Trading Harley on an LT today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Trading Harley on an LT today

Well I am going to trade my 2006 FLHXi Street Glide with 11k miles on it on a 2005 K1200LT with 43k miles on it this afternoon.
I am a little nervous about the final drive failures and I have been told the FD on this one
has never been rebuilt and there are no know issues with it. The BMW dealer told me it
would be about $1,500.00 to rebuild it there. Soooo I will take my chances and take it the way it is and hope that with 43k and no issues it is not in the 4% failure group.
I may get a 1 year mechanical insurance policy to ease my mind.
I am 67 years old and drive accordingly but I am not sure driving style has anything to do with the FD failures.
I am trading because after 4 Harleys I want something more refined. I almost got another Goldwing and have a very good trade offer on a 2002 with CB and 23k miles but I ride "one up" and the wing seems bigger and bulkier than the LT. I had a wing for 11 years in the 80's and 90's and rode 2 up, was a great bike too.

The LT is smooooth, especially quiet and handles so sweeet? I fell in love with it on my first test ride.The LT is just a GREAT looking and riding bike and I hope I will be happy with it.

Well I will stop my rambling I am sure most are not interested in what I am doing anyway.

Great WEB site !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:29 pm

Re: Trading Harley on an LT today

Congratulations on the new ride, and be prepared to grin a lot. I wouldn't worry about the final drive a whole lot. There's a few members on here that will repair it for a lot less, if you send it to them. I got metal flakes in my oil change on mine. It hadn't failed yet, but I found a properly rebuilt one on here for $400. Remember to keep the front wheel straight before coming to a stop, or she might take a nap on ya. Enjoy your new ride....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #3 of 26 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieC
...I am a little nervous about the final drive failures and I have been told the FD on this one has never been rebuilt and there are no know issues with it. The BMW dealer told me it would be about $1,500.00 to rebuild it there. Soooo I will take my chances and take it the way it is and hope that with 43k and no issues it is not in the 4% failure group.
I may get a 1 year mechanical insurance policy to ease my mind.
I am 67 years old and drive accordingly but I am not sure driving style has anything to do with the FD failures.....
Welcome.

2006 is past the years with the higher failure rate, I wouldn't worry about your FD.
If you can't help worrying a preemptive rebuild will ensure your FD is set up right. There are a few folks who can be trusted to do it right, I recommend a guy on this site who posts as Saddleman. I think he'll do it for less than a third of what your were quoted but you'll have to remove and ship the FD unless you were to ride to his place.

FD failures have nothing to do with how you ride it.

Congrats on your new bike, sounds like you've already figured out it is a really good bike.

post #4 of 26 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Smile Re: Trading Harley on an LT today

Welcome to the forum. Ask lots of questions, and learn to do your own basic maintenance.Look in your region for tech sessions , good times are had by all. If your drove ever fails, there are members who rebuild them for considerably less then the dealership and do a better job.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 3:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome and Congratulations. Don't be shy about rambling, post some pictures of her when you get her home.

-Preston
Ď02 K1200 LTC | í94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #6 of 26 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Welcome
Sounds like you're getting a good ride...
Don't look back...
post #7 of 26 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Congrats on the new ride. Some days you're just gonna have to use your fingers to straighten out the big smile on your face to prevent cramping!!!

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #8 of 26 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Almost Traded Harley on an LT today

Well I was NOT able to make the deal today !
I took it for another ride before I was to sign the papers etc. I rode about 100 miles on a four lane with 65 speed limit and country roads at 55 MPH limit. I stopped for a lite lunch and then went back to the dealer. When I pulled in the lot the hydraulic center stand would not work and it had worked OK at my lunch stop. They looked at it and could not figure out what was wrong, left it sit for an hour and still no luck. I also noticed that the ABS brakes do not seem to be working. The brakes stop the bike but are very harsh and the rear squeals. The tech rode it and said the rear wheel locked up when he braked fairly quick. So I am not sure if that is correct or not. I also found out it is on consignment and they have to ask the seller if he wants to have it fixed etc. I asked them to see if he has proof of the 24k , 3*k and 4*k maintenance checks too. It has 44k miles on it and I need to be sure it was maintained properly.
I just do not want to get one with a lot of porblems and issues. But it did perform well and
the test ride was great. I sure can see how you can put mega miles on these great touring bikes.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful comments.
Will

