Fuel Filter Change Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Filter Change Questions

The time has come to learn to change the fuel and air filters. My '99 doesn't have the quick disconnects on the tank yet, so I'd like to clarify the direction that the fuel flows when I install them (so's I don't get 'em McBackward).
I looked in the archives but didn't find anything definitive.

I've attached an image with my interpretation below. Have I got it right or not?

Thanks so much for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuelFlow.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	2700  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 1:11 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflanigan

I've attached an image with my interpretation below. Have I got it right or not?
Kevin,
Your picture shows a correct hook up of the fuel lines and the arrows show correct flow direction. The description shown isn't correct.

The fuel circuit is as follows: Inside the tank, fuel is pulled through a strainer and into the fuel pump. (pump is submerged.) From the pump to the filter directly above and down to the inner (closest to the center of the bike) hose stub on the pump assembly mounting plate (bottom of the fuel tank). Hose from there to the fuel rail (left / front/ top of the engine) that supplies the injectors. A regulator at the rear of the fuel rail (left / rear / top of the engine) returns unused fuel back to the tank via a hose across the rear of the engine and terminates on the outermost hose stub on the pump assembly mounting plate.

A couple of details. Make sure that the arrow on the filter points away from the pump (yeah, I know), carefully remove the crimp type clamps and replace with some decent screw type clamps torqued accordingly.

No real magic here.
Good Luck

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 6:07 am

Lightbulb

Quote:
The time has come to learn to change the fuel and air filters. My '99 doesn't have the quick disconnects on the tank yet, so I'd like to clarify the direction that the fuel flows when I install them (so's I don't get 'em McBackward).
I looked in the archives but didn't find anything definitive.

Thanks so much for your help
Here is a picture of my 02. The outside line is the low pressure return. Note the T fitting this is where the fuel cell line is tied in Low pressure line. If you also go to the fuel rail the low pressure return line is the rear line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Low Pressure Return Tie In.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	2701  

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 7:20 am

Hey Kevin, you'll have to crimp off the lines at the tank before taking the hoses apart or there will be a nice flow of gas (you'll still get some from the engine side, not a lot, but some). You can either buy the tools (which aren't that expensive) or use small, locking pliers with coins in the jaws to keep from fubar-ing your hoses.

To be sure to put them together right: on one set of hoses leave the barbed connector in on one side, the other set of hoses, out. You're setting up a male, female thang here, but you won't get them confused.

A leetle warning: it's fun pulling them apart and you'll be shopping for some quick disconnects.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:34 am

Thumbs up Fuel Quick Disconnects

Actually, Grif himself posted this info a while back:

Fuel Quick Disconnects

From www.mscdirect.com . Item #8808445 (2 each) and #88080486 (2 each). Be warned, they aren't cheap.

While you're at it, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and get you #9452K19. Industry standare -011 Size Bun-N. They are the o-rings that go on the quick disconnects. Package of 100 for $2.47.

Thanks again Grif!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #6 of 7 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Smile Successful day in the garage!

Thanks all for the good advice. After watching Pauls DVD again. Everything went without a hitch, almost. I had purchased the plastic quick disconnects from Dennis Kirk in anticipation of this event, but on their arrival they looked "not too sturdy". I'll take Griffs advice and get the good ones. The only exciting part was that the left side rubber bushing that insulates the tank from the crankcase was completely missing! You could see where it had become wedged on the tank dust. It fell out somewhere along the way. A couple of days and I'll have a new one and be good as new!

Working on the bike is my therapy session. I get immense enjoyment from it and knowing that I can do basic service on the bike as well as any dealer with the exception of reading out the Moronic. This list is a great resource and enjoyment to participate in. It's been awhile since I've contributed anything to its support and I'm correcting that now. How about you?
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Working on the bike is my therapy session.
I hear that.... I need lots of therapy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in