Radio Wiring Diagram Needed! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 24th, 2012, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Radio Wiring Diagram Needed!

I have searched high and low for a readable version of the Radio Wiring diagram for the 2005 1200LT.

Can someone who has it send it to me at [email protected]? It would be greatly appreciated!

I have made the choice to "Jensenize" my LT. Tupperware is all off, and I am working on mounting the Commander unit to the stingray.

I am leaning on putting the amp unit into the back of the R saddlebag. My reasoning is that future access to USB or Aux inputs may be needed, and I like the prospect of putting more 'stuff' in the glove box. If I mount it on the back wall, it won't take up too much space and it will still be easily accessable if something goes wrong.

Thanks in advance!

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Predecessor:
1999 K1200LT (entered the BMW "organ donation program" on 6/2/11) 38,256 Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 24th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Re: Radio Wiring Diagram Needed!

Look at CochinoSucio's thread on his radio install. He mounted it in place of the CD changer, and also put USB etc in the oddments box.

As for the diagram, I will try to see if I can find it. JZ has, IIRC, posted it not too long ago.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #3 of 18 Old May 25th, 2012, 9:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I sent him an e-mail with the diagram.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 18 Old May 25th, 2012, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John! However, its really tough to make out some of the coding and I would like a legend of the connectors if at all possible.

Does anyone else have another version?

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

Predecessor:
post #5 of 18 Old May 25th, 2012, 1:52 pm

I will post what I have in a couple hours. That way a future search by another member will show all wire color codes and plug locations. Need to get home first.

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #6 of 18 Old May 25th, 2012, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
I will post what I have in a couple hours. That way a future search by another member will show all wire color codes and plug locations. Need to get home first.

Thanks!

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

Predecessor:
post #7 of 18 Old May 25th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Ok, sorry for the delay. Longhorns, chickens, ducks, cats and dogs were very demanding today!

You will no longer need the intercom or the remote radio controls, so don't worry about those wires, or connectors.
Here is what does apply to you.....

Connectors under the left side of the stingray....
Red----------------------Battery CONSTANT (memory)
Brown-------------------Ground
Purple/Black Stripe--Switched, fused (15A)

Blue/Red Stripe-------Right Front +
Blue/Purple Stripe----Right Front -

Yellow/Purple Stripe--Left Front -
Yellow/Red Stripe-----Left Front +

Connectors under the passenger seat
Yellow/Blue Stripe-----Left Rear +
Yellow---------------------Left Rear -

Blue/Purple--------------Right Rear +
Blue/Grey Stripe--------Right Rear -

* The speakers have crossovers after the connectors
* You can splice the rear speakers at the front connector, however, if you are putting the main unit in the right rear saddlebag, the rear connector is much closer.
* Splice the rear speaker wires before the connector, so you can still remove the topcase without cutting any wires.
* The speedometer wire is irrelevant, since it is used for speed/volume control on the factory radio only.
* Remember, you are going to have lots of extra wires going lots of different directions. No worries. You need the basic new wires, not the rest of the rats nest.

* I would use "Western Union" solder joints, heat shrink wrapped.
* Most importantly, plan and do the best with every step. Don't cut corners and you will love the end product.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more!

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #8 of 18 Old May 27th, 2012, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
Ok, sorry for the delay. Longhorns, chickens, ducks, cats and dogs were very demanding today!

You will no longer need the intercom or the remote radio controls, so don't worry about those wires, or connectors.
Here is what does apply to you.....

Connectors under the left side of the stingray....
Red----------------------Battery CONSTANT (memory)
Brown-------------------Ground
Purple/Black Stripe--Switched, fused (15A)

Blue/Purple Stripe----Right Front -

Yellow/Purple Stripe--Left Front -
Yellow/Red Stripe-----Left Front +

Connectors under the passenger seat
Yellow/Blue Stripe-----Left Rear +
Yellow---------------------Left Rear -

Blue/Purple--------------Right Rear +
Blue/Grey Stripe--------Right Rear -

* The speakers have crossovers after the connectors
* You can splice the rear speakers at the front connector, however, if you are putting the main unit in the right rear saddlebag, the rear connector is much closer.
* Splice the rear speaker wires before the connector, so you can still remove the topcase without cutting any wires.
* The speedometer wire is irrelevant, since it is used for speed/volume control on the factory radio only.
* Remember, you are going to have lots of extra wires going lots of different directions. No worries. You need the basic new wires, not the rest of the rats nest.

