Clutch Replacement - 2005 LT - UGH! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 Old Jun 30th, 2012, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Clutch Replacement - 2005 LT - UGH!

Finally got this started, almost wish I had not. Stuff is coming apart as expected but very concerned about getting it back together properly and in a timely manner. I have the BMW and Clymer manuals, as well as BlauBeemer's excellent write up of the process. Seems so simple, but since I have no understanding of the "magic" that happens inside engines or transmissions, I am SOOOOOO far in over my head!

So far, I have gotten all of the way to having removed the swing arm and the clutch slave removed. The banjo bolt came off one side of the slave but the other will not break free. Also, with the slave off, I see that the rod is too far in to grab.

QUESTION: If I mangle the bolt getting it off the slave, what are the specs for a replacement? (DOes anyone in D/FW have a spare I could get this weekend if needed?)

QUESTION: Should the rod behind the slave be where I could grab it with my fingers? Could it be so far in because my clutch is worn to nothing?

QUESTION: Can I remove the transmission if I cannot get the rod out first?

QUESTION: Does anyone want to come over and finish the job with/for me and get paid $$$? Wife has approved disbursement of funds.

No doubt there will be more questions if/when I am able to get further into this.

Thanks, all, in advance for any insights.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 2:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Clutch Replacement - 2005 LT - UGH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Finally got this started, almost wish I had not. Stuff is coming apart as expected but very concerned about getting it back together properly and in a timely manner. I have the BMW and Clymer manuals, as well as BlauBeemer's excellent write up of the process. Seems so simple, but since I have no understanding of the "magic" that happens inside engines or transmissions, I am SOOOOOO far in over my head!

So far, I have gotten all of the way to having removed the swing arm and the clutch slave removed. The banjo bolt came off one side of the slave but the other will not break free. Also, with the slave off, I see that the rod is too far in to grab.

QUESTION: If I mangle the bolt getting it off the slave, what are the specs for a replacement? (DOes anyone in D/FW have a spare I could get this weekend if needed?)

QUESTION: Should the rod behind the slave be where I could grab it with my fingers? Could it be so far in because my clutch is worn to nothing?

QUESTION: Can I remove the transmission if I cannot get the rod out first?

QUESTION: Does anyone want to come over and finish the job with/for me and get paid $$$? Wife has approved disbursement of funds.

No doubt there will be more questions if/when I am able to get further into this.

Thanks, all, in advance for any insights.
I wish we lived closer so i can help you. I have bolts that I can mail you for the slave cylinder if you need them, however I believe you can substitute 6mm bolts. I'll measure them when I get home from WCR if you need me to. The clutch pushrod is in deep and has a felt ring around it that keeps it snug in the transmission input shaft. no worries. carefully grip the end of the rod with some needle nose pliers and pull with a twist and it will come right out. If you want any question answered just PM me or post here and I'll do my best to help; I know others here will do the same.

You are into it this deep you know you can complete it. You will be ok if you keep the right attitude and not get in a big hurry.

PM me if you want my phone number.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #3 of 83 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
I wish we lived closer so i can help you. I have bolts that I can mail you for the slave cylinder if you need them, however I believe you can substitute 6mm bolts. I'll measure them when I get home from WCR if you need me to. The clutch pushrod is in deep and has a felt ring around it that keeps it snug in the transmission input shaft. no worries. carefully grip the end of the rod with some needle nose pliers and pull with a twist and it will come right out. If you want any question answered just PM me or post here and I'll do my best to help; I know others here will do the same.

You are into it this deep you know you can complete it. You will be ok if you keep the right attitude and not get in a big hurry.

PM me if you want my phone number.
I think he is talking about one of the Banjo fitting bolts, they cannot be substituted.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 83 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:01 am

Garage

Check around a bit more and you may be able to find someone. Maybe even someone in your neighborhood, retired, whom you see with the garage door open all the time, and a garage full of tools.
Just someone to stand by and give you some confidence.
Because that's all you need. More confidence. There is nothing in there any more complicated than the average person can understand and do.
When I do a job like that, about that point, sleeping at night, the entire job goes thru' my mind in my sleep.
Each part, each aspect, one part or area at a time. Just the reverse of how it came apart. New parts where needed.
And after it's all done, it's a good feeling of accomplishment.
But possibly just someone standing by to give you encouragement is all you need.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #5 of 83 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I think he is talking about one of the Banjo fitting bolts, they cannot be substituted.
And I have some of those too! Amazing what I've accumulated in the past ten years. Thx David!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #6 of 83 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 5:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You should be able to grab the rod with a pair of needle nose pliers. Can't remember if regular pliers will fit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 83 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Banjo Bolt is what I may need... May have to find one local as need to be rolling Wednesday.

