Warranty expires in 2 weeks... can't get problems fixed! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:01 am Thread Starter

Warranty expires in 2 weeks... can't get problems fixed!

I bought a used 2003 LT last year from a non BMW dealership out of state. The dealer that I bought it from paid for me to take the bike to the local BMW dealer in the town where I bought and for me to have it inspected before we completed the purchase. Fair enough!

Upon inspection in the spring of 2005, the out of state BMW dealer informed me that there was an engine oil leak on the timing chain cover. He said that it was a common problem on the LT, and that he could fix it for me, but that I would have to stay until the next day because it would have to set over night after they re-sealed the cover. He said that if I didn't want to stay overnight that I could have my local dealer fix the leak when I got back home. He further stated that the leak would be covered under warranty.

When I got home (last year), I took it to the local dealer, explained to them that I had an out of state dealer tell me that the front timing chain cover was leaking and that it needed to be repaired. The local dealer kept the bike for two or three days. Unfortunately, they didn't touch the timing chain cover. They removed the cam cover, put some silicone on it and gave me that bike back. Naturally, I still had the leak.

I took the bike back this week, with three things that needed fixed. Since the warranty is fixing to expire, I wanted to get the warranty issues taken care of. I left the bike over night, and picked it up today. When I got home, I ran my hand under the timing cover. Sure enough... fresh oil all over my hand. I looked, and it appears that they dealer just took some silicone and applied a bead of silicone on the outside of the cover with his finger... the cover was never removed. Is this how BMW repairs an oil leak?

I also have other issues that seem to be getting ignored. With my warranty fixing to expire, I need to know the best way to get these issues documented and fixed. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Dean_BMW; Mar 24th, 2006 at 12:00 am. Reason: I can't type!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:40 am

I don't know where you live Dean, or what dealer you're talking about...but it sounds to me like you have a dealer problem, not an oil leak problem. Find out what's the best dealer near you (even if it's 100 miles away) and get this stuff fixed once and for all!

No...my two BMW dealers do NOT work this way.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 1:10 am
BMW Guru

Joe is right Dean, you have a dealer problem for sure. If you plan on keeping that bike you should put an extended service plan on it. Give me a call tomorrow and I'll set you up with one.

800 689 9893

Ted Hudson
A&S BMW

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 8:36 am

Ditto on the dealer problem. It is almost unbelieveable that the dealer just put silicone on the outside of the cover. There are some good dealers out there, on first blush it sounds as though you need to go back to the out of state dealer that you went to first. Good Luck.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 8:58 am

It doesn't really matter if the warranty expires tomorrow if you have a service document where you have outlined a problem. You'll have to fight it, but the fact is, the problem hasn't been fixed. I'd raise hell with the dealer and insist that they get the BMW rep on the phone to discuss.
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback.

I have no service documents that mention the problems that are not getting fixed. They cleverly don't mention them on the copies that I get when I pick up the bike. On paper, I am sure it looks like I never mentioned the problems.

I would have gone back to the out of state dealer months ago, but it is 600 miles. I am located in a rural area, so it takes 4 hours of time for two people to take it to the closest dealer (I don't have a trailer).

What makes the problem worse, is that I sold my Yamaha to buy the BMW. I have a Yamaha dealer locally that is GREAT! I have invested more time in warranty issues on the BMW that I have ever bike I have ever owned combined. I love riding the BMW, but the rest of the story is not good.

I have talked to a dealer that is about 4 hours away that seems really great and I have heard many good things about them... I just hate to invest the time it will take to take the bike that far to get it serviced.

Ted, I appreciate your offer to help, but I think I should buy from whatever dealer I am going to be working with. At this point, I may be working with the Yamaha dealer very soon. If I choose to stay with BMW, I would like to help the dealer that helps me.
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:44 am

Damn gremlins I know your frustation but they are right take it to a good dealer. Hey I did'nt know there was an extened warrenty on these anyone got one cause mine sure does need it. oh well ride safe all. jim

Jim Giordano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in