* I would use "Western Union" solder joints, heat shrink wrapped.
* Most importantly, plan and do the best with every step. Don't cut corners and you will love the end product.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more!

Thanks a bunch!

However, I think the wire coding is for 1999-2004. I have a 2005.

John sent me some 2005 schematics which happened to be in German. These did not seem to jive with the coding you provided above. In deciphering the color coding at the Radio connector (using the German information), I was able to come up with the following:

Red----------------------Battery (+) (30) CONSTANT (memory)
Brown-------------------Ground (-) (31)
Purple/RED Stripe---- (supposedly) Ignition (+) Switched **
WHT/PURPLE STRIPE---- "I-BUS"

Blue----------------------Right Front -

Yellow/RED Stripe----------Left Front +
Yellow/BROWN Stripe-----Left Front -

Yellow/BLACK Stripe-----Left Rear +
Yellow------------------------Left Rear -

Blue/Purple-----------------Right Rear +
Blue/Grey Stripe----------Right Rear -

I was able to use the Google German translator to help me determine the pinout of the main radio connector which is what I am looking to tap into.

**My only issue is with this wire. According to the German schematic, Pin #5 on the radio connector (Purple/RED Stripe) is a switched power source. However, the smaller conductor gage leads me to believe that it is a "data" type circuit, and the fact that I have no DC voltage on the conductor when I turn the IGN Key. However, #30 and #31 give me 12V constant as shown.

So, I am looking to tap into a switched ignition circuit that will power my radio. The Jenson I have does not require a constant 12V from anything. So I will cap off my #30 conductor in case I need it for something later.

Any suggestions?

Have a great weekend! I wish I was riding, but I have the steed all apart in my garage.

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

Predecessor:
post #9 of 18 Old May 27th, 2012, 10:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSMITH1

**My only issue is with this wire. According to the German schematic, Pin #5 on the radio connector (Purple/RED Stripe) is a switched power source. However, the smaller conductor gage leads me to believe that it is a "data" type circuit, and the fact that I have no DC voltage on the conductor when I turn the IGN Key. However, #30 and #31 give me 12V constant as shown.

So, I am looking to tap into a switched ignition circuit that will power my radio. The Jenson I have does not require a constant 12V from anything. So I will cap off my #30 conductor in case I need it for something later.

Any suggestions?

Have a great weekend! I wish I was riding, but I have the steed all apart in my garage.
Pin 5 is a switched power source ( more of a signal to the radio and dash) but it comes from the radio controller not the bike so with that plug undone there will be no voltage there. You may have to run a switched lead in from else where.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 18 Old Apr 5th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Question Re: Radio Wiring Diagram Needed!

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for some bad English writing from France ...

Are you sure that Pin 5 of radio plug is an output from the radio and not from the K12 ?

I'm facing a big prob today about this, and your 2012 answer.
I did use attached wiring diagram : wiring a standard 1A USB power converter (12v to 5v) to pins 15 for ground and 5 for switched power supply.
Actually this diagram shows Pin 5 is an input ("Eingang" german speaking) for the radio.
And, I'm not really sure now (after reading your post), but when I measured each pin voltage (before connecting anything !) I remember that this one was 12v (when key switched on) even without radio connected ...
My problem is that I had correct power for a few hours, but when I wanted to have a last test before reassembling everything, I had no more switched power on this pin 5.
So I do not know at this time if my prob comes from radio or from bike ...
But you can imagine in what state my K12 is at this time as I tried all day long to find where this switched power supply signal could come from (of course 7,5A fuse already verified) ...

A few post before, Cochinosucio said that this pin could be fused (15A), but I have not any idea where this 15A fuse could be if it exists (inside radio, need to dismount) ?

I have to precise that my K12LT FL is a may 2004 one, and that the single CD radio is the only sound equipment I have at this time (it is a Becker Pro 2000 Ece 65.12-7 ...). But the attached wiring diagram seemed to match my bike one's as measured voltages.
I even did try to attache AUX inputs on Intercom plug, and it worked fine (except amplified sound) until switched power failed !

