Radio repair found - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 Old May 24th, 2012, 11:23 am Thread Starter

Radio repair found

Hi this is my first post. I've found a guy who can repair our radio's. I just got mine back and it works great! He lives in London and repairs BMW radios. It costs about $200 for the repair including shipping both ways. What he does is replace the 20 watt amps with 40 watt amps and adds a big heat sink for them. According to him the small heat sink is the cause of all the failures. My radio only played the front right channel and the front left for about 10 seconds.
Mine was the first motorcycle radio repair for him, so with a lot of chat back and forth we got it done. It took about 4 weeks to get it done, mostly in transit.
The only draw back is he has to take the cd player out of the radio to fit the new amps in. I was ok with that and i can still use the 6 disk. (which i just discovered doesn't work , just bought the bike about 2 months ago. Any one have a changer they don't need? )

This is his e-mail if anyone is interested: [email protected]

Randy
radar41 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old May 24th, 2012, 11:53 am

Re: Radio repair found

Welcome aboard! What year is your bike? Does this problem affect all years of LT models? Thanks.

Kimo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'05 K1200LT Ocean Blue IBA # 49426

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #3 of 114 Old May 24th, 2012, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

It's a 2003. I'm not sure if it happens to all radios, but there have been a lot of posts about radio problems. Mostly loosing one or more speakers.

post #4 of 114 Old May 24th, 2012, 6:21 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I,m thinking you are talking about London Ontario Canada.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 114 Old May 24th, 2012, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

No london england
post #6 of 114 Old May 24th, 2012, 9:47 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybuck
No london england
I'm from Ann Arbor & was hoping it was closer.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 114 Old May 25th, 2012, 7:51 am

Randy, I have a player I'm not using. It didn't have the magazine with it--so, I don't even know if it works. I removed it as soon as I bought the 99. I will send it if you want it. It's gathering dust in a cupboard right now. You can have it for FREE...just pay shipping...(the actual cost of shipping...not like on ebay where they gouge you.)

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #8 of 114 Old May 25th, 2012, 11:35 am

When my 6 disk stopped working I opened its little door and gave it a good shot of compressed air. Have done this more than once and I get it back everytime.
post #9 of 114 Old May 25th, 2012, 10:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thank you Randy. I have a 2003LT with similar problems and have contacted this repair guy.

Quote:
Hi this is my first post. I've found a guy who can repair our radio's. I just got mine back and it works great! He lives in London and repairs BMW radios. It costs about $200 for the repair including shipping both ways. What he does is replace the 20 watt amps with 40 watt amps and adds a big heat sink for them. According to him the small heat sink is the cause of all the failures. My radio only played the front right channel and the front left for about 10 seconds.
Mine was the first motorcycle radio repair for him, so with a lot of chat back and forth we got it done. It took about 4 weeks to get it done, mostly in transit.
The only draw back is he has to take the cd player out of the radio to fit the new amps in. I was ok with that and i can still use the 6 disk. (which i just discovered doesn't work , just bought the bike about 2 months ago. Any one have a changer they don't need? )

This is his e-mail if anyone is interested: [email protected]

Randy

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932
post #10 of 114 Old May 26th, 2012, 7:14 am Thread Starter

Dave I'm from Chelsea, just 6 miles away.
post #11 of 114 Old May 26th, 2012, 10:00 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Dave I'm from Chelsea, just 6 miles away.
Chelsea is closer to 20 miles . I live in North Carolina now but my home town is Ann Arbor. I'll be back for my 40 year high school reunion at the end of September.

I have a RTE planned for sept.22nd leaving the Zukey Lake tavern in Pinckney and riding to Frankenmuth for lunch. I'll post it in the Mid West section this August

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Last edited by saddleman; May 26th, 2012 at 12:17 pm.
post #12 of 114 Old May 26th, 2012, 1:05 pm

I'm from Holland and the info on the radio repair is good. I have a used radio I am going to put in and see if it works. If not that will be an option for repair.

I would also be interested in a RTE as well.