Last edited by WillieC; Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:09 pm.
post #9 of 26 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Romeo over around Indianapolis mentioned he's trading moving from the LT to a victory, maybe you can cruise over to Indy and buy his 09

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68695

-Preston
Ď02 K1200 LTC | í94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #10 of 26 Old Jun 16th, 2012, 6:34 am

I ride with a mate who has a 2010 Ultra Glide Classic. We both tour 2-up (wives) and he has a healthy respect for the LT. I like the HD but it in no way can compare to the LT in the handling or braking departments. The 2 bikes are nothing similar. The LT has massive stopping power compared to the HD, and with the no-dive geometry of the Telelever it is an awsome stopper. I can't imagine a bike having this much braking power with conventional forks, it would want to turn inside-out I feel. As for handling, especially hard cornering on uneven surfaces, the LT is like on rails compared to the HD. Low speed manouverability, the HD is much better. In straight line acceleration the HD is not even close to being able to keep up. The 2 bikes are very diffent approaches to the same purpose - touring fully laden. Depends what you want, but for me,........... well.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #11 of 26 Old Jun 16th, 2012, 10:49 am

Re: Almost Traded Harley on an LT today

Quote:
When I pulled in the lot the hydraulic center stand would not work and it had worked OK at my lunch stop. They looked at it and could not figure out what was wrong, left it sit for an hour and still no luck.
The function of electric centerstand is controlled by a bunch of limit switches. Check first that your both brake switches (hand and foot brake) work properly (= your brake lights are not on when you are not touching the brakes) Also the gear must be in neutral, clutch not activated, reverse not on, side stand up (this I'm not sure of) etc.

As far as fuses are concerned, check fuses 6 and 7 in fuse box # 2 (both 4 amps). They are connected to EHCS unit.

Quote:
I also noticed that the ABS brakes do not seem to be working..
Are the ABS lights flashing? HOW are they flashing? Wig-wag or together, or not?

Quote:
The brakes stop the bike but are very harsh and the rear squeals. The tech rode it and said the rear wheel locked up when he braked fairly quick. So I am not sure if that is correct or not.
Buy THIS PART , and THESE PADS It only takes literally 20-30 minutes.

Quote:
I asked them to see if he has proof of the 24k , 3*k and 4*k maintenance checks too. It has 44k miles on it and I need to be sure it was maintained properly.
Any BMW dealer can give you that info with the VIN....

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #12 of 26 Old Jun 16th, 2012, 3:45 pm

On the center stand not working, make sure you do not have the brakes on when activating the hydraulic center stand - seems many on this forum have thought their stand wasn't working when it is simply they had the brakes on (ask me how I know....!). It's designed to work that way. I would personally prefer it to work with the brakes on or off, but maybe that's just me.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #13 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 12:19 am

A lot of great advice here, but Willie's not asking how to fix these mechanical problems. He mentioned the dealer did not know, at least upon initial inspection. Maybe they're incompetent? Maybe they weren't interested in giving out free troubleshooting, especially since the bike is on consignment.

The LT in question is an '05 model, but I believe the statement re: the FD still applies- not to much to worry about.

It also sounds like Willie is already sold as far as wanting an LT, so sales pitches could be spared.

not tryin' to piss in anybody's cheerios, just sayin'.

I am surprised a seller would allow someone to take a test ride for as many miles as Willie was able to. Maybe because it is on consignment; not their bike; not new?

Willie, from the information on this forum, as well as my experience working on automotive brake systems, the rear brakes squealing are somewhat normal, though annoying. One wants to consider the mechanics/physics involved- you have objects comprised of one material being compressed against a rapidly rotating object of another material, so a "side effect" such as the particular noise you mentioned shouldn't be cause for alarm. That being said, the squeal is annoying, and there are effective ways to minimize or even eliminate it. Perhaps you already know all this.

If you're willing to buy from a private seller, there's been some pretty decent deals lately on Ebay, but then you'd still have the hassle of trying to sell your HD. There's also been some decent prices for FDs, which is an "insurance policy" common here.

