Auxillary Fuse Blocks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Auxillary Fuse Blocks

Hi guys, me again. Does anyone out there have pictures of their fuse block installation on their K1200LT? I would love to see some and find out which products you used and if you used an isolation relay or not. I'm trying to do this right the first time. Thanks, Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 7:50 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Auxillary Fuse Blocks

THIS is what I used on my Lt. It fits right on top of the battery. Sorry no pics of it. I wired it to a "trigger" relay so it turns off with the bike. Here is a basic trigger Relay. # 86 terminal I ran to the rear seat heater power. # 87 will go to the fuse block. #30 to the Battery & #85 is ground (I went to battery ground) Hope this helps.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 7:59 am

Hey Robert,
There are several suppliers for the fuse boxes. I went to O'Reilys and picked up the box, a basic relay, and the kind of fuse that illuminates when it blows. I wired the relay trigger thru the rear seat heat because it is in the load shed circuit. I mounted the box and relay above the right rear saddlebag, in a hidden area between frame rails, under the passenger seat. I didn't want to mount above the battery, for access purposes. I can take a pic later after work. Make all your connections weatherproof!

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)

post #4 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
THIS is what I used on my Lt. It fits right on top of the battery. Sorry no pics of it. I wired it to a "trigger" relay so it turns off with the bike. Here is a basic trigger Relay. # 86 terminal I ran to the rear seat heater power. # 87 will go to the fuse block. #30 to the Battery & #85 is ground (I went to battery ground) Hope this helps.
Excellent choice in fuse blocks.

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #5 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 9:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn

I did something like that on my RT. Instead of the Hella, I used a Bosch style (knockoffs!) SPDT relay that I had gotten off eBay for about $4. Your Hella, as shown is a SPST relay, and I wanted a double throw (DT) relay for a specific reason. I hooked up the hot terminal of my battery tender's pigtail lead to the "normally close" contact of the relay and the other to ground terminal on my fuse box (or directly to the -ve terminal on the battery, if you wish). I tapped into the aux. power outlet on the bike to trigger the relay (for me, it was readily accessible). With my set up, I can hook up the battery tender when the bike is turned off, and when the bike is switched on, the fuse box gets power and disconnect the tender's pigtail lead. All of the electrical connections are external to the battery, and I have just one 12 gauge wire running to each terminals of the battery. I also use an inline fuse block in the 12 gauge line going to the battery, with a 30 amps fuse.

My fuse box is epoxied to a plastic base along with the relay, and I use the bike's battery hold-down strap to hold the plate down on top of the battery (the fuse box is at one end of the plate, and the relay is at the other end, leaving space in the middle for the strap).

Oh, one other tip. I didn't like the fact that there were exposed metal on the fuse box that I used that will be energized when the bike is turned on. So, I went to the drug store and bought a cheap nail varnish (99 cents), bright red, and use that to paint any exposed metal that I didn't want to be accidentally grounded. Nail varnish makes a very convenient insulator, and it sticks!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 10:26 am

i just bought power & ground blocks from electrical connection very nice stuff but not cheep.
post #7 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 10:59 am
Super Moderator

Here are picts of my recent install of the Fuzeblock (http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=1#board)
- in my opinion a well engineered fuse block with the motorcyclist in mind.

On my former LT I had a Centech AP-1 (http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/panels/ap1.shtml)
but I switched because of the quality and details of the Fuzeblock. There are some pros and cons:

Pros for Centech AP-1:
1. Unit allows you pull out the fuses without taking off the cover
(This is convenient especially late at night on the side of the road troubleshooting)
2. Lower cost

Cons for Centech AP-1:
1. It is possible to drop fuses into the unit - ask me how I know
2. Possible to short out fuses
3. Unit is very open and I believe built more for an auto enthusiast
4. All connected devices require an external relay for proper wiring

Pros for Fuzeblock:
1. Unit has a cover with documentation - better protection for the fuses
2. Unit has an on board relay
3. Easier to wire up devices as in most cases for an LT you so not need auxiliary relays
4. Unit allows for switched and unswitched connections - same as Centech AP-2
5. The Fuzeblock site - totally dedicated to the motorcyclist with excellent documentation

Cons for Fuzeblock:
1. Need to remove cover to troubleshoot - replace fuses
2. Initial Price
3. Maybe use of micro fuses - not as available