Marty
post #13 of 114 Old May 26th, 2012, 1:37 pm

Um.... There are several places in the US that can more than adequately do repairs, it's been a long time since I had mine fixed (8+ years ago?) by an outift in San Diego. My issue - and one that is VERY common - is CD's skipping. I think it cost about $100.00. No shipping to England, no customs forms, etc.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 114 Old May 27th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Thank you Randy for the kind comments. I am the repair guy he is referring to. If anyone has any questions regarding their radio module, i am here to answer them.
Currently working on a new toy for the unit. I will post more about that later.

Randy didn't mention, that i also did an auxiliary input for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Um.... There are several places in the US that can more than adequately do repairs, it's been a long time since I had mine fixed (8+ years ago?) by an outift in San Diego. My issue - and one that is VERY common - is CD's skipping. I think it cost about $100.00. No shipping to England, no customs forms, etc.
A CD skipping has nothing to do with the amps failing and causing 1 or more channels to fail. A cd skipping is to do with the loader mechanism inside. Laser replacement or fixing the rubber bushes would probaby fix that. The whole loader mechanism can be bought from about $80.

I searched all the car bmw forums in the states and non them refer to anyone being able to repair these units over there.
post #15 of 114 Old May 27th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baris
I searched all the car bmw forums in the states and non them refer to anyone being able to repair these units over there.
While I'm sure your are very good at what you do and provide excellent advice and service - there are probably at least one hundred independent shops in the US that are MORE than capable of repairing either the "BMW" radio or cd changer. It's not rocket science. To start with, here's 2:

BMW Stereo and CD Changer Repair

bmw navigation radio cd changer repair

I simply think it's kind of silly to send it to England and encounter long shipping delays, high shipping expenses and the hassle of having to physically go to one of our Post Offices to ship it, not to mention the time filling out forms and hoping it doesn't get tripped up held in customs or Homeland Security. In my business we frequently ship all over the world and it is SUCH a pain in the butt we recently starting charging a $35.00 paperwork surcharge in order to compensate us for the extra time involved.

I had my 2001 BMW LT motorcycle 6 disc cd changer fixed, and my 1987 BMW 530i car radio fixed by these guys - they did an excellent job and the quotes were right on the money - they obviously knew what bugs were common to the units in advance. I chose them since they are one day away from me by ground UPS (about $10.00 shipping each way) and located in the car and motorcycle capital of the world - California:

BMW Radio Repair Questions

I've actually got a gremlin with my 2002 Mercedes radio that will probably be going to them - as soon as I have the time to pull it from the dash...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 114 Old May 28th, 2012, 3:00 am

None of the links you have listed, do what i specialize in. None of the descriptions refer to faulty channels or any of the other faults that occur on these units.

Try searching for repairs on bm53 units. In the UK and Europe they are called bm54. These are the most popular units as they are found in X5s, E46s and E39s. The bike version that was sent to me by Randy is the same unit except it has a cd player.
post #17 of 114 Old May 28th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
When my 6 disk stopped working I opened its little door and gave it a good shot of compressed air. Have done this more than once and I get it back everytime.
So, not sure why that would work, but I have an 01 and the CD changer stoped working last week durning a ride. I can still here the mechinisim working inside, and it runs through the CD check but always comes back with no CDs found.

I will fire up the compressor and give this a try....

Thanks,

Rich P.

Rich P.

2001 Champagne

Rhinebeck, NY
post #18 of 114 Old May 28th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Gee anybody near Seattle doing repairs???

Later Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
While I'm sure your are very good at what you do and provide excellent advice and service - there are probably at least one hundred independent shops in the US that are MORE than capable of repairing either the "BMW" radio or cd changer. It's not rocket science. To start with, here's 2:

BMW Stereo and CD Changer Repair

bmw navigation radio cd changer repair

I simply think it's kind of silly to send it to England and encounter long shipping delays, high shipping expenses and the hassle of having to physically go to one of our Post Offices to ship it, not to mention the time filling out forms and hoping it doesn't get tripped up held in customs or Homeland Security. In my business we frequently ship all over the world and it is SUCH a pain in the butt we recently starting charging a $35.00 paperwork surcharge in order to compensate us for the extra time involved.

