Warning!! Dumass Bug Is On The Loose! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 21st, 2012, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Warning!! Dumass Bug Is On The Loose!

Unbelieveable! I am still smacking myself in the forehead over such a stupid move......

Have been waiting for the hydraulic pump seals to show up for just about a week and a half, when I decided I might as well change the front tire and install a new Metzler. Because I'd been out riding the day before, and the centerstand is sitting on my workbench, I'd had to leave the bike on the sidestand. So..........I can't believe I'm telling you guys..........I hung a couple of believe believe from the eyebolts in the ceiling joists, and wrapped the other end around the handlebars and started clicking away ( do you see it yet? Can you tell what's coming?) I was doing pretty good....jumping from side to side, and giving each one a couple of clicks before doing the other one.......... Then the "Craaaaaack" ........................and the little plastic elbow (on the handlebar cover) ) that slides under the round piece that covers the triple tree was laying out on the surface just to the left of the radio "hump".....
Sheeeeeeeee it! Then I noticed the huuuuuge gap .............. and lowered the bike back to where it'd started. Needless to say.....the bars had bent........upwards, about an inch and a half to 2 inches!!!! GDIATH!! While I do like the bit of extra height....I now have to sit up reeeeeal straight and lean forward a bit to see the mirrors at all. I can't believe what an idiot I was, in thinking I could lift 800lbs plus in the air like that.......OY!! So....the NEW bars?? $358 simoleons!! You got to be kidding me.................. I just sent a note in to BEEMERBONEYARD to put me on their "parts wanted" list..............and will keep my fingers crossed.

I ended up borrowing my neighbors floor jack and got the dammed thing into the air high enough to get a 2x4 under the centerstand....changed out the tire.......replaced the left fork seal and dust cap.......cleaned it all up and went for a quick one. I'm so upset with myself. Haven't had a job in 21 months......ended up filing for Social Security and wonder how much longer I can afford to keep this beautiful machine. Maybe I could use some of my new found extra time to visit some of those BIG BUSINESS people and BANKERS in prison and tell them how much I enjoy not having anything to work for..............but wait........nobody got sent to prison for ruining so many lives..........siiiiiiiiigh.

Wonder if I'm too old to learn country dancing?

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 21st, 2012, 9:19 pm

Re: Warning!! Dumass Bug Is On The Loose!

Well, you do get extra forgiveness credit for posting this story.
Not that we don't get our own stupid moments, either.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old May 21st, 2012, 10:01 pm

There are18 sets of bars listed on eBay right now. One set was "buy it now" for $30, shipping included. Might be worth a look.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tips727; May 21st, 2012 at 10:06 pm.

post #4 of 17 Old May 21st, 2012, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Well, you do get extra forgiveness credit for posting this story.
Not that we don't get our own stupid moments, either.
+1 on both points. Sharing your story may help someone else to not do the same thing, and many of us have experienced our own dumbass attacks. I've posted about mine, learned some things, and I hope it has helped.

You're in good company.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 17 Old May 21st, 2012, 10:19 pm
cws

Garage

Pat... I'm not sure I get why you needed to jack up the bike... did you remove the entire centrestand, or just the EHCS unit?
You can just remove the EHCS unit, leave the centrestand still attached to the bike, and with the help of someone on the other side of the bike (I had my 83 year old Dad help me..) hold down the stand and rock the bike up onto it...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2012, 1:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Pat... I'm not sure I get why you needed to jack up the bike... did you remove the entire centrestand, or just the EHCS unit?
You can just remove the EHCS unit, leave the centrestand still attached to the bike, and with the help of someone on the other side of the bike (I had my 83 year old Dad help me..) hold down the stand and rock the bike up onto it...

Way to go for making that point. If that's what happened, then he now has another Doh!

Patterson must have been really bored or impatient, one, but I'm talking from experience, so I can relate.

BTW, the cool thing about country/western dancing is you can drink beer also.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #7 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2012, 9:27 am

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I wish there was a way to extend the bars front to back about 1 1/2 - 2". Probably could but then the plastic covers would be too short.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:26 am

Glad to see your are ok.

If you cannot find a local set of bars, I have a buddy in Ft Worth who has a cache of parts and I imagine you could have the bars for the price of shipping. PM if you need these and I will forward on to him.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:58 am

Pat, I sent you a PM. Got a line on a set of handlebars for you - as long as you don't mind buying from a Former Marine!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2012, 1:29 pm

You could always run the straps under the bike and pull the bars back down. I know this from an unfortunate trailering attempt.
post #11 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2012, 3:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry, I patented dumbass a long time ago.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2012, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Man.........you guys are something else......I can't even go to the garage right now......can't/wont' look at the bike even. I just feel awful! Once again folks here have stepped up and are trying hard to save my bacon...........I sure hope that some day I can be as helpful to somebody else....it'll be soooooooo easy!.

But the good news so far is that maybe I can get my hands on a set of bars....a few more hours and I'll know......thanks to a MOST accommodating member here.

Just to top things off.......remember the hydraulic pump I've been working on?? Well, the seals finally showed up this past Saturday (had to order them from the outfit in New Jersey.....those folks in Portland never did call me back........) so I finished cleaning everything,,,,got the seals back into the cap that the pistons rod runs thru, and while trying to get the piston back into the sleeve, I inadvertently cut a chunk off the seal over the O-ring and the mashed the one with the slice.......... That was just NOT MY DAY. But I finally found a place down the road a bit and they think they can get me new ones for $15 or $20 EACH!

Lord, I need to get out and start buying a LOTTO ticket................this is just killing me.

Hopefully, updates will come later.....maybe even with other helpful hints for you all.

Pat

363K on BMW's
post #13 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2012, 6:25 am

Next time you may want to flip the bike upside down like a bicycle so you can get to the tires easier!
Since no one here can make you feel better even though we ALL do dumb things, I will say it: You Big Dumdum! (me too) Embrace the suck, its just part of being a man.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #14 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2012, 6:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
......I can't even go to the garage right now......can't/wont' look at the bike even. I just feel awful! ...........I sure hope that some day I can be as helpful to somebody else....it'll be soooooooo easy!.................this is just killing me.
Pat
Your sins are forgiven..................now go and forgive others.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #15 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2012, 8:27 am

You know, I remember reading a post about not tieing down your bike by the handle bars,
because it will move them down in the clamps.
Maybe your bars are not bent.........But they simply slipped in the clamps.
If you're lucky, you can loosen the handle bar clamps, readjust them, and then all you'll need is some new plastic.
It's worth a look ?

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #16 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2012, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
Next time you may want to flip the bike upside down like a bicycle so you can get to the tires easier!
No don't do that, I ended up chipping the top of my windscreen trying it.

I don't know why I listen to you guys sometimes!

I'm wondering if the bars just didn't spin/slip...hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

2012 K1600GT

post #17 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2012, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Hmmmmmm slipped handlebars.......I do know about those......that could be worth looking into..............thanks!

Now......remember those two seals on the piston I was talking about......just got a call from the shop who says they can get them.......for $130!! OMG!! Told them to go ahead, but now I am having second thoughts..............bummed!

But, I am going outright now and see about the bars..........

Later

Pat

363K on BMW's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in