To mount on the top of the battery cover I used heavy duty velcro and I made all the
wires long enough that I could pull the Fuzeblock off and get it out of the way for
battery maintenance and replacement. No problems with an Odyssey PC 680 battery
(http://www.odysseybattery.com/powerspecs.html) and the seat clearance is not an issue.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; May 27th, 2012 at 12:12 pm.
post #8 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 11:09 am

Thumbs up Re: Auxillary Fuse Blocks

nice set up looks like you did a great job of the install too. no pronlem with seat clearence ?
post #9 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 12:07 pm

If you are looking for pre-made and only have a few items to add, this can be tucked in anywhere at a reasonable price.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...3_circuit.html

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #10 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Here are picts of my recent install of the Fuzeblock (http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=1#board)
- in my opinion a well engineered fuse block with the motorcyclist in mind.

On my former LT I had a Centech AP-1 (http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/panels/ap1.shtml)
but I switched because of the quality and details of the Fuzeblock. There are some pros and cons:

Pros for Centech AP-1:
1. Unit allows you pull out the fuses without taking off the cover
(This is convenient especially late at night on the side of the road troubleshooting)
2. Lower cost

Cons for Centech AP-1:
1. It is possible to drop fuses into the unit - ask me how I know
2. Possible to short out fuses
3. Unit is very open and I believe built more for an auto enthusiast
4. All connected devices require an external relay for proper wiring

Pros for Fuzeblock:
1. Unit has a cover with documentation - better protection for the fuses
2. Unit has an on board relay
3. Easier to wire up devices as in most cases for an LT you so not need auxiliary relays
4. Unit allows for switched and unswitched connections - same as Centech AP-2
5. The Fuzeblock site - totally dedicated to the motorcyclist with excellent documentation

Cons for Fuzeblock:
1. Need to remove cover to troubleshoot - replace fuses
2. Initial Price
3. Maybe use of micro fuses - not as available

To mount on the top of the battery cover I used heavy duty velcro and I made all the
wires long enough that I could pull the Fuzeblock off and get it out of the way for
battery maintenance and replacement. No problems with an Odyssey PC 680 battery
(http://www.odysseybattery.com/powerspecs.html) and the seat clearance is not an issue.
Very nice install! I love neat wiring!
Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #11 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
Hey Robert,
There are several suppliers for the fuse boxes. I went to O'Reilys and picked up the box, a basic relay, and the kind of fuse that illuminates when it blows. I wired the relay trigger thru the rear seat heat because it is in the load shed circuit. I mounted the box and relay above the right rear saddlebag, in a hidden area between frame rails, under the passenger seat. I didn't want to mount above the battery, for access purposes. I can take a pic later after work. Make all your connections weatherproof!
I think that is the location I will use. Looks like enough room on either side. One side for fusebox and the other for trailer relays. Velcro stuck to the saddlebag plastic looks like the ticket. I like the idea of picking up the relay signal off of the heated seat feed wire, makes it simpler. I am leaning toward the Eastern Beaver PC-8 circuit fusebox and relay combo with two feed fuses.

Robert

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #12 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 4:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
Hi guys, me again. Does anyone out there have pictures of their fuse block installation on their K1200LT? I would love to see some and find out which products you used and if you used an isolation relay or not. I'm trying to do this right the first time. Thanks, Robert
Here are two pics of my basic installation. I bought the plastic tray to mount it in to ensure no shorting against the battery. I have since added a number of accessories so the installation no longer looks quite as clean. I can take current pics if you want to see more, but this shows the basics. I like the Fuzeblock for the most part and it has been reliable for the three years since I installed it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/fuzeblo...LTInstallation#

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Last edited by Voyager; May 27th, 2012 at 5:48 pm.
post #13 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Here are two pics of my basic installation. I bought the plastic tray to mount it in to ensure no shorting against the battery. I have since added a number of accessories so the installation no longer looks quite as clean. I can take current pics if you want to see more, but this shows the basics. I like the Fuzeblock for the most part and it has been reliable for the three years since I installed it.
I guess the pics didn't make it.
Thanks, Robert.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #14 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 5:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I guess the pics didn't make it.
Thanks, Robert.
Pilot error. I forgot to paste in the link. I just corrected the post.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 16 Old May 27th, 2012, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Pilot error. I forgot to paste in the link. I just corrected the post.
Very nice! Where did you get the tray?
Robert.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #16 of 16 Old May 28th, 2012, 12:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Very nice! Where did you get the tray?
Robert.
I knew someone would ask that and I cab't remember now. Let me search a little when I get a moment and see what I can find.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in