Had some help today, Luc (LucFrancois) and Mark (MoralM) cam by this afternoon and we made good progress.

The transmission is out! Yay! But what a PITA...

I drained the fluids from engine, transmission, and FD at the start of the job, and I let the fluids drain for a long time to get out as much as possible. I learned today that even when it stops draining, the transmission still holds a fair bit of fluid. I learned this when the transmission was oriented topside down and Red Line came pouring out of the hole where the speed sensor goes! I am still alive because (a) Suzanne did not see it; and (b) I had a giant outdoor trash bag spread out under the bike to catch any such maladies. Trash bag = cheap life insurance!

QUESTION: Is it normal for there to be a large amount of grimy fuzz in the transmission housing? I presume it is clutch fibers. Have not yet gotten to opening the clutch housing; I will be doing that as soon as I get a new trash bag down on the floor.

Thanks for the ongoing encouragement, and a special thanks to Mark and Luc for coming by to help!

Now I am back to work...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 83 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 10:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes mine had tons of fuzz in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	35778  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 83 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

This is what mine looked like... Fuzz was very grimy.

Also, does that look like a leak around the splined shaft?

What is the best way to clean this all up?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2860.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	35779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2861.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	35780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2862.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	1,016.0 KB
ID:	35781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2863.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	35782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2864.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	35783  

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #10 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 1:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The good news is the front seal on your tranny is NOT leaking. Leave it alone. If the fuzz is oily it is more likely from the engine rear main and the housing shaft o-ring, leaking engine oil.

I used Castrol degreaser (purple liquid, sodium hydroxide based) and then doused it with water in a spray bottle to clean mine up. Just put down a large tupperware container to catch all the flow.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, John... again!

QUESTION: I presume the "front" seal is the one is pics 4 & 5, located around splined shaft on face of transmission that mounts to intermediate housing, and also known as input shaft seal, correct?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Last edited by deputy5211; Jul 2nd, 2012 at 4:18 pm.
post #12 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Clutch is out. No liquid oil is apparent, but there is a lot of grimy "fluff" in the clutch housing.

Looks like I chose well in electing to NOT ride the existing clutch to Wisconsin, as the clutch material seems to be just a couple of hairs above the rivets.

Time to clean everything up and start to re-assemble. Think I will be ok with putting the clutch back together; I am more concerned about getting the gearbox in place solo.

QUESTION: The manuals mention residual balance paint marks (white, yellow paint) on clutch parts and suggests rotating 120 degrees. What if I cannot see the marks?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #13 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:50 pm

best mark both pieces before disassembly so you can put it back together exactly the same

"white out" works well (typewriter correction fluid) - I keep a bottle around

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #14 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
best mark both pieces before disassembly so you can put it back together exactly the same

"white out" works well (typewriter correction fluid) - I keep a bottle around
Another wonder marker is a silver Sharpie permanent marker. You can get them at Walmart in a two pack. Wonderful for marking on dark objects.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #15 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 5:04 pm

Let me know if you need a hand and I will see if I can come on by when you are ready to mount the transmission. Since I helped yank it out I figure I might as well help you line it back up. After seeing that bike in pieces yesterday it was hard for me to believe that it would be ready for reassembly that quick. I want to know how you got in there to remove the clutch. That was some tight work space. And not to mention all the small pieces laying all around
post #16 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem
Let me know if you need a hand and I will see if I can come on by when you are ready to mount the transmission. Since I helped yank it out I figure I might as well help you line it back up. After seeing that bike in pieces yesterday it was hard for me to believe that it would be ready for reassembly that quick. I want to know how you got in there to remove the clutch. That was some tight work space. And not to mention all the small pieces laying all around
I put all of the small parts away in labelled bags yesterday after you and Luc left.

Grateful for your help, yesterday, and would be thrilled if you had the time and inclination to come by to help get the transmission back into place. I hope to be mounting the transmission later this evening or tomorrow, Tuesday. Now if I only knew someone with small hands (not you or I, for sure) who could put the starter and alternator wires back on as easily as he took them off...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #17 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I used Castrol degreaser (purple liquid, sodium hydroxide based) and then doused it with water in a spray bottle to clean mine up. Just put down a large tupperware container to catch all the flow.
O'Reilly Auto Parts did not have the Castrol, but they had another purple liquid degreaser, Super Clean heavy duty, that had sodium hydroxide in it. Worked wonders, and saved me who-knows-how-many cans of aerosol brake cleaner spray!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #18 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
Guess who screwed up...

