1ST gear what..is it me - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 8:03 am Thread Starter

1ST gear what..is it me

It seems when the girl is cool 1ST from neutal is a pain .I'm sure this cannot only be me....so what is the trick or do I just have to roll it and look like a fool w/temp tags??

Mike 05 K1200LT GOLD not lt yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 8:07 am

Yep, they do that sometimes. I just fiddle with the clutch a bit a it goes. Pretty soon you won't even notice it once you find her sweet spot.

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #3 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 8:18 am

Put slight downward pressure on the shifter and slowly let out the clutch until it slips into first. Happens to all of us. Make sure you don't pound down on the shifter as this will cause the linkage to break.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"

post #4 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 8:23 am

What I've found in my extensive week long ownership of the LT, is that a small press forward usually lets it slip into first. The interesting thing is that my K75S required a small press backwards to slip it into first. Rolling it back doesn't do a thing for the LT and rolling it forward wouldn't do a thing for the K75S. I know, different generations, different trannys, etc, but each model has it's unique features and it just takes some trial and error to figure out what works. Good luck.
post #5 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys been pounding it..won't continue but as a glitch it really can be embrarassing!!!

mike 05 K1200LT Gld
post #6 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 9:13 am

After some toe tapping you will become accustomed to it and no problem. Good Luck and enjoy.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #7 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 9:24 am

If I pull the clutch lever all the way in I have the same problem as you. Try pulling it in only about a third of the way in. Its a LT thing

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 9:28 am

If

you let the clutch out a third or so a gentle push down on the shift lever will put it in every time.
post #9 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:07 am

Once you learn to use the clutch properly when doing it, you will not even think about it any more. You have to push down on the shifter, then let the clutch out just enough to move the gears a little, then it clicks in.

Another way: have the clutch all the way out in neutral, then time it so you pull the clutch back and push down on the shift lever just as the clutch lever gets all the way back, the gearing is still moving and it shifts easily.

This tranny is not like a car one, which has synronizers. It has shift "dogs" which line up with the next gear. If they are not aligned, it will not shift. It takes a little movement of the gearing to allow them to align.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:25 am
Super Moderator

Yep, that's normal. One trick is to put light pressure on the shifter and slowly engage the clutch a little, with an additional rocking of the bike front to back. this wil usually line things up quickly, engage 1st, and off you go.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:30 am

Seems like every bike I have owned has been the same way. David is right about the transmission. Learned from riding Moto Guzzi's for 20 years to make sure I was in neutral before coming to a stop. It was very hard on the clutch release too sit at a light while holding the clutch in. Maybe there is a connection here on why the clutch slave cylinder goes out early because of holding it in for longer periods of time at stop lights. How many of you guys find neutral before coming to a stop??

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #12 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
Seems like every bike I have owned has been the same way. David is right about the transmission. Learned from riding Moto Guzzi's for 20 years to make sure I was in neutral before coming to a stop. It was very hard on the clutch release too sit at a light while holding the clutch in. Maybe there is a connection here on why the clutch slave cylinder goes out early because of holding it in for longer periods of time at stop lights. How many of you guys find neutral before coming to a stop??
That's a good idea if it does, indeed, result in less clutch wear but they taught us in the MSF BRC to keep the bike in first gear when stopped so you can execute an escape maneuver in case someone runs a red light (from behind you), or some other scenario.

What's the word, Mr. Shealey and other experts -- excessive clutch wear while holding it in at a light?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #13 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:46 am

All manual shift vehicles do that. I don't like the method of slight pressure & letting the clutch out. What I have always done whether it is a truck or bike is let the clutch out in neutral, pull it back in & shift.
post #14 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
That's a good idea if it does, indeed, result in less clutch wear but they taught us in the MSF BRC to keep the bike in first gear when stopped so you can execute an escape maneuver in case someone runs a red light (from behind you), or some other scenario.

What's the word, Mr. Shealey and other experts -- excessive clutch wear while holding it in at a light?
I always held the clutch in when stopped for lights etc. I did have two failed slave cylinders, the first was at 4500 miles though, so cannot relate that to anything other than faulty cylinder from the factory. The second one was at about 85,000 miles, and the failure mode was the release bearing in front of the slave cylinder piston tightened up and spun the piston in the cylinder. It is entirely possible that holding the clutch in when stopped could have contributed to that, causing the bearing to be spinning under load a lot over time.

Even if I thought that was the case though, I would just replace the cylinder at around 60K, and still keep the bike in gear when stopped. Just the way I rode, and liked the ability to move quick if needed.

The clutch itself does not suffer from that though, The one I replaced at 85,000 miles was only worn about 0.015" compared to the new disk, and the pressure plate and housing cover were still in excellent shape, no grooving or heat checking, so I just cleaned the brake fluid off them and re-installed everything with a new clutch disk.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #15 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:18 am

Pull the clutch lever in and immediatley tap the shifter. Don't wait for the gears to come to a stop.
post #16 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:33 am

I just double clutch to get it in 1st. works every time.
post #17 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:58 am Thread Starter

Many good thoughts...the remaining in gear for a wayward cage is very tempting,I would hate to see it growing in the rear while stabbing @ the lever!! Many moronic drivers nowadays...

Mike 05 K1200LT gold
post #18 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
Many good thoughts...the remaining in gear for a wayward cage is very tempting,I would hate to see it growing in the rear while stabbing @ the lever!! Many moronic drivers nowadays...

Mike 05 K1200LT gold
Yes, exactly my point. There is a newer thread here that shows a cruiser dash camera's video of a biker getting nailed by a moron running a red light: http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Mar 25th, 2006 at 3:42 pm. Reason: added video URL
post #19 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all-the clutch release w/pressure on shifter works like a charm!!

Mike 05 K1200LT Gold?
post #20 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 4:49 pm

I haven't owned a bike yet that you didn't have a few of it's own idiosyncrasies. They come free of charge!
post #21 of 21 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I haven't owned a bike yet that you didn't have a few of it's own idiosyncrasies. They come free of charge!
Just like us riders.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in