Paint guard - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Paint guard

Hi anyone use that paint guard film that i see on ebay looks good just wonder if anyone tried it yet .

Jim Giordano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordiver
Hi anyone use that paint guard film that i see on ebay looks good just wonder if anyone tried it yet .
I tried some on my K12S . . . more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. I suspect there's a 'learned' technique but I ended up deep sixing it!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 5:41 pm

I have used it on my cars (hood, front roof-line, front of mirror housings, front of bumpers) and it has worked great! Unless you get right up to the surface you can't tell that it is there. The only issue that I have had is that when I wax the vehicle it is more difficult to get rid of the dried wax that forms at the edge of the protective film.
I have recently purchased an LT kit from one of our members (hasn't arrived yet) and will post photo's when it is installed.
This is NOT a job that I would tackle myself, especially with all the compound curves that have to be dealt with on the LT. My auto detailer is charging me $125 to install---- a good deal in my mind.

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 7:18 pm

A good deal in my mind too. It takes IMO some talent and lots of experience; in both areas I am short. But agreed, once on can help a lot.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 7:51 pm

Roy - Paint protection kit

Hi Roy - I'm suprised the kit is not there yet. They did tell me it would take like 6 - 8 days to get there, and that was air mail!!

Please let me know when you get it.
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:37 pm

Protective film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordiver
Jim,

I have had it on my LT for about 5-6000 miles. It was a pain in the a$$ to install, but I think it was worth it. I have a couple dips in it where rocks hit it and they would have been dips in the paint if the protective film wasn't there.

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:57 pm

Clearwater Florida

A skydive buddy of mine in Clearwater Florida installs the film on cars and has done it to his 2005 K1200LT. Looks good and is hardly noticeable. He was thinking of selling kits if there is any interest. Let me know and I'll get him to post some information.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:10 pm

Tim - The Canadian Postal Service is still using horses (or mules) . This kind of a wait period is something I have learned to live with. I will let you know when it arrives. Thanks
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:15 pm

Dano - you may want to direct your friend to www.xpel.com to see if it would be worth his while (that will give him an idea on competitor pricing)
The kit that I got from SeaMarshall was from them.
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 8:29 am

Thumbs up Paint Protection Kits

For anyone interested, I sell the 3M film kits that come from Xpel; as well I sell the headlite protection kits.

I can sell them a lot cheaper than what you'd typically pay. If interested, contact me at: [email protected] , or leave me a msg. here on the board.
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 9:06 am

Roy,

If you take a soft bristle tooth brush and brush along the area where the paint and paint guard are you will find that the wax comes off real easy and leaves no marks. I have been using a toothbrush for many things like getting the wax out of all sorts of areas and it works every time (as long as you let the wax completely dry first.)

Steve
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:19 am

Thanks Steve - toothbrush added to waxing kit as we speak
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Good news the expel dealer here in raliegh says bring her down and he will cover what ever i want he does it in bulk so there are no kit things to tick me off. Ball park a great number so I think i will let him do it i really am thinking about a light film on window i use film tear offs on my stuff at work and they really keep the plastic good. well i will let you know how it goes but thanks for the info . jim

Jim Giordano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:22 am

Quote:... i use film tear offs on my stuff at work and they really keep the plastic good. well i will let you know how it goes but thanks for the info . jim

Hey Jim, tell me more about these film tear-offs. It's something I always thought would be great on a cycle?

Thanks, John

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
Dano - you may want to direct your friend to www.xpel.com to see if it would be worth his while (that will give him an idea on competitor pricing)
The kit that I got from SeaMarshall was from them.
Thanks Roy.

His main product is for cars ( local dealers sub to him and mark up 100%) and he does bikes on the side. By the way, I did my own headlight with the clear film 2 years ago and it seems to work well. It was easy to install.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Yes! Covered the nose, leading edge of the side bags (about 6" back) and the center section of the lower faring. Wish Ida done the mirrors and the front of the lower portion of the upper tupperware, cause we found a dust/rock storm in 04 that pitted every surface that was not guarded. I did some of it, and a local (Minneapolis) detailing shop did the rest. VERY pleased with the result! Would do it again. WILL do the mirrors, fender and lower portion after it's repainted.

HTH

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in