BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Selling my LT to a guy in Canada?

4K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  GUNTER1100 
#1 ·
I've exchanged a couple of calls with a guy in Canada that is interested in my 2003 LTC. We have agreed on a price but we are not sure about the logistics. Of course I want the cash in hand before the shipping company takes the bike and of course he wants the bike before I cash the check. I see his side of it, but there are too many scams out there for me to let the bike out of my sight without the money clearing my bank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I've seen your bike on Craigslist, and almost called you before I found one in Keller. Great bike.
DO NOT ship your bike one inch before the check has cleared. You can send him a copy of the title, and a bill of sale, PENDING THE CLEARING OF FUNDS. Don't trust even a bank check. Explain to your bank the details of your transaction, and have them verify funds PRIOR to shipment. They can call the bank up there.
There are tons of scams, including FAKE bank checks. Better to have your banker's blessing, then your buyer's approval. If he won't agree to safe terms, then beware.

#3 ·
Beware.. Especially if he's agreed to pay more than you originally asked for....

That is a big tip off...

Could be legit.. But you never know...

There are also a bunch of hoops to jump thru before you can just import a bike into Canada...

I'd suggest trying to sell this to someone in the U.S.

Good Luck

John

#6 ·
I agree about cash in hand before shipping bike. I sent a lot of cars to Canada when I was a car salesman. There are 2 things to arrange. Have a dealer print a recall history (usually no charge) on your vin and print it to send with the bike. He will need that to register in Canada. #2 To clear US customs going out, you will need a Customs form completed and copies of docs it requires. I don't recall the name or number of the form. You can call a local major dealer and see if you can get a form from them or do a google for the form.

#7 ·
I would check with dealer near the border, close to where the buyer lives. Ask them what you need to sell your bike to a Canadian.

I also agree that he should get all the paper work together, then come to you place with cash in hand. Then he can enjoy the ride home.

#8 ·
"he wants the bike before I cash the check" . . . . ?

Selling over the internet is done by in a "caveat emptor" manner - buyer beware - not seller beware!! He must meet you terms not the other way around.

If this person is truly a quality buyer, BMW enthusiast an over all good motorcycle rider he will take the risk not you.

From what you have said appears to a be a SCAM to me . . . wants to buy the bike unseen, does not meet you, and has the bike shipped while you have no security . . . right!!

Sit back, relax and make him go through all the effort - you are not a dealer and many of the issues that will come up will be foreign to you, be cooperative but remember you are looking for a buyer not a shopper that shows up with a desire, skills and abilities to make the sale happen.

I have sold two bikes in recent years ('02 K1200LT and '07' R1200GS) and in each case I had funds in place, secured by my financial institution that could not be withdrawn or cancelled. I also bought a '09K1200LT in November of last year from a member here and I went overboard in completing the transaction and making and getting the seller comfortable in the transaction - I paid off his loan, held the title and send him a certified check the picked up the bike!!

Good luck . . .

#9 ·
i have bought 3 bikes in the u.s. in the last 8 years and have picked all 3 up but we purchaced a bike for my brother in aztec new mexico the ligestics were to hard to set up.so we took a chance.
i would suggest a large deposit in advance 35 % and a tellers cheque for the balence
to be given to you by the shipping company.A only deal with a reputible shipping co like j.c.motors or similar

he will need a copy of the title in advance for customs as u.s. customs does a lein & theft search and the papers need to be provided in advance.they do not have to be signed over to the new owner at that time but the signed original is required at time of import.

#11 ·
bobst2 said:
the signed original is required at time of import.
That's why you make sure you have 100% of the funds BEFORE ship.....

#12 ·
Wombat said:
I've exchanged a couple of calls with a guy in Canada that is interested in my 2003 LTC. We have agreed on a price but we are not sure about the logistics. Of course I want the cash in hand before the shipping company takes the bike and of course he wants the bike before I cash the check. I see his side of it, but there are too many scams out there for me to let the bike out of my sight without the money clearing my bank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I was looking at importing a bike from the states because there is more variety - buyer responsible for importing bike either using a broker or doing paperwork himself, recall letter will only be supplied by Canadian dealer - if he cannot pick up bike himself reputable shipper/transporter can bring cash to complete deal

I was patient and found a Canadian bike for around same total cost

recently sold my 92 - lots of "strange" requests/emails that could be from anywhere - lots of scams

#13 ·
Thanks for all the advice. The guy sounds legit, but I guess all the good scammers do...

He lives just across the border in Windsor, ON so he wants to have the bike shipped to a dealer in Detroit to have it checked out & to get the customs paperwork in order. I will ask him for half now & for the shipping company to bring the other half.

#14 ·
Some great advice in previous replies. Be careful of the scam.
As far as the US export paperwork goes, Need to fax copy of title and vehicle worksheet for the Port it will be crossing at. US Customs needs 72 hrs to research vehicle before stamping off the original title and it to proceed North.
The Import duties and taxes for entering Canada are the new owners responsibility and at that point you should have had all money in your hand before the title is stamped by US Customs. US Customs Detroit's Vehicle Export/Import phone number is (313) 226-3139 and they can fax you the vehicle export sheet to fax along with the title and any other questions you may have. This is a free service to export a vehicle out of the United States.
Good luck, my 2 centavos would be to have him travel down to pick up the bike and drive it across himself or with rented trailer, meanwhile with all the money in your bank, begin to contemplate your next bike purchase....

