estimated time for repair - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 25th, 2012, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

estimated time for repair

Going to have to undress her and change out the fuel line disconnects. First time to take it down this far. How long am I looking at?
Thanks
Ron

Rocket Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 25th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Re: estimated time for repair

I would allow a good two hours the first time. It may not take that long at all, all depends on your comfort level and how OCD/ADD you are. Second time, half that at most.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #3 of 14 Old May 25th, 2012, 9:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Piece of cake, hardest part is getting those dam plastic barbs out of the hoses!!

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

post #4 of 14 Old May 25th, 2012, 9:53 pm

I may have to do this myself. I'm not seeing any leakage, but having very strong gas odor coming from the bike. Was yours leaking enough that you were could see gas dripping from the bike, or was it just fumes?
post #5 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 3:36 am

Don't be too concerned abot the time it takes, rather you need to focuus on the quality of the job you're about to do. This is a good time to tip out the fuel tank and change
the fuel filter if it's close to being scheduled. On the QD's, take time to get the clamps positioned just right, so they don't rub on the opposite hose etc. When you push the QD's together be 100% certain that the locking tab has fully seated in the clip groove (it should pop out fully). They're a great thing, just be sure you have them 'right'.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #6 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 4:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
Don't be too concerned abot the time it takes, rather you need to focuus on the quality of the job you're about to do. This is a good time to tip out the fuel tank and change
the fuel filter if it's close to being scheduled. On the QD's, take time to get the clamps positioned just right, so they don't rub on the opposite hose etc. When you push the QD's together be 100% certain that the locking tab has fully seated in the clip groove (it should pop out fully). They're a great thing, just be sure you have them 'right'.
+1... Fire bad!

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #7 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 6:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiss9
Piece of cake, hardest part is getting those dam plastic barbs out of the hoses!!
+1 It is not easy to get the metal hose clamp off. Take your time and be patient.

The hardest part. Undressing her is easy if you follow available information. Use the time to get acquainted.

Holding the inside part of the fuel line with vice grips made it easier for me. There is not a lot of hose to work with.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 6:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider
I may have to do this myself. I'm not seeing any leakage, but having very strong gas odor coming from the bike. Was yours leaking enough that you were could see gas dripping from the bike, or was it just fumes?
Thanks for the tips. Only reason I was asking about the time is that my schedule is full and didn't want to get into it and then have to stop. Bike has been down for two weeks...no time to work on it and here's a holiday weekend that I can't ride. I'll tackle it today! Fortunately, I had ordered the disconnects and had had them for a couple of weeks. My bike is 10 yrs old and I knew it was only a matter of time.

Bamarider.....I smelled the fumes and thought it was someone else in the traffic I was in. Then...the odor stuck with me. When I stopped, my shoe was wet and the bike was dripping. Fortunately it was on the pump side so when the fuel pump was off it stopped leaking. I rode it to my garage with my right leg sticking out and saying prayers that no one would throw out a cigarette!

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #9 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Thanks for the tips. Only reason I was asking about the time is that my schedule is full and didn't want to get into it and then have to stop. Bike has been down for two weeks...no time to work on it and here's a holiday weekend that I can't ride. I'll tackle it today! Fortunately, I had ordered the disconnects and had had them for a couple of weeks. My bike is 10 yrs old and I knew it was only a matter of time.

Bamarider.....I smelled the fumes and thought it was someone else in the traffic I was in. Then...the odor stuck with me. When I stopped, my shoe was wet and the bike was dripping. Fortunately it was on the pump side so when the fuel pump was off it stopped leaking. I rode it to my garage with my right leg sticking out and saying prayers that no one would throw out a cigarette!
Sometimes it's hard here to get the answer one's looking for, but all these guys have good intentions w/ their replies.

Sounds like you're replacing the cheap QDs for the better designed aftermarket ones? If so, I'd be interested in reading an account of how well it went, being your first time, as well as the amount of time you spend on the endeavor.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #10 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 7:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Sometimes it's hard here to get the answer one's looking for, but all these guys have good intentions w/ their replies.

S
Painting with a rather broad brush!

I re-read all of the comments and I think that many gave great answers. Sometimes additional helpful information is given. Sometime there is no simple answer and additional information helps to clarify it for others.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 7:17 am

I noticed that no one mentioned that you only need to remove the right upper panel to get to the QD's If all you need to do is the QD's. If you have time limits, don't go any deeper in than you need to.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #12 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Painting with a rather broad brush!

I re-read all of the comments and I think that many gave great answers. Sometimes additional helpful information is given. Sometime there is no simple answer and additional information helps to clarify it for others.
Dan, you're sooooo sensitive. Is the humidity thick today in Tampa?

I actually prefer painting w/ a sprayer.

Sometimes, it appears readers only skim through the replies.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #13 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Sometimes, it appears readers only skim through the replies.

+1 ! And nobody mentioned that you need to pull off the upper right panel!

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #14 of 14 Old May 26th, 2012, 3:20 pm

1-2 hours. The reality is that your fuel lines are all ten years old. Half of them sitting on top of the motor (hot) the other half of them sitting in fuel. Replace your QD's now and ride the bike to the bottom of the tank. Save yourself some problems down the road and replace the fuel filter, lines and clamps as soon as possible. Don't forget to put dielectric grease into all your electrical connectors that you come across during the take down.

John

2002 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in