Now what? Likely outcomes? Worst possible outcome?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #19 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:44 pm

I couldn't see any marks on my clutch when I pulled it. I put it back and it was fine.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #20 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
I couldn't see any marks on my clutch when I pulled it. I put it back and it was fine.............
That right there is some quality peace of mind! Thank you.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #21 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

Angry Leak Found, I guess Lone Star lost out on a fully paid clutch job

Leak on rear engine output shaft seal(s). I imagine this must be what goobered up the inside of the gearbox and the clutch. you can see the oil leaking down the back of the clutch housing in the last two photos.

Guess who is going to get a call from me tomorrow? I am half-tempted to load her up onto a trailer and haul the old gal to Austin to let them finish the job... tomorrow. Not that it would happen, but I am tempted. If I lived closer, I would visit in person and have an HLC with the owner, who has proven himself to be a reasonable person last time they FUBARed something.

Anyway... guess I will snap some photos of the interior of the intermediate housing and output shaft, then clean it up, replace the seals, and put the rebuilt clutch assembly back in so I can get ready for installing the transmission if I can get another set of hands to help tonight...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2866.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	35798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2867.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	35799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2868.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	35800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2869.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	35801  

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Last edited by deputy5211; Jul 2nd, 2012 at 8:10 pm.
post #22 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 8:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Looks like a new rear engine main seal and new output shaft o-ring is in order here.

Also to make sliding the tranny back on smoothly get a couple of long M8 bolts (same thread as the tranny mount bolts) and cut the heads off. Screw them into the intermediate housing where the two guide sleeves are.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #23 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

I have installed a new rear seal (teflon/aluminum), and I will replace the input shaft o-ring when I re-install the rear clutch housing.

Not sure of what part the "thrust washer" is on BMW manual pg 21.7, item 1 on the diagram. Pretty sure one did not come out when I removed the clutch housing. Ideas?

On my way to Homer's to pick up a couple of long M8 bolts to help guide the transmission (thanks JohnZ for the tip!)...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #24 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have installed a new rear seal (teflon/aluminum), and I will replace the input shaft o-ring when I re-install the rear clutch housing.

Not sure of what part the "thrust washer" is on BMW manual pg 21.7, item 1 on the diagram. Pretty sure one did not come out when I removed the clutch housing. Ideas?

On my way to Homer's to pick up a couple of long M8 bolts to help guide the transmission (thanks JohnZ for the tip!)...
The thrust washer is probably still on the clutch housing. It is a thin washer that slides onto the shaft opposite the clutch side. Mine have always stayed with the housing stuck there with engine oil.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #25 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
The thrust washer is probably still on the clutch housing. It is a thin washer that slides onto the shaft opposite the clutch side. Mine have always stayed with the housing stuck there with engine oil.
You are absolutely right, Ernie.

Now I can begin installing the clutch components.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #26 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:55 pm

Sorry did not see your post about how far along you are. I can help out tomorrow evening but I suspect that will be too late.
post #27 of 83 Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:59 pm

TonyBro, sorry you had to replace your clutch and missed out on a few rides.
Glad you didn't get stranded far away from home though...
I wish I were closer to lend a hand and learn something new about the LT while there.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #28 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
TonyBro, sorry you had to replace your clutch and missed out on a few rides.
Glad you didn't get stranded far away from home though...
I wish I were closer to lend a hand and learn something new about the LT while there.
MBFAM Gilles... Have been nursing it for a long time. Last couple of LT trips to SoCal were with slipping clutch, and I could have nursed it along all summer but your SIL wants to take the bike to Wisconsin to see her Grandma. Decided it was time to do it rather than get stranded.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #29 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem
Sorry did not see your post about how far along you are. I can help out tomorrow evening but I suspect that will be too late.
Come on over, Mark. WIll have cold beverages and can order in some chow. I hope to have transmission mounted by then, but will be plenty of other stuff you can assist with IF you feel so inclined.

Offer is open to anyone else who wants to come by Tuesday 03 July.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #30 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:59 am Thread Starter

Now the real fun starts!

The clutch is in and torqued down. Two M8x1.25 x 70mm bolts (with heads cut off) are in place to help guide gearbox to its resting place.

If you feel so inclined, now would be a good time to offer up your prayers on my behalf, please.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2878.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	35802  

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #31 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 2:17 am
cws

Garage

will a "Yeah, baby!" do?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #32 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:08 am Thread Starter

I have been unable to get the Gearbox to mate up and slide on yet. Cannot seem to get it to attach to the two long, temporary, M8 bolts (without heads) that are inserted into the guide pins on intermediate housing. There seems to be clearance enough.

