A new twist to "Baffled" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 10:55 am Thread Starter

A new twist to "Baffled"

If you read any of my "Baffled" post, you'll see I had issues after a 24K service. New plugs, filters etc. Now that I have the bike running I see a new problem.

When I start it, I see some raw fuel coming out of the exhaust. I let the bike warm up, and rev it fairly high, 3 - 5 times and now I see a lot of raw fuel on the concrete on my garage floor under the exhaust. Is this just expelling all the fuel that didn't burn when it wouldn't start earlier? Or do I possibly have another issue? If this were my Maico 250 I'd assume the float was stuck, but guess thats kinda impossible on this bike.

Your thoughts?

2000 K1200LT (Does LT really stand for Light TRuck?)
2001 R1100S Bumble Bee
'75 Maico 400
'78 Maico 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 11:04 am

Re: A new twist to "Baffled"

Could be a faulty O2 sensor.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 11:08 am Thread Starter

While apart during the first baffled session I cut the line under the seat to the canister and cut the other line on the left side and plugged it per instruciotns for this modification posted on here. So, can't be that. I'm wondering if it's just a bunch of fule in it from not starting earlier.

2001 R1100S Bumble Bee
'75 Maico 400
'78 Maico 250

post #4 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 11:11 am

I think it is water in the form of condensation that you are seeing. How long does the liquid remain? Gas will be gone in a couple of minutes.

Ron
post #5 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 11:12 am

brain storming without see it but...

-spark plug not woking the fuel gets flushed.
-computer thinking its to lean so adds so much fuel it can burn it all.
-fuel flow not shutting off still injecting fuel during exhaust cycle.

what else?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 11:32 am Thread Starter

It's not water, and it's quite a bit of fuel. The higher I rev it, the more it spews out.

2001 R1100S Bumble Bee
'75 Maico 400
'78 Maico 250
post #7 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 11:48 am

If the motor is running fine, it's probably just buildup from trying to start it, just take it out and run the piss out of it for a few miles, then check it. I'm sure if it was passing that much unburned fuel through the motor it would run like crap..

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 11:53 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

+1. Get out and ride it for 20 minutes and them assess.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 12:01 pm

Just a stray thought from someone with no experience of this fault;

If the exhaust has a significant amount of fuel in it, and it get kinda warmish by running it, is there any possibility of a "super backfire"?

Cheers, StClair

1977 Honda CB400F Super Sport
2007 G650 Xcountry
2008 K1200LT SE
1990 Kawasaki GTR 1000 (Concours) + Hedingham XL
1952 Francis Barnett Falcon 58
post #10 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Ummmm...... Kinda my thought too! Especially since it's my but above the exhaust and my legs around the fuel tank. Just sayin.

And, it's actually on a small trailer that I use when I work on it to raise it up. I'd need to put all the plastic back on, unload it, and then run it up the road. I was kind of hoping for a definetive answer before I went throught all that. But, if thats the prevailing answer, then thats what I'm gonna do.

2001 R1100S Bumble Bee
'75 Maico 400
'78 Maico 250
post #11 of 13 Old May 21st, 2012, 12:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Well the worst thing you can do is let it sit and idle as it warms up. Drive it around naked for a test run. I don't expect you will blow up - maybe shoot some really nice flames out the tail pipe but no explosion.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 13 Old May 22nd, 2012, 2:59 am

I posted a reply in your other "baffled" thread.
You might want to refer back to it if not done so already.

Your new problem somewhat confirms my suspicion I mentioned in other post about the engine possibly flooding (too much fuel).

The suggestion here regarding the defunct O2 sensor is more inline w/ possible causes than other suggestions offered, but I'm not saying this is it. What I am saying is your issue might be more complex.

I originally said all one needs for a gasoline engine is fuel, air, and spark (simply put). I also mentioned you apparently do not have a fuel supply problem because your application of ether didn't help, thereby proving it wasn't a supply problem, however, you could very well have a fuel management problem, and this is where the complexity comes in, as well as my statement about the oxygen sensor. It is part of the fuel management/delivery system. I'm new to LTs, so I can only offer general/fundamental advice, but accurately troubleshooting and repairing these kinds of problems can require very expensive diagnostic tools and equipment.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #13 of 13 Old May 22nd, 2012, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Here's my suspicion......

It ran for 100 miles perfectly. It was fueled up before the 100 mile run and a little over full. It was then parked in the sun for 7 hours. When I tried to start it after sitting for the 7 hours, it sputtered, started, then died.

I'm guessing the canister had issues from the overflow, which caused the sputter etc. But, when it died, I flooded it, fouling the new plugs. The more I tried to start it, thinking it was a canister problem or line off the fuel pump issue, the more fuel I dumped into her.

After tearing down, checking fuel lines, I put the old plugs back in, but did turn it over several times, for several seconds which in theory blew enough fuel out of the jugs to let the old plugs fire her up. The remaining fuel simply hasn't had time to get flushed out yet.

Thats probably an optimistic hypothesis. It also could be, as stated, a more intricate issue with O2 sensor, electronic fuel delivery, or something along those lines, which I cannot test for.

So, when I find a sucker, i mean friend, to help me get her off the trailer I will run it up the road and hope.

The saga to be continued......

2001 R1100S Bumble Bee
'75 Maico 400
'78 Maico 250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in