I had my 2001 BMW LT motorcycle 6 disc cd changer fixed, and my 1987 BMW 530i car radio fixed by these guys - they did an excellent job and the quotes were right on the money - they obviously knew what bugs were common to the units in advance. I chose them since they are one day away from me by ground UPS (about $10.00 shipping each way) and located in the car and motorcycle capital of the world - California:

BMW Radio Repair Questions

I've actually got a gremlin with my 2002 Mercedes radio that will probably be going to them - as soon as I have the time to pull it from the dash...
post #19 of 114 Old May 29th, 2012, 3:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur12572
So, not sure why that would work, but I have an 01 and the CD changer stoped working last week durning a ride. I can still here the mechinisim working inside, and it runs through the CD check but always comes back with no CDs found.

I will fire up the compressor and give this a try....

Thanks,

Rich P.
Laser is faulty, if it says no cd. You could try one of them laser cleaners on a cd.
post #20 of 114 Old May 29th, 2012, 9:01 am Thread Starter

WOW
When I posted this fix it was just meant to be a helpful solution. You can either use it or not. I did research a long time before finding Baris for the repair. All I could find in the states were companys and people that would either change the circuit board for $400 or replace the radio for $800. The trouble with that is you still have the weak amps and eventually the would go bad again.
Baris did a great job and now I have a better radio for half the cost of a new circuit board. Oh yes first class mail cost $21 at the post office and the form to fill out took all of 2 minutes to complete, so it really is no big deal at all.
If anyone can find another person that can make this repair then go for it!!!!! This post was just to offer help to anyone interested.
post #21 of 114 Old May 30th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Garage

Quote:
WOW
When I posted this fix it was just meant to be a helpful solution. You can either use it or not. I did research a long time before finding Baris for the repair. All I could find in the states were companys and people that would either change the circuit board for $400 or replace the radio for $800. The trouble with that is you still have the weak amps and eventually the would go bad again.
Baris did a great job and now I have a better radio for half the cost of a new circuit board. Oh yes first class mail cost $21 at the post office and the form to fill out took all of 2 minutes to complete, so it really is no big deal at all.
If anyone can find another person that can make this repair then go for it!!!!! This post was just to offer help to anyone interested.
Thanks for the information. First I've heard about anyone other than Becker, repairing these radio's.

Marvin
2003 K1200 LTC
1967 Honda SS125
1964 Honda 90
2008 R1200RT.. Sold
post #22 of 114 Old May 30th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Quote:
WOW
Great info! Thanks for sharing. I bought my '03 LT last year, with the radio not working. The dealership said it was a short in the radio unit. I recently bought a radio unit and will see tomorrow if it was a short or not! Otherwise, back to square one!

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #23 of 114 Old May 31st, 2012, 7:18 am

I'm with RandyBuck on this one. WOW! is right. A general information post about good service and the person offering the service gets his head handed to him.

A little more courtesy, respect for a service well done AND LESS CAFEINE may be in order.
CaliDefector and Paddy4518 like this.
post #24 of 114 Old May 31st, 2012, 11:47 am

Hey, even though I'm not in need of Baris radio repair at this time, I appreciate the info because I or some other member may need it down the road.

Geeesh, to get on here and slam a couple of members for posting helpful info, is nuts.
Thanks Randy for posting the info and Baris for being a standup guy under fire.
For the little I know about electronics, this sounds like a great fix for a something under- engineered.
Paddy4518 likes this.

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #25 of 114 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 1:46 pm

It did not strike me that anyone was being harsh with Baris or Randy, the OP. One member merely shared his disdain for the process of shipping overseas and suggesting some other possibilities a little closer to home. Let's face it, it is usually easier to ship CONUS than overseas, and generally a lot quicker, too.

While I would consider Baris for my radio repairs based on the actual experiences shared here, should I ever encounter such problems, I would also consider more local sources due to time and exchange rate factors.

Nobody likes the feeling of having their thread 'hijacked' but consider this...

While it may seem a distraction right now to have other repair sources added to this thread, one day in the near future when one searches for radio repair and finds multiple sources listed in one thread, I suspect they will appreciate the extra information. I know I would.

Just saying'

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #26 of 114 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 4:47 am

Many thanks for the info.

From the begining the only repair option I've seen was Becker. For some reason I never wondered why the boards could not be fixed?

Now, with the key words, model numbers, I find mucho information.