Good luck with your search.
BTW, as an HD owner, I like the way you phrased your reasoning for switching bikes.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #14 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie
On the center stand not working, make sure you do not have the brakes on when activating the hydraulic center stand - seems many on this forum have thought their stand wasn't working when it is simply they had the brakes on (ask me how I know....!). It's designed to work that way. I would personally prefer it to work with the brakes on or off, but maybe that's just me.
This happened to me when I first got my 06 ... I kept holding the brake while trying to run the center stand and it would just flash at me

Thought it broke already. That was a year ago ... Works great every time now.
post #15 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Hydraulic stand and ABS issues 2005 LT

I really appreciate all the replies and helpful suggestions.
The dealer that sold me the LT cannot figure out why the stand is not working all the time. Scheduled for Thursday to try to diagnose at dealer. I am also having the complete
24K service done so the valves are checked and ALL fluids/filters are replaced, even though it has 43k on it now I am not getting good feedback on what the previous (2nd owner) did as far as valve adjustments. He did have oil changes and FD oil changed but
no record of valves being checked back to the 24K check up. That does not mean it was not done somewhere but I have not been able to find any records of it being done. Better safe than sorry I guess. I am not sure if you get valve noise if they are out of spec or not but it is quiet and if I remember correctly quiet can be bad on some valve types.
We (the dealer and I) have tried the no brakes on, and everything but standing on one leg and patting our head while rubbing the stomach at the same time on the center stand issue.
The only strange thing I see is that the ABS is not passing the diag test with the key on
and not started yet phase (no brakes on) . It just flashes at about 1/2 sec interval and I can hear a relay type noise clicking I left it do this for about 30 seconds. Although I can hear the servo motors if I pull the brake lever or press foot brake. No burned out brake lights. The brakes seems to work fine but you can "lock them up" and skid the rear tire.
I think I read where you are supposed to try it on a gravel road to see if the ABS pulses etc. May also try a new battert but there is no indication the current one is bad and it was replaced in 09 so it has three years on it.
Anyway I am still reading the manuals and testing so I am sure I will resolve the issues eventually. I will try a road test later this afternoon to gather more facts.

Thanks again to all !
Very friendly and helpful site. Everyone seems willing to help you at the level of expertise you are at without trying to make you feel like a dummy. That is very nice.

Willie
post #16 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Willie, are you saying you went ahead and purchased the bike?

If so, best of luck to you. Regarding your rear brake locking up and skidding, that is typical of any brake system on any vehicle w/o ABS brakes. If applied hard and long enough, then the brakes will lock up. That was the whole idea for the introduction of ABS, to prevent brake lock up by minutely controlling the amount of pressure being applied to the brakes, thereby ensuring they would never actually lock up, at least for a time period long enough to enduce a skid. We're talking about hundreds of milliseconds.

So, the point is if your ABS is not functioning correctly, which is definitely what you're indicating w/ the ABS light and lack of a successful self test during startup, then the vehicle behaves as if it has no ABS, which is also designed into the design.

In the event of ABS failure, you want to continue to have "regular" braking. Now, if the rear brake is locking up w/ minimal application to the brake pedal, then I'd say you've also got a basic brake malfunction, but I didn't gather that from your original comments about the test drive of 100 miles.

These motorcycles are very expensive to maintain by a professional. ABS problems can quite easily cost you a couple of thousand dollars to have a dealer repair. With this in mind, I hope you got one hell of a deal if you've purchased this already.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #17 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Willie, from the information on this forum, as well as my experience working on automotive brake systems, the rear brakes squealing are somewhat normal, though annoying. One wants to consider the mechanics/physics involved- you have objects comprised of one material being compressed against a rapidly rotating object of another material, so a "side effect" such as the particular noise you mentioned shouldn't be cause for alarm. That being said, the squeal is annoying, and there are effective ways to minimize or even eliminate it. Perhaps you already know all this.
I have to disagree. The rear brake squeal is extremely rare with the aftermarket EBC rotor. My squealed and grinded terribly on all three of my LTs with the factory rotors on them. Some have been fine, mine sucked.

The stand is a microswitch issue, especially since your cruise will not pass muster. Figure out which switch is bad thru the cruise diagnostics, and I bet you fix your stand.....

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love

Previous loves...
post #18 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
I have to disagree. The rear brake squeal is extremely rare with the aftermarket EBC rotor. My squealed and grinded terribly on all three of my LTs with the factory rotors on them. Some have been fine, mine sucked....
Brother, what are your disagreeing w/ ?