#15 ·
Wombat said:
Thanks for all the advice. The guy sounds legit, but I guess all the good scammers do...

He lives just across the border in Windsor, ON so he wants to have the bike shipped to a dealer in Detroit to have it checked out & to get the customs paperwork in order. I will ask him for half now & for the shipping company to bring the other half.
I would contact the Dealer yourself (DO NOT rely on a phone number from buyer it be fake) & see if they will handle the transaction for you. They could take the payment from the Buyer & get it to you. Plus handle anything that may come up during the sale.

#16 ·
Wombat said:

why does he want your bike so bad, there are LT's for sale in Ontario, higher asking price but they are a lot more new here, hard to sell bikes right now so one has to consider that when buying or selling and deal appropiatly

I got my 2000 for about the same as buying one for less in the states plus import cost - I checked it out thoroughly

hope your bike does not end up in Detroit with no way back because he does not like it

#17 ·
Suggest you have the buyer do what I did for my '02LT in Louisville KY. Get a bundle of US cash, deliver the cash in person, provide the buyer with the 'no recall' letter from your local dealer, he addresses customs both US and Canadian plus duties and taxes picks up the bike in a UHaul, preferably an open trailer for ease of customs inspection at the border and off he goes.
Everybody satisfied.
Lindsay Ontario Canada

#18 ·
Wombat said:

Beware....If the dealer says boo about the bike, will your buyer try and talk you down on the price, knowing that the bike is already 1500 miles away from you? Just my .02, use a local dealer for the checkout, and setup with a shipping company LOCALLY. Once it leaves Corpus, you should be fully funded.
There are great scammers out there, always looking for new angles.Your bike, your control. If he wants to go through all of the trouble to buy a bike that far away, across the border, then HE should jump through all of the hoops.

#21 · (Edited)
Hey guy that works in the post office.. that was an ignorant comment about most international transactions being a scam.

I live in Canada (I am American) and am currently looking for a used RT in the U.S. I am actually looking for an R69S and/or an R75/5 to restore as well.

The reason I am looking in the U.S. in addition to Canada is two-fold:
1) The prices are about 20% less than in Canada with the Canadian dollar about par right now.
2) The number of bikes available is huge.

I would rather buy in Canada but I just have to be open-mined to the the opportunities in the U.S.

Hey postal guy here is some more info for you....
The population of Canada is about equal to that of California. The majority of the density of the Canadian population is spread out to about 6 large cities. Hey postal guy...Canada is pretty big.

As I am looking for a low millage 2009-10, there are currently about 3 for sale in all of Canada right now in the color I am after. None of them are a decent price.

And yes it's true that when we bring a current (not vintage) bike across the border we have to provide the RIV agency with a clear recall letter.

Hey postal guy... here is what the RIV agency requires:

1) A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.
The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

2) A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.
This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

If you have BMW Canada issue the recall letter they charge $500. for it. It's their way to bite back over all the U.S bikes being imported into Canada.

So postal guy...was that enough definition on why Canadians buy bikes in the U.S.

To the U.S seller. Just sell your bikes as you would in the U.S.. Get paid in full before you sign over anything. It's as simple as that.

#22 ·
WOW... postal guy, are you okay? Sounded like an artic blast from the great white north..ehh ???
No money = no honey... easy peasy....

#23 ·
Purchased my bike in US used a company called Safefunds like a escrow service but much cheaper. It all depends on your comfert level. Gentleman who sold me bike was great and everthing went off without a hitch. Google the guys name and address and see where he lives with Google maps.

Yes you have to export the bike from US and import into Canada i did all the paperwork myself and I am not a rocket scientest. Would do again if price was right

#24 ·
I purchased my 2005 LT in 2008 out of New York and everything went smooth!!

Because of the price of the bikes in the US ( agree 20% lower then Canada and the slection was better) I saved around 6,000 Can. The dollar was at par at that time also.

I would do it again if I was looking again!!

Paperwork was done by me, and the seller had the bike at the dealer the day before for an inspection before I took it home.

Regards,
Bowdon

#25 ·
Sorry to be so hard on the postal guy ..... but I have a real problem when someone speaks in absolutes, when in fact they have very little correct/accurate information.

Yes, there are plenty of scams out there.
"If it sounds too good to be true it probably is"

Ok, so where are all the low millage 2009-10 RT's for cheap. ;)

#26 ·
cul8tr said:
Never sell anything international period. I work at the Post Office and i can tell u if it is an international transaction, it is probably a scam!
I am not a Postmaster as I understand from your profile that you are cul8tr; and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night - but I think I can recognize good advice from someone who is qualified to give it. Good advice, wisdom and knowledge are abundant on this forum and that is the reason that I enjoy it so much. I am guessing that as a Postmaster, you have probably seen more scams than the rest of us put together.

Gregpinch said:
Sorry to be so hard on the postal guy ..... but I have a real problem when someone speaks in absolutes, when in fact they have very little correct/accurate information.
Thanks for your apology and the explanation of why you think you needed to rip into cul8ter like you did. DUDE - just reading that diatribe was pretty uncomfortable. I hope cul8ter wasn't so offended that he won't come back to this site and see a little remorse from you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.