It even appears that if one is not afraid of SMC. one could do the mods and get their unit working again?!

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #27 of 114 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 6:54 am

Tony might be right, but Ron should speak for himself, as he's shown he's quite capable of doing.

It does sound like there might be the ole comparing apples and oranges, once Baris in jolly only London, England provided some specific information.

I am curious if these larger amps mean more volume? Also, what classification are these amplifiers, or is that n/a?
Also, does Baris have any idea if the same basic repair/upgrade would require doing away with the cassette deck on such a model? Probably wouldn't matter as I mainly use the cassette deck to utilize one of those input adapters shaped like a cassette, and Baris mentions he can add an input socket. Sounds pretty neat to me, and considering all involved, doesn't seem to badly priced, especially considering the lengths and prices this crowd has been willing to deal with.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #28 of 114 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 9:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The surface mount stuff is easy it's the Ball Grid Array type of output chip that is impossible to replace with out $$$$$ equipment. Even Becker doesn't do it, they just replace the board.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #29 of 114 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 6:15 am

It would be great to find someone that could repair these in your own country, however, all the links listed for repair places do not repair these units.

If you have a look at them, its mainly simple stuff like, fixing tape players, cd players and very old units.

Here is an example of lack of knowledge, from one of these sites. It quotes

Quote:
If you have Blank screen with or without lines and audio cuts out after 3 minutes, then your navigation unit in your trunk is defetive.
It is referring to the navigation drives in the bmw cars. Which consists of a screen, that acts like a dummy, powered by navigation unit and radio module. So saying that the navi unit is at fault for the sound is incredibly stupid. Never heard such nonsense before. If they dont even know where the sound comes from, then they are obviously clueless. And it does give you a quote for a price on a whole new board replacement, which is what they probably do.

Most of the repair companies probably outsource the repairs, and since becker has stopped providing support for these units, i doubt they can help anyone any more.

That is just my view, of what I have read from this thread and the links provided.

If you do send your unit to these companies, make sure its a no repair no cost policy.

I have just finished developing a smaller kit, which will let you keep the cd player. You can still have the AUX in option. I have also finished, developing a bluetooth feature, which lets you stream music directly from your phone.
post #30 of 114 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 7:20 am
Enjoy The Ride

Will the speed sensor volume still work ?.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #31 of 114 Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 8:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have just finished developing a smaller kit, which will let you keep the cd player. You can still have the AUX in option. I have also finished, developing a bluetooth feature, which lets you stream music directly from your phone.
Now this is getting very interesting, is the bluetooth feature capable of transmitting also? I am guessing that you tap into the pre-amp input for your bluetooth feature, how do you provide a selection for use of this feature? Now that I think about it if you tap into the input of the pre-amp then a transmitting bluetooth would not help, but if it was the output of the pre-amp that might work.

I have a bluetooth headset and have thought it would be nice to be able to use it with the radio. I have modified a cheap GPS with an output jack that I attach a bluetooth dongle too and am able to get GPS voice instructions. I have been thinking of doing a simular thing with the radio.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:44 am.
post #32 of 114 Old Jul 5th, 2012, 5:53 am

Quote:
Will the speed sensor volume still work ?.
Everything will work as usual, but with better sound quality.

Quote:
Now this is getting very interesting, is the bluetooth feature capable of transmitting also?
Transmitting what?

Quote:
I am guessing that you tap into the pre-amp input for your bluetooth feature, how do you provide a selection for use of this feature? Now that I think about it if you tap into the input of the pre-amp then a transmitting bluetooth would not help, but if it was the output of the pre-amp that might work.
Nope

Quote:
I have a bluetooth headset and have thought it would be nice to be able to use it with the radio. I have modified a cheap GPS with an output jack that I attach a bluetooth dongle too and am able to get GPS voice instructions. I have been thinking of doing a simular thing with the radio.
Might work.

2001 M5

2003 M3

post #33 of 114 Old Jul 5th, 2012, 8:30 am

I had communicated with the repair shop in England and he said he only works on the radios with the "flat" pins in the back.

I believe, and I will know for sure in a week or so if I have flat pins or round pins.

I ordered an aftermarket "digital" cd player that plays MP3.