I mentioned the squeal is normal, although annoying; in other words, normal but noisy (w/ the factory rotors just as you elaborated). Perhaps annoying is a relative term

The "aftermarket EBC rotor" confirms my statement there are effective ways to either minimize or even eliminate the noise. Where's the disagreement?

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #19 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Quote:
the rear brakes squealing are somewhat normal, though annoying.
No disrespect intended Sir, I just disagree with that statement. Normal vs. defective The sqeal can be caused by sheared rivets, which is very common on the factory rotors (and not a good thing). My rear brakes have not sqealed once since EBC install... I see your point though...

Leo Aikman

Current Love

Previous loves...
post #20 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 4:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Willie,

Here is my cut.

Center stand has interlocks - brakes must be off, side stand must be up and the bike must be in neutral or you get a fast flash on the dash. Also there is an angle sensor (part of the alarm system) so if you have some lean on the bike it will not operate either.

Now if it only partially lifts the bike and drops back down she is a tad low on hydrualic oil. Easy fix.

On the brakes - This is a power assisted ABS system. When you turn on the key you need to have the brakes released to allow it to perform the first of two self tests. If you hold a brake during this period it will not complete the first part and you will have a steady General Warning light and a 4Hz flashing Brake Failure light.

When you release that held brake it will complete this test and go to a 1Hz flashing Brake Failure light and will continue flashing until you roll a few feet. This completes the second self test which is a rolling test of the wheel sensors. Once you get moving those lights should go out. At low speeds the brake system is a bit grouchy and clunky. Normal operation. If you continue to get flashing lights after the rolling test there is a fault in the system.

Most bikes go 30 - 50K before they need a valve adjustment and many don't need one until up in the 70K range. The valves do wear tight as it is valve seat errosion not valve train wear that must be corrected.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #21 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

ABS not working at all no self diags

Quote:
Willie, are you saying you went ahead and purchased the bike?
__________________________________________________ __________________
willie REPLY:
Yes like a dumb doofuss I did buy it but not knowing it had the ABS issues -- Read on
If so, best of luck to you. Regarding your rear brake locking up and skidding, that is typical of any brake system on any vehicle w/o ABS brakes. If applied hard and long enough, then the brakes will lock up. That was the whole idea for the introduction of ABS, to prevent brake lock up by minutely controlling the amount of pressure being applied to the brakes, thereby ensuring they would never actually lock up, at least for a time period long enough to enduce a skid. We're talking about hundreds of milliseconds.
__________________________________________________ ___________________
Willie Reply:

Yes and I understand this perfectly. I mentioned to the dealer after my test run that the rear wheel locked up on me and I had thought that ABS was to prevent that. The answer was that it has to be on wet or gravel for the ABS to help and that is basically true in part. The salesman said that the rear wheel locked or skidded on him as well in the parking lot.
So, the point is if your ABS is not functioning correctly, which is definitely what you're indicating w/ the ABS light and lack of a successful self test during startup, then the vehicle behaves as if it has no ABS, which is also designed into the design.
Willie Reply:

I just took it out for a ride and the ABS is definately not working. The brake failure light comes on and does the rapid flash then the slower flashing and that is it. It does go out completely after I start the engine in about 8 seconds or so. But no other ABS lights come on and there seems to be no diagnostics. The rear brake lights are working and the fluid levels look OK. I can also hear the pumps running when I apply the hand or foot brake. The regular brakes work really well without the ABS and I guess that is why I believed the dealer that there was not a problem. I did not get the owners manual until after I signed the papers so I was not aware of the self diags and what exactly to look for when I was test riding. And they inspected the LT the day I picked it up and I would think it could not pass a PA State inspection with failing ABS. I know the ABS has not been working since I first rode it because of the flashing brake failure light. I mentioned it to the salesman the 1st time he started it up for me and he said "it goes out when you get moving". So I believed him and the brake failure light di go out when I got moving.
In the event of ABS failure, you want to continue to have "regular" braking. Now, if the rear brake is locking up w/ minimal application to the brake pedal, then I'd say you've also got a basic brake malfunction, but I didn't gather that from your original comments about the test drive of 100 miles.
These motorcycles are very expensive to maintain by a professional. ABS problems can quite easily cost you a couple of thousand dollars to have a dealer repair. With this in mind, I hope you got one hell of a deal if you've purchased this already.
Willie Reply:
So I guess I am screwed !!! I paid $9,200.00 for it and it is perfect as far as cosmetic
appearance goes, it seems to run well and has new tires. This is my first BMW so I was not familar with BMW and was counting on the dealer and what I could find on this site to guide me and I feel this WEB site was extremely helpful.
I test drove it two times and it seemed good until the center stand issue and from what I
saw here it can be cleaned and refilled with fluid without too much problems. At the time
I was not aware how many other things can affect the functioning of the center stand.

