oil change w/o lift table - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Garage
oil change w/o lift table

Can I accomplish an oil change without a lift.
I know it has been done but my better question is how do I approach it. Should I sit with my legs under the bike safe or stupid or should I lay on side of bike and attack it that way. I have done changes before on a Kaw and GWing but they only involved pulling the drain plug. I have a print out of directions and pictures but I guess I am looking for some assurance a confidence builder. OK the doors are wide open and thanks.
ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 2:57 pm

Re: oil change w/o lift table

I do all my LT oil changes without the lift, and I do have one. I will not try to put the LT on the lift by myself. A good size piece of cardboard helps to keep the garage floor (and me) clean. Lots of up and down, on the knees, on the back, on the sides. Hard on a 63 year old man but not bad.
post #3 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 3:04 pm

Don't have a lift yet and the concrete gets cold when you're on it for a while. I don't understand putting the leg(s) under the bike I don't see how that helps you get to the filter, you still have to lay down or at least I do.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 3:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Best way to attack is to remove two of the three bolts on the filter cover, then position the drain pan under it and loosen the third. Be ready as the old hot oil will come out pretty fast. then once it is done you can remove the drain plug and get that last 2 oz out. I just lay on the side and work from there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 3:42 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I get Pet training Pads at Walmart. They look like a flat square diaper. I put them under the drain pain to "Soak Up" any spilt oil.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 4:01 pm

I have garage carpeting from Home Depot Click HERE

It covers the garage. When I do an oil change, I use either the pet pads or news paper, etc to cover when the oil might splatter and a very large pan to catch the oil.

The carpet keeps me off the cement floor.

I have done 2 dozen oil changes with no lift and the carpet is still fresh and clean...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #7 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 4:25 pm

Haven't used a lift and have probably done 10-15 or so fluid changes. I keep several large sections of carpet and an old boat cushion around and just lay on them beside the bike. Newspaper does a good job of catching spills. A lift would be nice........

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
I do all my LT oil changes without the lift, and I do have one. I will not try to put the LT on the lift by myself. A good size piece of cardboard helps to keep the garage floor (and me) clean. Lots of up and down, on the knees, on the back, on the sides. Hard on a 63 year old man but not bad.
OK this is what I am looking for soon to be 61. And last year instead of throwing out the old box spring I stripped it down and saved the foam and have lots of cardboard. I have large size drain basin I plan to pick up a tork wrench from HF. I already have my filters.

Don't have a lift yet and the concrete gets cold when you're on it for a while. I don't understand putting the leg(s) under the bike I don't see how that helps you get to the filter, you still have to lay down or at least I do.

You are right but that's was my experience from the other two bikes

Best way to attack is to remove two of the three bolts on the filter cover, then position the drain pan under it and loosen the third. Be ready as the old hot oil will come out pretty fast. then once it is done you can remove the drain plug and get that last 2 oz out. I just lay on the side and work from there.

I am really glad you jumped in the experience is the most beneficial tool I think I need. and speaking of tools what are the wrench sizes I need and I almost forgot about the wrench filter from past posts I understand a tight fit. Thanks everyone so far. This will be my 1st on the LT.
ride safe
post #9 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 6:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Just like John said. It's easy and if I - a 73 yr old can do it with ease, so can you.
post #10 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 6:30 pm

On getting the most old oil out of the crankcase, push down on the top case to tilt the bike back and more oil will run out, then I get some assistance and while holding the front brake firmly on we tilt the bike left and right. Even more oil runs from the pan that way. Probably a bit podantic on this, but the more oil out the better IMO. Just make sure your oil catch container is wide enough to allow for the drain changing position as the bike is tilted.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #11 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 6:30 pm

Get the wrench and Filter from beemer bone yard and they will send you what you need.

Get the oil from anyplace.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #12 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 7:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm only 52, a fair bit younger than you old farts (LOL), but I do as others have said. I have a piece of triple layer cardboard and I just lay that beside the bike and lay on it and do the job. The only difference between me and many others is that I prefer to remove the drain plug as well as the filter cover. Just the engineer in me who figures BMW spent the money for a drain plug for a reason.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
Just like John said. It's easy and if I - a 73 yr old can do it with ease, so can you.
Thanks my neighbor to the north confidence booster.
Yes I am reading each and every post and gaining more and more insight of how I am going about my first attempt on messing with the lady. I guess once I break the ice I won't sound so much like a wouse. I certainly read and listen to all on this forum long before time for bike surgery. Then I even review something just before I do it. Thanks to all who responded to my thread.
ride safe
post #14 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 9:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You can look at Mark's article here on an 05 oil change for an idea of what it will look like. Oil Change 101

