Chrome Wheels for LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By black1200lt
  • 1 Post By messenger13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Chrome Wheels for LT

Is there anywhere that one could buy chrome wheels for the LT. I know it is a stupid question, but hey I am a former Harley rider what can you expect?
Leon
05 Blue LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 4:01 pm

I did some looking for you, nothing specific. Remember, LT a low volume bike, companies like Performance aren't going to be making them selling 2 wheels a decade. But, lots of wheel chroming companies. Do a Google search "Chrome Cycle Wheels", at risk of being obvious. Buy two new ones send them out for chroming.

Now that you have let everyone know you are crazy, heck, painted aluminum wheels bad enough to keep clean: and you want fogging, etc. Ah well. Now, if someone would coat the wheels in this color, now that would be progress: BRAKE DUST BROWN/GRAY . . . now there's a color that would sell!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #3 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 4:34 pm

Might want to shoot this eBay seller an email. I imagine it would be the same cost as those wheels.

post #4 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 4:38 pm

You don't want to do that to the LT wheels. They do not take well to chrome. A few people have done it, only to find out that they flake off and it was a waste of money.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
radar41 likes this.
post #5 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 4:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideIt
Is there anywhere that one could buy chrome wheels for the LT. I know it is a stupid question, but hey I am a former Harley rider what can you expect?
Leon
05 Blue LT
2 or 3 people have tried chroming the stock wheels, and regretted it. Chrome is VERY difficult to put on aluminum and have it last very long without pitting or peeling. It certainly can be done, but the good jobs are by companies doing it in a large production mode, with really good process controls. Small custom platers usually cannot control things well enough to consistently get good results on aluminum. There are probably ones that can, but how do you find them?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 5:17 pm

Garage
A while back I too was thinking of getting the LT wheels chromed, but the wise comments from this forum made me rethink that idea. I don't know if this will help you and others, but one of my riding buddies has an 04 LT on which he polished off the black coating from the aluminum brakets holding the rear passenger armrests to the top case. They were originally painted black, but one could never tell by looking at them now. If the aluminum wheels on our beloved LT are also painted, it might be feasible to polish off the paint and get a shiny aluminum finish. Not chrome, but close. Might then clearcoat them to preserve the luster. I'm not an expert on this, but others in this forum might be able to comment on the feasibility of this idea. Good luck.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #7 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 5:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
A while back I too was thinking of getting the LT wheels chromed, but the wise comments from this forum made me rethink that idea. I don't know if this will help you and others, but one of my riding buddies has an 04 LT on which he polished off the black coating from the aluminum brakets holding the rear passenger armrests to the top case. They were originally painted black, but one could never tell by looking at them now. If the aluminum wheels on our beloved LT are also painted, it might be feasible to polish off the paint and get a shiny aluminum finish. Not chrome, but close. Might then clearcoat them to preserve the luster. I'm not an expert on this, but others in this forum might be able to comment on the feasibility of this idea. Good luck.
That too is maintenance intensive. You either have to keep polishing them or they turn ugly and if you clear coat them that paint yellows crack and chips off.
Now, just shut up and be happy with what you GOTS!
post #8 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 5:27 pm

The only bad part about taking off the existing coating to polish the wheels is the clear coat you put on afterwards never seems to be as strong as the factory coat. Get one pit in the clear coat and some salt on the roads and you'll end up with some spots that won't go away. My approach is if people can see your wheels, you aren't going fast enough....

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #9 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I did some looking for you, nothing specific. Remember, LT a low volume bike, companies like Performance aren't going to be making them selling 2 wheels a decade. But, lots of wheel chroming companies. Do a Google search "Chrome Cycle Wheels", at risk of being obvious. Buy two new ones send them out for chroming.

Now that you have let everyone know you are crazy, heck, painted aluminum wheels bad enough to keep clean: and you want fogging, etc. Ah well. Now, if someone would coat the wheels in this color, now that would be progress: BRAKE DUST BROWN/GRAY . . . now there's a color that would sell!
Talking about the Brake Dust Problem. I read in one of the motorcycle mags about "Michelin Brake Dust Repellent". Anyway, I bought a spray bottle and tried it before I rode to Daytona for Bike Week. Still have not washed my bike and the wheels still look great. We really need to promote this miracle.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #10 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1200lt
That too is maintenance intensive. You either have to keep polishing them or they turn ugly and if you clear coat them that paint yellows crack and chips off.
Now, just shut up and be happy with what you GOTS!
I disagree. Polished aluminum is not hard to keep looking great. And NO...you never clear coat over aluminum. That makes it look like CRAP!