Any ideas?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #33 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It needs to be pretty straight so the starter will slide into its proper place in the intermediate housing. You did pull the clutch alignment tool out, right?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #34 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
It needs to be pretty straight so the starter will slide into its proper place in the intermediate housing. You did pull the clutch alignment tool out, right?
I did... LoL

I thought the clutch was supposed to move freely, hence he instruction to turn the alignment tool during assembly. What I did not realize is that it is supposed to snug up as the bolts are tightened.

John Z to the rescue! In less time than it takes a human heart to beat, he asked which way the diaphragm spring was facing. Of course I had it in backwards, its curve matching that of the clutch housing. Doh!

No harm... yet. When I pulled the transmission away, the bike, which was suspended from its rear frame, decided to lay over and engage my head. After I realized that I dropped the phone, I picked it up and told John I was ok and I laughed. IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: Suspend the frame from two equidistant points with individual straps or chains to keep the bike balanced, especially when working alone! (see image below)

So, I woke up Suzanne (she works nights) and after she inspected my boo boo and I put a couple of steri-strips on it, she helped me right the bike, place it on the jack stands, and I added an additional strap in concordance with the important safety tip, above. She is back asleep, thankfully, and I am back to the beast. Never say quit... quitting is for quitters!

Thanks, John Z, for another great save! Sure am glad that I did not get the starter splines lined up when reinstalling the transmission. If it were not for that, I might have had it all back together before realizing that the clutch spring was incorrectly installed!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2880.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	35806  

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #35 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Transmission Mounted!

OK, so I got the clutch parts sorted out, cleaned, and (properly) reinstalled.

Truth is often stranger than fiction ladies, gents, and everyone else... The transmission slid right on to the M8 long guide bolts and with but a tiny twist of the transmission output shaft to line up the splines, it slid right home. I must have done something wrong!

Now time for a brief prayer and offer up some sincere thanks for good fortune and good friends, and I will bolt up the gearbox and muster on.

Still a TON of work to get swing arm, FD, sensors, wires, centre stand, and so on done. WIll be a late night for me but I hope to have a friend or two stop by tonight.

More to follow...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2881.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	829.4 KB
ID:	35808  

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #36 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Gearbox is bolted up and torqued. Upper cross bolt was a bit of a challenge to get the transmission between the mount points, but a clever tip from BulletBill made it slide/drop into place.

I did not remove the wires from alternator and starter, someone else did, so...

QUESTION: Can anyone confirm that the battery wire (same jacket as the small blue wire to alternator) goes to upper alternator lug?

QUESTION: Can anyone confirm that the two-wires-into-one-lug brown/ground attaches to the small post on the rear of the starter, and that the other wire attaches to the insulated terminal on the side of the starter. This other wire goes to a tie point aft of the battery, said tie point shared with a black wire with yellow stripe.

Moving on to the new slave cylinder, speed sensor, and gear indicator switch, then the swing arm and cross bar.

Where would I be without friends? Do not want to ever find out!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #37 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
QUESTION: Can anyone confirm that the battery wire (same jacket as the small blue wire to alternator) goes to upper alternator lug?

QUESTION: Can anyone confirm that the two-wires-into-one-lug brown/ground attaches to the small post on the rear of the starter, and that the other wire attaches to the insulated terminal on the side of the starter. This other wire goes to a tie point aft of the battery, said tie point shared with a black wire with yellow stripe.
Question one sounds correct. Question two sounds right too if you mean the other end of one of the wires goes to the common ground lug aft of the battery.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #38 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy5211

Quote:
Question one sounds correct. Question two sounds right too if you mean the other end of one of the wires goes to the common ground lug aft of the battery.
Regarding question two. The rearmost terminal on the starter (attached to the body of the starter, perhaps the transmission bracket holding the starter?) currently holds two brown wires that share a common crimp-on eyelet terminal. The side terminal on the starter, which appears to have a plastic stand-off to electrically insulate it from the starter body has a wire connected to it whose color I cannot ascertain because it is inside a plastic "sheath." This sheathed wire runs back to a binding post aft of the battery. Also attached to this binding post is a black wire with a yellow stripe. I do NOT think this is the grounding lug, as IIRC, the grounding lug contains only brown wires.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #39 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Tony,

That wire that goes back to the post behind the battery on the shifter side is the the wire that goes to the side terminal on the starter. It is the starter feed wire. The black with yellow stripe is the output of the reverser controller and it ties to the starter as well. The ground wires just go on that lug sticking up on the transmission housing. Take a break man you sound tired.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #40 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Thank you, John... again! That is how I wired it, seemed to make sense to me at the time and nice to know I was right about something (albeit NOT the clutch spring the first time!).