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:30 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
You can look at Mark's article here on an 05 oil change for an idea of what it will look like. Oil Change 101
These are the exact instructions I followed last month when I did my first oil change on the LT (first ever on a bike!)... only difference being I dropped the whole EHCS unit so I could top it up while I was getting my hands dirty anyway.
Bike on centrestand, old bedspread on the concrete, lay at the RH side of the bike... and go for it. Just get your hand out of the way real quick once you drop that last bolt... I wound up fishing for it in the hot oil tray.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 26 Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Thanks very much John.
When I first joined the forum a year ago I was trying to find out where my oil filter was (hidden in the belly of the beast) and I ran across this article by Mark. At that point I made a print out and have read over it a couple times even though I was still attached to the dealer for everything. I want to ween myself with this my first move. So bear with me. Even the younger bucks are showing me it can be done. I also remember the specs. as I look over the article. I will have a lot to say after the job.
ride safe
post #17 of 26 Old May 24th, 2012, 12:11 am

Orrr come on, aren't ya gunna ask us all which oil is the best to use, and how long to leave it in there ?

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #18 of 26 Old May 24th, 2012, 6:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I've found that loosening up the front to bolts a bit more than 2 turns, but less than removing them, you can regulate the flow much more precisely with the loosening of the third bolt. My problem with doing anything is not taking it slow and thinking of the next step to be made. So, try to enjoy each step and I'm sure it will work out well for you. A big confidence boost when it's all said and done.
Will you be doing all fluids? I tend to take it all on at the same time. Once a year, but I don't put the mileage on where I need to do it more often since I'm using synthetic fluids.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #19 of 26 Old May 24th, 2012, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
Orrr come on, aren't ya gunna ask us all which oil is the best to use, and how long to leave it in there ?
No need for that.
I have oil in my back yard. I was digging the ground one day to do some gardening and found a bone and I never saw the bone before and knew it did not belong to me so I figured it must belong to a Dinosaur and the rest is history
Really I am looking for Castrol 20w50 if I could find it. Again this is my first go round so I want to stick close to the manual.
ride safe
post #20 of 26 Old May 24th, 2012, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Will you be doing all fluids? I tend to take it all on at the same time. Once a year, but I don't put the mileage on where I need to do it more often since I'm using synthetic fluids.

NO.
Only the oil change one step at a time. If I end the job with a smile then mission accomplished. Plus I really want to stick with the oil change schedule so I could go on another trip I just passed 15000.
ride safe
post #21 of 26 Old May 24th, 2012, 3:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith

NO.
Only the oil change one step at a time. If I end the job with a smile then mission accomplished. Plus I really want to stick with the oil change schedule so I could go on another trip I just passed 15000.
ride safe
She's not even broken in yet! Good on ya to get an oil change under your belt. Once you get it, you're hooked!

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #22 of 26 Old May 24th, 2012, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I'm still poking around all these oil related threads.
OK so I am a pain in the butt. I am trying to make a list of the right tools just the necessities and correct sizes.
Tork wrench drive handle 3/8 or 1/2 which preferred??
Hex size on skid plate and filter removal cover ??
And I already plan a trip to AutoZone ( on Dick's advice last year) for the filter wrench. Since I have two BMW filters that I have been sitting on a year now I will take one with for fitting. I want everything laying next to me when I take the plunge.

She's not even broken in yet! Good on ya to get an oil change under your belt. Once you get it, you're hooked!

Dealer did all the schedule ones before and cars and other bikes I have done but this lady makes me nervous like a 1st date if you know what I mean
ride safe
post #23 of 26 Old May 24th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Tork wrench drive handle 3/8 or 1/2 which preferred??
Won't matter, but usually the 1/2 inch is for BIG bolts and higher torque,not the ones you will encounter doing oil change.
Quote:
Hex size on skid plate and filter removal cover ??
Those are 5 mm same as the skid plate.
No need to be nervous, it's only oil.

HTH, have fun.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #24 of 26 Old May 24th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Talking Re: oil change w/o lift table

I use a folded moving blanket and lie on the side.
Note to self: bring alarm clock to the garage... in case you need to go somewhere that afternoon!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #25 of 26 Old May 24th, 2012, 10:17 pm

This has been an interesting read. First couple of times it was on the floor (concrete), and I hobbled around like Grandpa Walton for a couple of days. Santa (my wife) had mercy for me, and I got a HF lift for Christmas that year. The lift is far better. Plus you can check out other stuff & clean up while everything is up there where you can see it. JM2C

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #26 of 26 Old May 25th, 2012, 10:03 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just remember the big o-ring in the cover plate is what seals the oil in. Don't overdo the torque on the 5mm bolts. Run them up finger tight and then just give them a light snug. It is only 10Nm (88.4 inch pounds) and they will shear at 13 Nm.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in