Quote:
Talking about the Brake Dust Problem. I read in one of the motorcycle mags about "Michelin Brake Dust Repellent". Anyway, I bought a spray bottle and tried it before I rode to Daytona for Bike Week. Still have not washed my bike and the wheels still look great. We really need to promote this miracle.
Thanks for the tip! I'll buy me some and report back.
beech likes this.
post #11 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 6:53 pm

I saw a segment a few months on either "Two Guy's Garage" or "Dream Car Garage" that demonstrated a polish/sealer for aluminum car wheels that was guaranteed to not oxidize or discolor for a year. Don't remember the name of the product but, most of those shows indicate you can research the products they demonstrate by going back to their web page.
post #12 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 7:00 pm

Geeeezzzzz Joe - that is one beautiful bike !! No wonder you rag on us so much about it .
post #13 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:01 pm

Did anyone see this one at the last MOA Rally? Not only did the wheel but
the whole shaft drive unit. Not sure who it belonged to, but looked really nice!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01044-Resized.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2684  

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #14 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
Geeeezzzzz Joe - that is one beautiful bike !! No wonder you rag on us so much about it .
Aww . . . shucks!

Truth be told, I love the way the bike looks. But I'm more about how it performs and functions. Much like the LT. It's a beauty, but only because of how well it functions.
post #15 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:43 pm

That is a sweet ride

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #16 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Leon
05 Blue LT
Wow! I need that! My 525i has polished aluminum wheels, brake dust kills them.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #17 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Talking about the Brake Dust Problem. I read in one of the motorcycle mags about "Michelin Brake Dust Repellent".
Darn. I just checked the Michelin website about that, they say it lasts "up to two weeks!" No good for me. I don't mess with wheels on cars or bikes that often.

I am going to try "Klasse" on my wheels next time I polish them, unless I can find something better.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #18 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Darn. I just checked the Michelin website about that, they say it lasts "up to two weeks!" No good for me. I don't mess with wheels on cars or bikes that often.

I am going to try "Klasse" on my wheels next time I polish them, unless I can find something better.
I tell you that brake dust will not stick to the wheels with the Michelin Brake Dust Repellent, so cleaning should be no problem and you just wipe this stuff on. Before I could ride 100 miles and my back rim would be black but no more. You really need to try it.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #19 of 33 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:43 pm

You could chrome the side stand and center stand; handle bars; reverse knob.

Bob
post #20 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
You could chrome the side stand and center stand; handle bars; reverse knob.

Bob
Now someone is finally getting the picture. But I really wish I could buy some aftermarket wheels or how about some wire spoke wheels from a R1200 C. Oh well I will just keep looking and dreaming and riding the heck out of this bike just like it is. Like someone said if they can see your wheels you are not riding fast enough.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #21 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:08 am

Exclamation

Quote:
I tell you that brake dust will not stick to the wheels with the Michelin Brake Dust Repellent, so cleaning should be no problem and you just wipe this stuff on. ----------05 Blue LT
But the Michelin website leads one to believe you would have to wipe it on every two weeks!

This is from the Michelin website:
"When Michelin Brake Dust Repellent is applied regularly, wheels stay cleaner longer and future cleaning time is reduced. Each application lasts about two weeks."

That is no good for me. I am one of those who wash my cars and bikes annually, whether they need it or not. To me, wheel care is trying not to hit anything hard enough to bend them.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #22 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:21 am

I got all excited about this brake dust repellent and still may go out and get some. But heck, I can wipe down the wheels after a long ride in about 5 minutes and they are like new. I was hoping to go months without cleaning wheels. Guess there's just no magic that's gonna eliminate hard work!