Going to mush on for a spell. Just watched WEEP 3 for pointers on putting the swing arm back. Was a huge help.

Wish I was going to CCR, would buy you the bar!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #41 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you get a chance come on up to Sedalia for the MOA rally - they have a beer garden !

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #42 of 83 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
If you get a chance come on up to Sedalia for the MOA rally - they have a beer garden !
Sounds like an idea... But first I have to figure out how to install the felt washer on the pushrod from the slave cylinder since there was no tool as not part of the clutch/slave specialty kit that I borrowed from Col. Kenny... I guess it is time to watch WEEP B and hope for inspiration, as searching did not turn up anything (even though I know I have seen info on this before).

Seems the split felt on the rod is there to stop vibration, and my '05's pushrod has the detent for it. So.... how does one position it on the shaft? Every time I press the shaft in, the felt slides out of the detent towards the rear of the rod. I did not see where the felt was even installed in WEEP B.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Last edited by deputy5211; Jul 3rd, 2012 at 11:16 pm.
post #43 of 83 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 3:53 am Thread Starter

and so ends another day. Swingarm and cross tube are in. FD is mounted, rear caliper attached, and a new rear tire has been mounted on the wheel and is ready to be installed on the bike... tomorrow (well, technically today since it is 0251 hours). Must shower and grab a few zzzzzzs first.

Tomorrow I need to bleed the clutch, reinstall the exhaust and the battery, tie up all of the wires, cables, and hoses, and install the tupperware. Hopefully just a few hours more to be done... unless I bogeyed something up... it can wait for after sunrise.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #44 of 83 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 4:34 am
cws

Garage

...and a happy 4 July to you all! go grab a beer, Tony! ...and maybe rest an icepack on that noggin

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #45 of 83 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 6:08 am

Tony - I sure hope you are resting!

Been following your saga and you definitely have lots following your progress. Good luck on the reassembly. I wish I could be there to just hold something. Sounding like a real education.

I know that many have learned from your work.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #46 of 83 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 1:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This reads like a mystery cliff hangar...go Tony! I have great admiration for your spirit, your resourcefulness and your patience. I'm cheering you on from the PNW!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #47 of 83 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Thumbs up Re: Clutch Replacement - 2005 LT - UGH!

Tony cannot answer right now, he is out on the road testing his new clutch! At least that's what I think!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #48 of 83 Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dang! After reading this I am so glad I let Rick at Gulf Coast BMW change out the clutch on mine. Two days and I was back on the road with no scars. Of course I missed out on all the bragging rights but that is a cheap price to pay.
post #49 of 83 Old Jul 5th, 2012, 12:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Tony cannot answer right now, he is out on the road testing his new clutch! At least that's what I think!
I wish! Tony dropped of his dog at the sitter, picked up a front tire, and then came home and worked on the LT for 12 hours, just finishing a few minutes ago.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #50 of 83 Old Jul 5th, 2012, 12:47 am Thread Starter

INDEPENDENCE DAY... I thought I would declare my independence from the challenging project and have today to enjoy. Not so much.

AFter taking care of some critical errands, I came home and resumed the re-assembly.

Swing arm, cross tube, EHCS, FD, rear brake and tire, and a seemingly endless stream of tupperware, foot plates, and wiring. Fluids all filled back up, even installed a new Tune Trapper hidden antenna under the top case. An honest twelve hour day in close to 100F heat and who know what kind of ridiculous humidity. UGH!

For the first time ever, the gas tank went on without fighting me. Just as the gearbox and swing arm did. Even the FD seemed to go on ok, or so I thought.

I wonder if I somehow failed to mate the swing arm drive shaft to the final drive. Gear indicator shows bike in 5th, but rear wheel spins freely. Not Good.

Bike will not start. Everything powers up, the fuel pump primes, and all of the usual key-on stuff happens. I hit button 2 on my remote to deactivate the immobilizer, and nothing happens except a single, one-time, flash of the alarm LED. Turn signals do NOT flash to indicate disarming.

Odd that the signals flash when I lock/unlock the bike with the remote.

Wondering if battery is low. I put it on the Tender about an hour ago and is still in primary charge mode (red light only).

Sooooo... Any thoughts on what could be causing this heartache?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in