Running Rich Canistor Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Question Running Rich Canistor Removal

After removal of the charcoal canistor the old beast seems to be running a bit to rich. Milage has dropped down to about 34mpg. During the removal I pulled out the battery. After install I reset the throttle and have been riding it to the tune of about 350mi. Seems like the Motronic should have reset it's self by now. Routed tank vent leading down the right side of the bike down to near swing arm pivot with a fuel filter at the end to keep out dirt. Vacumn line from throttle body on the left side plugged and secured with hose clamp. So what gives? Will this all blow through or do I need to go back under the truck and change something???

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:23 pm

Sounds like you did everything correctly. Why don't you try pulling the Moronic's fuse for 30 minutes? Right-most fuse box, bottom fuse, IIRC. (As you're looking at the 3 fuse boxes, it's the left-most box.)
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:26 pm

Number 4

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Joe thanks for the info. The battery was out of the bike for over a week. Was in the process of installing HID,XM,Power Outlet in dash,LED dash lights, and for big laugh with my HD buddies a backup alarm and lights. It worked, I have gotten more laughs and head shaking. Surpisingly it all works quite well. I will try pulling the fuse and reseting the throttle boddies again. MPG is now down to just 32. Hope the reset works. Sure love the HID, mounted the ballast and ignitor on top of head light housing with the 3M Sure Lock.......

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 3:01 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I also did the full Motronic reset during a recent full service & farkle install. My canister has been gone for years, but I recently removed all the lines and solenoid and plugged things at the fuel rail.

The bike didn't want to idle for quite a while, but eventually settled down. I'm still pretty far down on gas mileage though, after 1K miles of highway in two days. The gas mileage did go up when I hit Oregon (and lower speed limits), but not quite as much as it used to.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Mar 25th, 2006 at 3:15 am.
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 7:24 am

Hey Ken, keep an eye on the nipple plugs. I used those soft, rubber caps from the help section of Auto Zone. A few years down the line, with all the heat, not to mention Texas summers, they get hard, brittle and start developing cracks.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 5:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey Ken, keep an eye on the nipple plugs. I used those soft, rubber caps from the help section of Auto Zone. A few years down the line, with all the heat, not to mention Texas summers, they get hard, brittle and start developing cracks.
That's exactly what I used. Any thoughts about a better replacement? Or should I just plan on changing them out once a year or so?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 7:50 pm

I don't think once a year is necessary. A few years, or when they start getting hard and cracking. I bought bright colored ones this time! Very festive.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 8:25 pm

What nipple plugs are you talking about ?
Are there some on the fuel rail ?

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in