I posted pictures in this Tread and several people told me that the LT has the round pin Business Radio/CD and not the flat pin.

Maybe I misunderstood what the repair shop in England wrote, but he said

"I do the repair on flat pin radios. Not this one, sorry. "

SO some clarification would be in order before we start shipping our ROUND pin units to England and they cannot be repaired.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #34 of 114 Old Jul 5th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Who was it that you contacted in the UK? Most of them buy our kits off us, and do normal repairs for 1 particular unit.

I have just done a round pin version, for a customer in the US.

There are flat and round pin versions, and both can be worked on. However, the one you have pictured is an older version than the normal flat and round pin versions. I think, but you can confirm, is the unit made by Phillips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
I had communicated with the repair shop in England and he said he only works on the radios with the "flat" pins in the back.

I believe, and I will know for sure in a week or so if I have flat pins or round pins.

I ordered an aftermarket "digital" cd player that plays MP3.

I posted pictures in this Tread and several people told me that the LT has the round pin Business Radio/CD and not the flat pin.

Maybe I misunderstood what the repair shop in England wrote, but he said

"I do the repair on flat pin radios. Not this one, sorry. "

SO some clarification would be in order before we start shipping our ROUND pin units to England and they cannot be repaired.

2001 M5

2003 M3

post #35 of 114 Old Jul 5th, 2012, 5:30 pm

Garage

I contacted Baris directly and he seems like a great guy. Exchange rate sucks right now at $1.55US to a British pound but I plan on sending my radio over to be fixed this winter. Need my tunes during the cycling season here in WI. Will be upgrading my speakers to 100W Polk Audio as well since I have one blown out speaker in the front. Should make for a nice sounding system with a 40W amp so my wife can hear on the back.

I was thinking about Bluetooth but I already have my ScalaRider headset synced BT to my phone so it wouldn't work for me.
post #36 of 114 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 4:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas
I contacted Baris directly and he seems like a great guy. Exchange rate sucks right now at $1.55US to a British pound but I plan on sending my radio over to be fixed this winter. Need my tunes during the cycling season here in WI. Will be upgrading my speakers to 100W Polk Audio as well since I have one blown out speaker in the front. Should make for a nice sounding system with a 40W amp so my wife can hear on the back.

I was thinking about Bluetooth but I already have my ScalaRider headset synced BT to my phone so it wouldn't work for me.
The bluetooth I install into the units, uses a media frequency, so if you have your phone already synced with a hands free kit, then it will not effect it. As long as your phone supports multiple bluetooth connections.

2001 M5

2003 M3

post #37 of 114 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 5:07 am

Just an update, as I have just finished an ipod/iphone connection to the unit, that will play music and charge your device. A bit like a dock.

2001 M5

2003 M3

post #38 of 114 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:09 am

I have a question for you sir.

I have a 2005 LT with the single disc cd player.

everything is working, but I HATE local music, and cd's are old tech.

I just want a way to hook my iPhone or any other MP3 player to the bike, and get the music out of the stock speakers.

Any advise? I do NOT have the cd changer, nor the hookup in the side case.

Many thanks,

Paul
post #39 of 114 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:17 am

I have an issue with my radio system as well. However, right now I am trying to figure out how to post on the site. HELP!!! Anyone.......
post #40 of 114 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld49
I have an issue with my radio system as well. However, right now I am trying to figure out how to post on the site. HELP!!! Anyone.......

You just posted... See above..

If you want to create a NEW thread specific to your problem/issue

Click into the forum that you want the post created and the button that says NEW THREAD will create a new thread that you can put a subject and content that you want posted.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/newthrea...newthread&f=11 for posting a new thread into the K1200LT forum

post #41 of 114 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:52 am

SO I confirmed that my '09 has the round pins and NOT the flat ones.

SO a clarification from Baris would be appreciated as his email to me stated that he does not do repairs on the round pin business radio system, only the flat pin and my '09 for sure has round pins..

post #42 of 114 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Chelsea is closer to 20 miles . I live in North Carolina now but my home town is Ann Arbor. I'll be back for my 40 year high school reunion at the end of September.

