gas leak, help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy gas leak, help

My 02 LT has been setting for 2 wks, today when I started it I heard a pop near the instrument panel. Thought it was a fuse, might be, but I noticed fuel flowing rather generously over my right head. Well, I had to get to work so I parked it in the garage. I'd like to get an idea of what I'm getting into when I get home tonight. I've never had the skin off of this bike but I plan on it tonight. Can someone give me an idea of what I'll be seeing tonight. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibbs
My 02 LT has been setting for 2 wks, today when I started it I heard a pop near the instrument panel. Thought it was a fuse, might be, but I noticed fuel flowing rather generously over my right head. Well, I had to get to work so I parked it in the garage. I'd like to get an idea of what I'm getting into when I get home tonight. I've never had the skin off of this bike but I plan on it tonight. Can someone give me an idea of what I'll be seeing tonight. Thanks.
"Right head"??

I assume you are talking about the crank cover, which is on the right side.

If so, you probably blew one of the quick disconnects for the tank. There was a service bulletin on this, and the dealers replace the disconnects, or the "O" rings in them. These are located right over the crank cover, on the right side of the bike. Not a biggie, but be glad it happened in your garage, and not on the road.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 3 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 9:18 pm

gas leak, help

I had a gas leak while on the road to work. Kept smelling gas but couldn't tell where it was coming from. When I got to work, I noticed my right boot was damp. It was gas. One of the plastic quick connect had actually cracked and gas would seep out whenever the throttle was advanced, but would not leak at idle. I carefully rode it home and ordered a replacement quick connect fitting and changed it out myself. It wasn't that hard, just lots of plastic to remove to get to it.

bikertz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in