BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Rear Break Pads Install, Help please. (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/68291-rear-break-pads-install-help-please.html)

mabden May 22nd, 2012 9:11 pm

Rear Break Pads Install, Help please.

2000 K1200LT Brembo Rear Brake. I've done this before on other 2000 K1200LTs with no problems.
Installing new EBC FA 304HH pads. Pistons fully depressed to edge of housings. Pads will not fit,: too thick. Verified with measurement. I have wrong pads or I'm missing something or forgot how to do this.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bones1955 May 22nd, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Rear Break Pads Install, Help please.

Same year as mine and I bought the same pads...not sure of part # off hand though.
But they were EBC HH [pads.
I just took the two pins out ..after taking those little clips out.
Took the cap off the reservoir and with the old pads still in pushed both sets of pistons in by using a screwdriver.
First time I did it and it went fine!

Mine were shot and the bike passed inspection 400 miles before that from the previous owner..go figure.
Can you get one side or the other in ok?

Cochinosucio May 22nd, 2012 10:16 pm

I just put those on my 2001, along with the new EBC rotor. They are tight, but they do fit. One of your caliper pistons is pushing out while you are compressing another. Make sure you hold your tongue right! :p

jzeiler May 22nd, 2012 10:19 pm

You have the correct pads - they should fit if the pistons are all the way back (all four of them). My stock ones measured (including the metal backing) 0.343" at 3760 miles, if that helps. Never measured a new set.

mabden May 22nd, 2012 10:50 pm

Thank you. I mis-identified what I thought was the piston. Ok. So now 3 are fully depressed and one seems stuck in the full "out" position; won't budge. Ideas please.
Thanks
Mark

Cochinosucio May 22nd, 2012 11:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mabden
Thank you. I mis-identified what I thought was the piston. Ok. So now 3 are fully depressed and one seems stuck in the full "out" position; won't budge. Ideas please.
Thanks
Mark

Either liquid lock from the reservoir being completely full, (take the cover off) or the piston cap is cocked. Try removing the pads from the calipers, and take the stuck cap out, and reseat it.

Cochinosucio May 22nd, 2012 11:01 pm

Please update your profile with a bit more info....Thanks!

biknut May 23rd, 2012 3:32 am

I used 4 C-clamps on mine, at the same time. It was a tight fit, but all 4 pots went back in there like they should. I don't think I could've gotten them on otherwise.

Cochinosucio May 23rd, 2012 9:23 am

Were you able to make them fit?

johnbaker15 May 23rd, 2012 11:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mabden
Thanks
Mark

If you have the forth one compressed this little tip will not help now. When you are compressing the pistons you are forcing the brake fluid back into the ABS unit if it is old fluid that is not a good idea.
So instead of just compressing the piston, loosen the bleed screw and let the fluid come out there. Of course you will need to collect it rather than have it squirt onto the floor, and you will have to top off the reservoir after. HTH :)

biknut May 23rd, 2012 2:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
Were you able to make them fit?

Two of them were really small clamps, the other two not so small. But yes, with some imaginative angles and several tries, I had 4 clamps on that rear caliper!

jzeiler May 23rd, 2012 4:13 pm

The best way to push the pistons back after you spray them down with Brakekleen is to use the old pads. Just pull one out halfway and lever the pistons back on one side insert the new pad and the push the other side back with the remaining old pad.

blueknightga6 May 23rd, 2012 4:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzeiler
The best way to push the pistons back after you spray them down with Brakekleen is to use the old pads. Just pull one out halfway and lever the pistons back on one side insert the new pad and the push the other side back with the remaining old pad.

...And that is why I got a Clymer's manual. It's exactly the procedure in the book.

mabden May 23rd, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks everyone! I removed the caliper from the bike. At the bench I removed the sticky piston, cleaned then cleaned the chamber. It went right in.

Now having removed the caliper, how do I get some pressure in the rear lines to bleed the brakes.
Mark

jzeiler May 23rd, 2012 10:10 pm

You can always get a syringe and push fluid from the caliper up to the reservoir. Usually works if you can't get pressure built up from the master cylinder. Just drain the reservoir first. If you have a Tractor Supply near by they carry a nice assortment for livestock use