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I have to forget any idea of listening music sounds on my K12

Thanks
Thierry
post #11 of 18 Old Apr 5th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Pin 5 is a switched power source ( more of a signal to the radio and dash) but it comes from the radio controller not the bike so with that plug undone there will be no voltage there. You may have to run a switched lead in from else where.
SORRY FOR DUPLICATE (new in forum usage)

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for some bad English writing from France ...

Are you sure that Pin 5 of radio plug is an output from the radio and not from the K12 ?

I'm facing a big prob today about this, and your 2012 answer.
I did use attached wiring diagram : wiring a standard 1A USB power converter (12v to 5v) to pins 15 for ground and 5 for switched power supply.
Actually this diagram shows Pin 5 is an input ("Eingang" german speaking) for the radio.
And, I'm not really sure now (after reading your post), but when I measured each pin voltage (before connecting anything !) I remember that this one was 12v (when key switched on) even without radio connected ...
My problem is that I had correct power for a few hours, but when I wanted to have a last test before reassembling everything, I had no more switched power on this pin 5.
So I do not know at this time if my prob comes from radio or from bike ...
But you can imagine in what state my K12 is at this time as I tried all day long to find where this switched power supply signal could come from (of course 7,5A fuse already verified) ...

A few post before, Cochinosucio said that this pin could be fused (15A), but I have not any idea where this 15A fuse could be if it exists (inside radio, need to dismount) ?

I have to precise that my K12LT FL is a may 2004 one, and that the single CD radio is the only sound equipment I have at this time (it is a Becker Pro 2000 Ece 65.12-7 ...). But the attached wiring diagram seemed to match my bike one's as measured voltages.
I even did try to attache AUX inputs on Intercom plug, and it worked fine (except amplified sound) until switched power failed !

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I have to forget any idea of listening music sounds on my K12

Thanks
Thierry
post #12 of 18 Old Apr 7th, 2015, 9:01 am

Exclamation Re: Radio Wiring Diagram Needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Hi all,

Having not any return to my posts in this forum since two days, I have "solved" this problem with the help of some french fellows.
You can find the solution here (you will have to translate from french) :
[résolu] K12LT 2004 - Problème signal +12v "ignit" radio CD

So I am now looking for a radio controller (keyboard) without lcd display and good working of course !
Thanks !

Regards,
Thierry
post #13 of 18 Old Apr 7th, 2015, 8:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Merci Thierry for your translation of my German document. I will use it I am sure.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #14 of 18 Old Apr 8th, 2015, 7:04 am

Bonjour John !

It is not exactly a French translation of your German document. Yours is fine by itself whith the help of a translator !

But, as I did not find any information anywhere else, my post is an explanation of power signals coming from / going to bike on the 6 pins plug which is on the left (the 3rd one from left side) outside the "Tupperware" box including radio and it's keyboard (see picture attached) !

Anyway, does anyone know where I could find a correct keyboard electronic card WITHOUT lcd display to replace my "faulty" one ?

My post also explains on which pin a +12V signal should be connected to be correctly protected by the 7,5A (15A for some bikes) fuse !

Thierry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ConnecteursGaucheRadio.jpg
Views:	4729
Size:	731.5 KB
ID:	77866  
post #15 of 18 Old Apr 8th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I think this is the third plug. The middle one is the front speakers the one on the left is handle bar controls. So this one makes sense. The rear controls and rear speakers are in the barrel connector.

My electronic diagram is hard to display as a picture since you have to zoom in to red wire colors. Then you cannot see it all in one picture. Maybe these will help you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Third Plug.PNG
Views:	13379
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	78002   Click image for larger version

Name:	More third plug.PNG
Views:	27296
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	78010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire colors1.PNG
Views:	1686
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	78018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire colors2.PNG
Views:	1785
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	78026  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 18 Old May 24th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Garage

Hi, Did you have a chance to get the radio schematic you were asking, I tried to help a member to fix is broken radio.
Thanks
post #17 of 18 Old May 24th, 2016, 5:16 pm

I think I have them, but they're in German. Also one or two pages may be too small to convey clearly by fax (my only way).

Also have a file on installing an aftermarket radio hooked to the stock handlebar controls.

Advise a fax number if you'd like me to send.

UrbanHermit
post #18 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 2:11 pm

So does pin 5 work for turning the radio on? Or do you have to run a new wire to the ignition?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in