Mirror....Mirror on the shake.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Mirror....Mirror on the shake....

Well, Trouble with mirrors on the LT. Guess, the pop-off-drop-the-mirror-and-then-tether-it is a known situation. Mine is a bit different.

While installing the Hella FF50's, I had to remove the left mirror quite a number of times to test fit the lights. Now, I notice that there is a shake in the mirror. It seems to vibrate quite a bit while the engine is running - stopped or while riding. I was assuming that the mirror head might have gotten loose. Last night I popped off the mirror and noticed that the retainer clips in the mirrors seem to not be holding on tight to the 3 posts. This is causing a shake in the entire mirror body and is annoying while riding. For now, I put a piece of foam between the mirror and the mounting to keep the mirror from shaking.

Is there a way to tighten those clips?

Prakash Krishnamurthy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:58 pm

You can tweek them a little with needle nose pliers, But most people have better luck lubing the balls and clits I mean clips.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashd
Well, Trouble with mirrors on the LT. Guess, the pop-off-drop-the-mirror-and-then-tether-it is a known situation. Mine is a bit different.

While installing the Hella FF50's, I had to remove the left mirror quite a number of times to test fit the lights. Now, I notice that there is a shake in the mirror. It seems to vibrate quite a bit while the engine is running - stopped or while riding. I was assuming that the mirror head might have gotten loose. Last night I popped off the mirror and noticed that the retainer clips in the mirrors seem to not be holding on tight to the 3 posts. This is causing a shake in the entire mirror body and is annoying while riding. For now, I put a piece of foam between the mirror and the mounting to keep the mirror from shaking.

Is there a way to tighten those clips?
Look closely at the FRONT clip area, very likely that the plastic is broken on the front edge. That is a weak point in the plastic, and many of us have repaired that by drilling small holes on either side of the split, "lacing" it back up with strong thread or monofiliment then coating it with a thin layer of epoxy.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:55 pm

I believe you can buy a new inter plastic part if it is broken and you can buy new clips it you can't seem to get your old ones to work. If you search though the hall of wisdom you will find a tread that addresses a way to better attach the mirrors. I lost mine 3 time in a month and broke the tethers each time. I think I've got it right this time. RIDE SAFE
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:00 pm

I think I have a clip or two that I could send to you if needed. Just hollar.
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:10 pm

Yes, the inner plastic body can be replaced for less than 50 dollars, at least for the chrome mirrors. I seem to recall an old post mentioning the painted mirrors are built differently.
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I think I have a clip or two that I could send to you if needed. Just hollar.

Sent ya a PM.

Thanks!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
You can tweek them a little with needle nose pliers, But most people have better luck lubing the balls and clits I mean clips.

Hmm....Its pretty late in the night here and well....don't put ideas into this feeble brain <G>

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #9 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Look closely at the FRONT clip area, very likely that the plastic is broken on the front edge. That is a weak point in the plastic, and many of us have repaired that by drilling small holes on either side of the split, "lacing" it back up with strong thread or monofiliment then coating it with a thin layer of epoxy.
David, Those instructions went way over my head!! I am prolly the last person you would want messing with your bike I will surely take down those notes and look further into the possiblities. Thanks!!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in