ERC Staff could not believe the (not so nimble at low speeds – wonderful above 15 MPH) LT’s stable stopping power.

Lastly, the ERC knocked the rust off of a few of my riding skills. I learned a few gems:

Proper riding gear is an important consideration in mitigating associated safety factors (fatigue, hypothermia, body protection)

Older riders (over 40) develop rust on their riding skills – practice sessions should be incorporated into your riding event at least weekly

The 06 K12LT has a few constraints, however, it has hundreds of rider comfort and safety advantages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 9:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serebigal

One exercise consisted of performing a Figure-8 inside a painted line box approximately 40x25 feet square (may be larger). The LT and I found it challenging. Matter of fact, after the course was over, I tested the turning radius of the LT by repeating the skill test by using the feet-assisted, handle-bars cocked method. The LT cannot turn sharply enough to stay in the box (reminds me of my old 89 F250 Extend Cab – needs a football field to turn around)

Try the box again after you have ridden her for a few weeks. No you cannot do it paddle footed but she will do the "box" just fine under power with the right technique. Biggest thing is confidence and pointing your head where you want to be, not where you are going.

Enjoy the ride and welcome to the fold.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 1:08 pm

The LT can do the box, in fact it can do the BRC u-turn box which is smaller. Yes, it takes a lot of pratice. To turn the LT, you must counter lean, turn your head and lean. You can slip the cluch not as important than the counter lean.

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 3:15 pm

LT Turning Circle

Interesting comments - yesterday I did a slow-riding course on my LT and had great difficulty getting the same small turning circle as the instructor's Honda Pan European. Although my technique, and the size of my turning circle, improved significantly during the course, there was no way I was going to manage the same tight turns due to the wheelbase and limited lock on the LT. English country roads, especially junctions on singe track roads, certainly challenge new riders on this machine. Another few thousand miles practice needed obviously...!!
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Al, Just give it time. I took an ERC down near Daytona after I'd been riding Red Rover for about 6 months. I was able to do the figure 8 with about 2 feet to spare on the 24 foot side of the box. I rode that whole exercise in second gear. I'm finding I can spin her around on a two lane road if I don't think about it and just do it.

Welcome to the group and enjoy the ride.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 8:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep practicing, but I still can't envision when I'll need need to perform a Figure-8 inside the constraints of two parking stalls. Maybe at a Harley Rally right in front of a pub. Hope I don't knock any of their bikes over. Shouting "NEW OWNER" just won't fly!
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 8:56 am

Quote:

All riding skill exercises were conducted at 2 – 20 MPH. The K12 LT requires great rider skill at speeds lower than 5 MPH. Many of these exercises required that the student shifts to second gear then perform a cornering, counter-steer, or braking maneuver. The K12LT does not like second gear at speeds less than 15 MPH

actually the box is 20ft wide and the LT can do it fine staying in the box. ask some that took the ERC in FL with Jeff and Lou from adventure rider training

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 9:00 am

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep practicing, but I still can't envision when I'll need need to perform a Figure-8 inside the constraints of two parking stalls.
ok when you lean the lt for the box put your weight to the oppisite side of the turn, (slide your butt to right when turning left) turn your head and look to the center point of the circle you are trying to do, lean that bike it will make the front tire ride further up the sidewall creating a smaller turning radius.

find a open parking lot, put a small cone down strat by riding larger diameter circles around it, make them smaller as you get more practice. mark off a 24ft area with cone in center, then move down to 20ft

Now as far as ever needed to do that, well yes yyou will one day, the best thing this will teach is how to handle your big heavy bike intight panic situations

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:26 am

Hey Al,

I use a place that works well for practicing the box maneuver and figure 8's locally and no one else is generally around!!! Braking exercises work well here too!!

Be glad to show it to you anytime soon!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #10 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Thumbs up Box is definitely doable

Took the ERC at the MOA rally in LIMA last year. After being slightly outside the box on my first run, all subsequent runs were well inside the box. Paddle footing at full lock is not the true test of its turning radius. The hard head turn looking, full leaning and powering through the u turn will get you the tightest radius. Takes practice but will pay off.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

post #11 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 7:44 pm

Ok I just had to say something this lt and mine is an 05 is the best damn turning and cornering thing i have ridden i did the coarse no trouble at all in the box . power through corner was a blast but my rideing style is a bit diffrent kinda way over the seat and forward . But it works well for me. We did the dragon last year and i rode it with the sport bikes . damn center stand . sparky thing. well it really does drive good never ever been a doubt in my mind it was going to make it through a corner. jim

Jim Giordano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in