Anyone use Astech Custom Motorcycle Seats - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Question Anyone use Astech Custom Motorcycle Seats

I'm curious if any member used this company for seat modifications and if you are happy with the results. I'm considering flattening out my heated seat and adding a gel insert along with new foam while still using the original seat material. I was quoted just over $200 which seems reasonable. I really don't want to purchase an aftermarket seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 5:30 pm

Re: Anyone use Astech Custom Motorcycle Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHoss
I'm curious if any member used this company for seat modifications and if you are happy with the results. I'm considering flattening out my heated seat and adding a gel insert along with new foam while still using the original seat material. I was quoted just over $200 which seems reasonable. I really don't want to purchase an aftermarket seat.
I actually sent my rider and pillion seat to Astech last week; I should receive it back by the end of this week. I've done a ton of investigation on the latest technology on foams and gels and Astech has the latest types in their seats. I like the idea that they can take off the cover and replace it - way cheaper that way. I'll let you know how I like it - I'm having them dish both seats a bit as well, so looking forward to it.

On another note, I believe that Ron at Kontour Seats (one of our sponsors and long time member of this forum) has the same type of technology and everyone that has used his loves it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #3 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

I can't wait to hear how you like your seat mods. Best of luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Rudy
I actually sent my rider and pillion seat to Astech last week; I should receive it back by the end of this week. I've done a ton of investigation on the latest technology on foams and gels and Astech has the latest types in their seats. I like the idea that they can take off the cover and replace it - way cheaper that way. I'll let you know how I like it - I'm having them dish both seats a bit as well, so looking forward to it.

On another note, I believe that Ron at Kontour Seats (one of our sponsors and long time member of this forum) has the same type of technology and everyone that has used his loves it.

post #4 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 6:48 pm

Cannot say anything about Astech, but I have to say that I have ridden Dallas-SoCal and back on one of Ron's Kontour seats and it was probably one of the most comfortable seats I have ridden on. I hated to give it back to the friend who let me borrow it for the trip. The only thing I wish was different about it was the cover... I would rather have had a leather and/or vinyl cover so not as sensitive to water... oh, and I wish it was free... ok, make that two things!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 9:32 pm

Just emailed Astech and posted a query with them regarding rework of my K12 drivers seat. They read well, I'll see what they come back with. Other US companies appear to have absurd turn around times for us here in Oz and cost also seems to be way up there, but as I realise, the end result is what counts. For those more devious, I also see Astech offer installation of 1 "special" type accessory on the passengers seats

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #6 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
For those more devious, I also see Astech offer installation of 1 "special" type accessory on the passengers seats
Yeah, I'll put one in the pillion seat with a switch up front - will probably have a line of passengers!

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #7 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:54 pm

Yeah, I checked their website, I like the "turbo boost" feature. Man would that be something to get 'em goin' !!!! Crazy world.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #8 of 10 Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
The only thing I wish was different about it was the cover... I would rather have had a leather and/or vinyl cover so not as sensitive to water
I'm thinkin' you were riding on one of our first generation seats - which were discontinued in 2008. They had perforated Ultrasuede Alcantara suede covers. It was a bulletproof fabric with one glaring fault - when wetted they would stay wet - for a looonnnng time.

We finally bit the bullet and had a top shelf US textile mill engineer our latest iteration: Polar Mesh. It took two years and 6 mill runs to come up with exactly what we were looking for: incredibly tough, UV proof, grippy, allows copious amounts of air flow AND does not wet! Water drains through it, onto the one piece water proofing/heat rejecting barrier below it and off the sides of the seat. Even when it rains you will never be sitting in a puddle of water. You're suspended 5mm above it. Mo Bettah!

I can't think of a single customer that once having tried Polar Mesh ever wanted to go back to leather or vinyl.

We've even gone one step further: On seats that have built in depressions - like this K1600 GTL pillion - where water could puddle we build in drains and drain holes. No swimming pools allowed like with regular baggy rain covers. Since the barrier is glued in place there are no needle holes to allow water to soak through to the foam - which is the worst case scenario since it will start to mildew. Not to mention sitting on a wet sponge for weeks or months is rather - um... squishy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 23rd, 2012 at 12:04 pm.
post #9 of 10 Old May 23rd, 2012, 4:33 pm

That sounds like some rally cool stuff, Ron.

Wish I had a job... would buy one of them Polar Mesh doohickeys... Nothing ghetto about that!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 10 Old May 24th, 2012, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
That sounds like some rally cool stuff, Ron.

Wish I had a job... would buy one of them Polar Mesh doohickeys... Nothing ghetto about that!
I'll trade ya Tony! I wish I was retired.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in