Rough Idle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 7:07 am Thread Starter

Rough Idle

I have a 2005 K1200LT with less than 3k miles. This is my first BMW bike. Is it normal for the bike to idle a little uneven and rough? The tach needle jumps back and forth between 1000 and approximately 950-975 rpms. I especially notice my right handgrip shaking quite a bit more than the left. Shouldn't there be a steady smooth idle along with the tach needle remaining at 1k rpms? What could be the cause of this? What can be done to get this idle to run smooth and even? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 7:27 am

I am not sure about where you are from, however having just taken my bike out yesterday from its winter sleeping place it also ran rough. I can only attribute this to gasoline that is 5 months old. This may not be your case as I am not sure what part of the country you are from. I am sure mine will get better with fresh high octane!

Bankerboy

03 K1200LT
67 XLH
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 7:13 pm

One possibility is the vacuum lines. A search of the site and the Hall of Wisdom, should give you some leads. Here's one and here's another for your perusal.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing2pc
I have a 2005 K1200LT with less than 3k miles. This is my first BMW bike. Is it normal for the bike to idle a little uneven and rough? The tach needle jumps back and forth between 1000 and approximately 950-975 rpms. I especially notice my right handgrip shaking quite a bit more than the left. Shouldn't there be a steady smooth idle along with the tach needle remaining at 1k rpms? What could be the cause of this? What can be done to get this idle to run smooth and even? Thanks.
I have a new 05 with a little less miles than you. I also did not feel the LT was idling as smooth as it should have been. Last weekend I pulled the stock sparkplugs (surprised at the condition of the plugs for such short service) and replaced them with NGK Iridium (DCPR7EIX .032 gap). It was the same thing when I first purchased a new 03. This plug eliminated my idle problem on it as well. The LT fuel mixture is very rich,as you can tell by the carbon buildup on the tail pipe. Plus we are in the break-in period still and you will find the LT engine does get smoother with time and further along the break-in period. Took a ride yesterday, and today, and the idle was rock solid. I can't explain it but the LT just seems to run better on these plugs for me. I assume they are producing a better burn over the stock plugs. Are you running premium gas as well? It also would not hurt to mention this concern to your dealer (so it's on record) in the event you have a more serious issue that results in warranty work later.

Hopefully this will not turn into a sparkplug debate.

May we never find the end of the road!

oknplm

Perry Ridgway

Iridium IX®

The Spark Plug Serious Enthusiasts Rely On
Iridium IX Spark Plugs are the most technologically advanced high performance plugs available. Featuring a 0.6 mm iridium center electrode tip, they offer superior ignitability without sacrificing durability. The tapered ground electrode increases flame kernel expansion, while the superior heat range design is ideally suited to the demands of high performance environments. Specially designed to meet the needs of serious enthusiasts, Iridium IX Spark Plugs offer outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and long life. When you demand the most from your engine, rely on the proven performance of NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs.

NGK's new Iridium IX is the personification of these qualities and takes premium performance spark plugs to a new level. A level that is expected from the world leader in spark plugs.

The future has never looked so good.

post #5 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 9:00 am

My '01 has always had a somewhat lumpy idle, just about what you describe. The engine just seems a little "cammy" at idle speed. Ever notice the lope of a car engine with a big cam in it? I've never worried about it and it has never changed since I got it, now with 65K on the clock.

A vacuum leak would cause a much greater variation in idle speed than you have. Again, what you describe is about the same as mine.

Also, for whatever reason (probably just how the engine vibrations transmit harmonically through the frame) my right handgrip does seem to vibrate more than the left. The best solution is to bolt some fark.... , er, accessories onto the bars to change the resonance of the bar.

As for the idle concern, just don't spend a lot of time idling. Get out and ride that sucka!

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in