Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Townsend, WA - USA
Re: Anyone replaced their stock front speakers with the Polk Audio DB5251?
Procrastinated a long time on this project but it is done. First off - I had Baris repair my head unit by upgrading the amp and adding an AUX input. That, and the fact that I had one blown speaker pushed to to put in the 100W speakers.
The trunk speakers weren't too bad. I needed to modify the tweeters by using a Dremel tool and cutting away the top part of it so the tweeter speaker would sit flush in the mount. I used some weather stripping from Menards to make sure it all fit nice and tight and didn't let any water in. The rear woofers were pretty straight forward. I mounted the crossovers in the mirror compartment in the trunk lid. That was a treat because I wanted to keep the wiring clean so I pulled the right side wires back to the left and ran everything through the left side hole which made it a little cramped. I did run the actual speaker wires on the output side of the crossover out the right side (there is a channel molded in the lib but you have to drill a hold in the under side to access it just like the left side has.) To do it over, I would have just soldered some extension wires on the right side speaker leads and ran them in the right side channel.
Fronts were another story. That was WORK! BMW cut in custom holes in the metal for the BMW speakers. I had to take a Dremel with a lot of fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels and open up the holes to make them for the standard round speaker mounts. Once I did, I fit in the woofers with some weather stripping on the back side to get the height perfect and make them weather tight. The tweeters again needed to have the grill cut off to sit flush as well as a little side trimming to allow the tabs to hold them in place. I used a few pieces of stacked weather stripping to put some upward pressure on the tweeter to hold it firmly in place. I didn't use the cross overs in the front. There is just no good place I could find to put them. Instead I cut the original tweeter wires and soldered them to the new tweeters to use the stock high pass choke.
Put it all back together and it sounds great! Way more bass than stock. It was weird at first to actually feel the bass in my chest as I was driving down the road. No - it isn't like the big thumpers in the back of a car, but it is a lot more bass than stock.
All-in-all it was a lot of work but I had to keep reminding myself that it is a one time mod for long term enjoyment. I would say I spend 6 hours on the trunk and about the same on the fronts.
I do have pictures and can share them if anyone is interested.