I am going back to the dealer first thing in the morning and try to get the deal reversed
because I am afraid I will have nothing but problems with this particular one.
Maybe they will "make it right" they seem like nice people. And maybe they are not familiar with how the ABS is supposed to work? But then again I may be screwed and in for some expensive repaiirs.
The bike was on consignment from a gentleman who bought a new BMW RT from them
so I never met the owner of the LT. But the dealer took my trade and it was like I bought it from the dealer so this was a new experience for me.

Thanks for the reply and information.
Will not sleep much tonight
Too much for a 67 year old dood I guess

Last edited by WillieC; Jun 17th, 2012 at 5:03 pm. Reason: Grammar Errors
post #22 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Willie,

Here is my cut.

Center stand has interlocks - brakes must be off, side stand must be up and the bike must be in neutral or you get a fast flash on the dash. Also there is an angle sensor (part of the alarm system) so if you have some lean on the bike it will not operate either.

Now if it only partially lifts the bike and drops back down she is a tad low on hydrualic oil. Easy fix.

On the brakes - This is a power assisted ABS system. When you turn on the key you need to have the brakes released to allow it to perform the first of two self tests. If you hold a brake during this period it will not complete the first part and you will have a steady General Warning light and a 4Hz flashing Brake Failure light.

When you release that held brake it will complete this test and go to a 1Hz flashing Brake Failure light and will continue flashing until you roll a few feet. This completes the second self test which is a rolling test of the wheel sensors. Once you get moving those lights should go out. At low speeds the brake system is a bit grouchy and clunky. Normal operation. If you continue to get flashing lights after the rolling test there is a fault in the system.

Most bikes go 30 - 50K before they need a valve adjustment and many don't need one until up in the 70K range. The valves do wear tight as it is valve seat errosion not valve train wear that must be corrected.
Thanks so much for the information !
I was reading older posts on the ABS system and for a 2005 model maybe my ABS is OK then. I must say I am a little confused at this point and I am going to study the manual again tonight. But it is doing the ABS test as you describe it fine.
I do have a rear brake squeal but I see that a aftermarket rotor will fix that.
Valves should be OK then and I guess I will find out in two weeks when they do the service.

Willie

Thanks again, very helpful
post #23 of 26 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 8:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Another thing you may not be used to is the linked system on the brakes. It does not matter under hard braking which input you use. Front lever or pedal will produce the same braking force on both brakes. You can drag a little bit of rear with out activating the front but anything past a "little" will apply front. I eliminated the rear squeal by just lightly using the front as I rolled to the final stop. Then I installed an EBC rotor and pads and never worried about it again. Another note always have the front wheel pointed straight ahead when hitting that final stop, if you don't she just might dirt nap on ya'.

Enjoy the ride.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #24 of 26 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 8:56 am

Re: ABS not working at all no self diags

Quote:
Willie Reply:
So I guess I am screwed !!! I paid $9,200.00 for it and it is perfect as far as cosmetic
appearance goes, it seems to run well and has new tires. This is my first BMW so I was not familar with BMW and was counting on the dealer and what I could find on this site to guide me and I feel this WEB site was extremely helpful.
I test drove it two times and it seemed good until the center stand issue and from what I
saw here it can be cleaned and refilled with fluid without too much problems. At the time
I was not aware how many other things can affect the functioning of the center stand.

I am going back to the dealer first thing in the morning and try to get the deal reversed
because I am afraid I will have nothing but problems with this particular one.
Maybe they will "make it right" they seem like nice people. And maybe they are not familiar with how the ABS is supposed to work? But then again I may be screwed and in for some expensive repaiirs.
The bike was on consignment from a gentleman who bought a new BMW RT from them
so I never met the owner of the LT. But the dealer took my trade and it was like I bought it from the dealer so this was a new experience for me.