I have a RTE planned for sept.22nd leaving the Zukey Lake tavern in Pinckney and riding to Frankenmuth for lunch. I'll post it in the Mid West section this August
Dave,
I just purchased one of your 30mm sockets. I graduated from Williamston, Mi. H.S. in 59, and lived in Frankenmuth for a short time. Enjoy the chicken.
Dave (lemdav)
post #43 of 114 Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 4:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
SO I confirmed that my '09 has the round pins and NOT the flat ones.

SO a clarification from Baris would be appreciated as his email to me stated that he does not do repairs on the round pin business radio system, only the flat pin and my '09 for sure has round pins..
Did I? I think you are confusing it with an even earlier round pin unit. The flat pin has a round pin version, which is perfectly repairable.

2001 M5

2003 M3

post #44 of 114 Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 4:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakba
I have a question for you sir.

I have a 2005 LT with the single disc cd player.

everything is working, but I HATE local music, and cd's are old tech.

I just want a way to hook my iPhone or any other MP3 player to the bike, and get the music out of the stock speakers.

Any advise? I do NOT have the cd changer, nor the hookup in the side case.

Many thanks,

Paul
Well its possible to hook up a 3.5mm jack to the system to plug into any phone, or the iphone cable which charges as well.

However, Aux in is not very loud, because there is no extra controls like the car version, where you can press 1-6 buttons to increase the volume. The default setting is on volume 1, which is the lowest

I have just finished emulating the LT units, so the next one i get, I can play around with it.

Maybe a better way would be an mp3 replacement for the cd changer, rather than AUX.

2001 M5

2003 M3

post #45 of 114 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Hello Baris,
I am new to the forum and also to the LT. I was wondering if you can repair the display as well or if it can be repaired at all? Also, is it possible to install a jack for MP3/ipod input?
I have been lurking in the forum for a couple of weeks and am very impressed with the depth of knowledge and great discussions I have found.
Regards to all,
Bill aka rktman

Quote:
Thank you Randy for the kind comments. I am the repair guy he is referring to. If anyone has any questions regarding their radio module, i am here to answer them.
Currently working on a new toy for the unit. I will post more about that later.

Randy didn't mention, that i also did an auxiliary input for him.

A CD skipping has nothing to do with the amps failing and causing 1 or more channels to fail. A cd skipping is to do with the loader mechanism inside. Laser replacement or fixing the rubber bushes would probaby fix that. The whole loader mechanism can be bought from about $80.

post #46 of 114 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rktman
Hello Baris,
I am new to the forum and also to the LT. I was wondering if you can repair the display as well or if it can be repaired at all? Also, is it possible to install a jack for MP3/ipod input?
I have been lurking in the forum for a couple of weeks and am very impressed with the depth of knowledge and great discussions I have found.
Regards to all,
Bill aka rktman

rktman,

The LT AUX jack is worthless. The volume output is OK for idle, but at speed the volume is a pittance for what you need or what you get from the FM radio.

What is wrong with the display.

And what year bike?

Paul

post #47 of 114 Old Aug 29th, 2012, 2:33 am

Hi Baris,

Good to know there's someone over here who can fix these radios. I've had a couple go bad on me (I'm on my tenth LT!)
My current bike has no problems, but I'll know who to call on should they occur.

Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #48 of 114 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Hey I'm about to send my radio to Baris! I'm not an expert on mechanics but how do I get the unit out? I've the 05 Lt. Any Advise? Maybe pictures? Thanks guys
post #49 of 114 Old Sep 9th, 2012, 7:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlanderika
Hey I'm about to send my radio to Baris! I'm not an expert on mechanics but how do I get the unit out? I've the 05 Lt. Any Advise? Maybe pictures? Thanks guys
Click here for a start in removing tupperware. I think you'll be able to adapt the differences between early model LTs and your year model. Online help here will be ready to assist you if you hit a roadblock. Good luck.
post #50 of 114 Old Sep 9th, 2012, 8:52 am

Once you get the two sides off, remove the stingray and flip it over. You will see a number of hex socket screws holding the bottom lid of the radio compartment in place.

You can also take a cue from the Millionaire television game show and phone a friend. I suspect there is a helpful member not far from you. Perhaps an invite and the offer of a cold beverage will entice someone to swing by and help you with the tupperware your first time through. It is what we do...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in