My wife's M Benz's wheels look like hell after 2-days so her car may be a reason to get the stuff. My Jeep's wheels never get brake dust on them. Someone told me that only German cars (and bike by extension) get so dirty since the pads are so 'soft'. Can't attest but based upon my wife's car and my BMW cycles, it appears so.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #23 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:40 am

Quote:
I got all excited about this brake dust repellent and still may go out and get some. But heck, I can wipe down the wheels after a long ride in about 5 minutes and they are like new. I was hoping to go months without cleaning wheels. Guess there's just no magic that's gonna eliminate hard work!
Maybe this is old news to everybody else, but my brother showed me the pair of wheel brushes he picked up at an auto parts store. They are shaped appropriately for getting into a wheel's nooks and crannies; makes removing brake dust (and rear drive oil!) quick and easy, with your favorite wheel cleaner of choice. I will no longer use a regular old sponge, getting mediocre results. See attached pics, before and after cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2696   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	2697  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #24 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:18 am

I've had excellent results keeping polished aluminum wheels dust free using Simichrome. It is the best finishing metal polish I've ever used, period.

It is expensive, but a little goes a long way, and it has a wax-like finish when you are done polishing that stays on for a loooong time. Brake dust can not stick to it.

Made in Germany but available just about anywhere. This is the cheapest I've seen it:

http://www.moldshoptools.com/catalog...5eb6d975684e8d

(ACE hardware either carries it or can order it for you as well) Bite the bullet and buy the big can - it will last for years.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 24th, 2006 at 11:28 am.
post #25 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:24 am

You're hired! Good job Howard!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #26 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:31 am

Quote:
You're hired! Good job Howard!
Thanks, but I clean my wheels so infrequently that I don't think I want to take on anyone else's!

I should have added: I sprayed Simple Green on the wheel, let it stand for a minute, then brushed the crap off. It really was easy -- with the right brush.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #27 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Re: Chrome Wheels for LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideIt View Post
I tell you that brake dust will not stick to the wheels with the Michelin Brake Dust Repellent, so cleaning should be no problem and you just wipe this stuff on. Before I could ride 100 miles and my back rim would be black but no more. You really need to try it.
Leon
05 Blue LT
Sounds great but how do I clean them in the first place? I got sticky glue from all the past wheel weights and a few sticky black dots I don't know what they are! Not to mention everything blocking the rim from view.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #28 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 3:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Sounds great but how do I clean them in the first place? I got sticky glue from all the past wheel weights and a few sticky black dots I don't know what they are! Not to mention everything blocking the rim from view.
I assume you are attempting to bring back new life in this 11 year old discussion... I also use Simple Green for cleaning my wheels. On the LT, guys couldn't believe I had 46K miles on it as it was so clean, but then again, I washed it about every other month.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #29 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
On the LT, guys couldn't believe I had 46K miles on it as it was so clean, but then again, I washed it about every other month.
How'd you get to all the nooks and crannies with the saddle bags and that front fender?

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #30 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2017, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I spray diluted Simple Green onto the wheels or other greased up areas and the hose it off. After that, I wash down the bike with Maguiar's car wash shampoo and conditioner and a wash mitten, then hose it off and towel dry the bike. Takes about an hour for the whole bike. With the GTLE, I can take the panniers off and wash them off the bike. The LT was a little more difficult reaching behind the panniers. Both are/were washed while on the center stand.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #31 of 33 Old May 4th, 2017, 9:54 pm

I have a friend that had his chromed. Turned out great. His name is Scott. (217)202-1221
post #32 of 33 Old May 5th, 2017, 2:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
How'd you get to all the nooks and crannies with the saddle bags and that front fender?
I use a five fingered wash glove that helps clean the wheels. I wash half the front wheel and then roll it to wash the other half. It spins pretty easily with the bike on the center stand as there isn't that much weight on the front. Just pull upward on the wheel to rotate it, not forward or risk pulling the bike off the centerstand.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #33 of 33 Old May 7th, 2017, 12:02 pm

I would advise against it. I still have a 99 Suzuki Intruder VL1500 that I bought brand new in 1999. It's a big tire (150 front 180 rear) bike with big gracious swooping fenders that make a Fat Boy look downright anorexic. Anyways. I always envisioned the bike as a hot rod, instead of the wheelbarrow handle barred bike they pushed it as. I customised the bike with custom paint, chrome and drag bars with 5.5" risers. Anyways. Tried chroming the aluminium wheels. They didn't last 2 years. They clouded and peeled. So I had them stripped & polished. Needless to say. The bike is beautiful. But takes a week to detail all the chrome and aluminium. Wished I'd left the wheels alone. To much work!!! The LT is so much easier to clean.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in