Thanks for the reply and information.
Will not sleep much tonight
Too much for a 67 year old dood I guess
Hang in there brother. All is not lost. You just have to persevere. In the event you wind up keeping the bike, then there's all sorts of help to be had from here, as you're seeing in this thread. As long as you're willing to do some of your own wrenching with or without assistance, then you can save some significant Benjamins, as well as having the self-satisfaction of doing it yourself. Of course, parts can be pricey dependent upon how anxious you are to get the repairs done, but patience might bring you some good deals on used replacement parts.

You've not doubt read some of the great stories regarding members' DIY maintenance. That's one thing about ABS issues, assuming you have any, is as I mentioned, you should still have the equivalent of a power assisted hydraulic brake system (that might or might not have issues of it's own). Point is the bike is still useable while you hunt down your bargain parts, once any basic brake problems are remedied.

Hopefully, John is right on the money re: your issues. He's definitely one of the go-to guys here for expert knowledge.

Some other possibilities re: fixing your own bike, which you might have already read about, is to organize a tech session, where one or more technically savvy members could teach you and other interested parties how to troubleshoot and repair some of these malfunctions. Dependent upon the progress and time constraints, it might take more than one tech session, but they'd be really informative and a lot for fun.

I was thinking about your situation, and in the case of a consignment, I surmised this would place a dealer in the best possible position, assuming he had the intention of taken advantage of the situation. Being it's not actually the dealer's bike, he might not feel inclined to be totally upfront about the condition of the bike, or he might honestly not know, but either case, how liable could he be held? He sells the bike knowing (especially after reports from a 100 road test) there's a good possibility the buyer will have the dealer perform the repairs, so the dealer gets the best of both worlds; he gets his commission, and the profits of the repairs (as opposed to if the bike belong to the dealer, he might be inclined to make the repairs to the bike in hopes of making it more sellable, but he might or might not recoup all he has in repairs once he sells the bike).

Hopefully, this is not the case with the dealer you are conducting business with. Hopefully, he's very fair and want you as a long time customer, so he's be willing to make things right, so to speak. It sounds like one thing to your advantage is the dealer took your bike as a trade-in, so that could hold him to a larger degree of liability. If you could get a good grasp on what's actually needed to make the necessary repairs w/o having to invest a lot of $ into troubleshooting, then you'd be in a much better position to negotiate. Then again, perhaps your local/state laws are enough to get you a refund, if that's what you want. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Jun 18th, 2012 at 9:11 am.
post #25 of 26 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
No disrespect intended Sir, I just disagree with that statement. Normal vs. defective The sqeal can be caused by sheared rivets, which is very common on the factory rotors (and not a good thing). My rear brakes have not sqealed once since EBC install... I see your point though...
Friend, no disrespect/offense taken, so no harm, no foul. I am glad you elaborated for I did not think of "sheared" rivets". Considering the physics involved with the addition of loose and vibrating parts, the noise would be pronounced, but even more so, you definitely had a mechanical malfunction and not a "normal" situation. Obviously, not only would the rivets rattle and vibrate, but the rotor would be inclined to waver and make even more noise. I assume not all the rivets were sheared, otherwise that would make for some interesting tales. I'm curious how much do you think the loose rivets contributed or compounded the noise? Sounds like just replacing rivets would have still been unacceptable.

Thanks for the additional input.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Jun 18th, 2012 at 9:13 am.
post #26 of 26 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 11:13 am

IIn 1998 I rode my Harley to the big 95th Harley party in Milwaukee. Let me tell you, I thought my arms were going to fall off.

Later I read an artile in Cycle World about the new LT, and decided I wanted one.

That fall I went into Leo's South and traded my Harley for the soon to come out LT. Ssure, a little impulsive, but I was sure. Got it in January, (I was working in Florida, so had it shipped to me.

I am still riding that 1999 LT, I have replaffed one clutch, one rear end, the front fork seals, the shocks a few timje (I have rebuildable ones) lots of extra lights and I got rid of the pillion seat.

I have nhever regretted that impulsive decision.

Oh yea, I stopped going to Harley rallies and started going to CCRs and BMW rallies.

David Tilsen

My 2014 K1600GTL - Hannigan Trike is my baby and I am LOVING it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in