ABS repair - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:05 pm Thread Starter
Sit

ABS repair

In case you missed it on the MOA forum, it looks like Module Masters has come up with a way/parts/the ability to fix BMW ABS pumps.

Thread here:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...465#post782465

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 3:34 pm

Re: ABS repair

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this on the old LT modules found in '99, '00 bikes (ABS II ???). I thought I saw a thread some months back where someone had stated they were sending theirs in but couldn't find it in the search.

I am contemplating this every time I get on and watch those two red lights blink back and forth. As quickly as I make decisions when it comes to money expenditures you could see me moving on this sometime in the next 3 to 5 years
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 7:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Lee will chime in on how they "repair" the older ABS units. If you read all of the post on the other forum you will see they have no source for parts and want us to send them all our "old" ones to cannabilize.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 9:46 pm

Yes John, obviously a contractural agreement between FTE and BMW. This happens a lot, the OEM of the part doesn't sell direct to consumers. Same goes for Magura in respect to lever perches and our clutch slaves (as an example). As we say in Australia, "Bugger".

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 10:16 pm

I did see that they were looking for units to cannibalize but I had no way of knowing how many if any they managed to scrape up. Not really willing to invest the money for a new one, and not sure I would be willing to gamble on a used one from flea-bay.

If I were to start looking for a used one I believe the one on my '00 LT it is the same unit that is on my '00 R1200c (at least it looks the same), can anyone confirm or correct? I assume that BMW used the same part on virtually every bike they built in 2000, but I would hate to make a mistake and get stuck with a useless part.
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2012, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
Yes John, obviously a contractural agreement between FTE and BMW. This happens a lot, the OEM of the part doesn't sell direct to consumers. Same goes for Magura in respect to lever perches and our clutch slaves (as an example). As we say in Australia, "Bugger".
Bugger that indeed!

If you need a lever perch, I believe I have a spare hand unit with lever, perch, reservoir, etc intact. If you need it, I will check t see if left, right, or both.

I may be wrong, but does not Beemer Boneyard sells the Magura clutch slaves, new?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Thanks Tony, but I don't need a perch, just using that as an example. As for BBY selling the Magura clutch slave, that's correct (and a good price), but again, I make the point that the Magura part cannot be bought from Magura, only from an outlet as a BMW spare part.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Hello everybody.

This is Gavin, President of ModuleMaster with status of our motorcycle ABS rebuilds for BMW. ABS system 1 is still under R+D and pending. ABS II (2nd generation) units are being rebuilt with nearly 80% success and available now. New ABS II elastomeric parts (custom made o-rings and improved seals) will arrive into inventory; 95%+ rebuild success is expected. For those with integral ABS III, critical mechanical parts are failing from metal on metal corrosion, surface hardening of impeller housing failure, control board (CPU) failure, armature burnout and pressure sensor fault. This halts most of the iABS III repairs until all new mechanical, electronic and elastomeric components are available from our parts fabricator. Our improved pressure sensors will become standard with the iABS III rebuilds. Replacement components will be equal or superior to original. Despite many new components, rebuild will remain affordable and guarantee much longer service life than OEM. Anticipate integral ABS III rebuilds in about 2-3 months. Test station is near completion as well. System 4 we are at 60%. The lucky can be restored100%, but know your fault codes before calling Tyler. Pump motor components for ABS 4 are now stocked. Finalizing system 4 test fixture and integrity of the new controller IC which should boost success to 95%+.

First quarter of 2013 we should be accepting all integral ABS and system 4.

Please contact Tyler at ModuleMaster with any questions regarding your ABS 4 being a candidate for rebuilding right now (tell him your fault codes) or updates for the integral ABS; or any ABS questions. He's my master engineer set out to solve this problem. He has a bike. I have a bike.

We like bikes that work.

Thanks!

Last edited by gavincurtis; Oct 10th, 2012 at 12:25 am.
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 4:51 pm

Thumbs down Re: ABS repair - Three years later

I spoke with Cali a minute ago. She indicates you won't be ready to rebuild these until 2016.

Is there anything short of a rebuild I can do now to have ABS until then?

The error is listed by the dealer as "pressure sensor in ABS module has failed". Can I buy a pressure sensor from you?

Can you provide the part number so I can try to source one myself...

Wade

Hi Wade,
We do not have pressure sensors to sell. This is one of the parts that we are having to manufacture. You cannot get them from anyone but BMW who will not sell them. There is nothing you can do but wait until we get the parts made or buy a new module from BMW, sorry.
Mari

Module Master / Circuit Solutions
www.modulemaster.com
2006 S Main
Moscow, ID 83843
On 10/2/2015 1:23 PM
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 4th, 2015, 3:35 am

Hi Wade,

I posted myself recently about the repair of my 2006 iABS module.

The repair company obviously changed some parts and replaced it with different new ones. Look in the picture, the sensor plate IS new and thicker than the OEM one.

The thread might help you : http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ml#post1391826

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in