ABS/Wigwag Issues - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 20th, 2012, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

ABS/Wigwag Issues

We bought this 2000 LT from a friend last fall, so new to the LT world. The bike had been sitting for a couple of years, ridden maybe once.

The ABS lights were doing the wigwag thing, so I read the book saying that the brakes would work fine but no ABS. Took the bike to a local guy who does service on BMW's, he reset the system and lights worked correctly again. The next day when taking off from a standstill, I hear this weird sound like a rock going through the fender along with a pop, and the wigwag comes back.

Winter was coming on, so I lived with the wigwag until a couple of weeks ago. Put new tires and rear brakes on. Went to local guy again, he bleed brake system and reset system again. Everything worked fine for about a week, then one day I hear the pop and the "rock through the fender" sound again- right after takeoff from a dead standstill. The wigwag has returned yet again.

Talked to my local guy on the phone. He says the pop doesn't sound right, and the "rock through the fender" sound is the ABS self-test on the early model LT's. Says all he can do now is reset the lights again. Says probably an issue with the ABS unit, and I need to start looking for a replacement.

I believe what he is telling me is correct, but before I put down some big $$$ for an ABS unit, I wanted to ask for some more input.

Is this "rock through the fender" sound I hear only when the ABS is functioning correctly the ABS system doing it's self-check? Is there something else in this system that I should consider? Look into? Work on?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Biknut

2000 K1200LT

Previous Rides (in reverse order, since 1974):

'95 Kawasaki Concours
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'80 Honda CM 400E
'73 Honda XL 250
'69 Honda CL 175

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 20th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Re: ABS/Wigwag Issues

Yes, he is correct about the self test piston noise you hear. And he is probably correct about needing a replacement. I know some guys have ridden for years without ABS (2).
post #3 of 10 Old May 21st, 2012, 12:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There is a procedure for cleaning the pistons in the unit and that will sometimes fix a stuck piston fault (#7). You have nothing to loose but a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 3:02 am Thread Starter

My local guy has already done that, I think. I will check with him to make sure.

Biknut

2000 K1200LT

'95 Kawasaki Concours
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'80 Honda CM 400E
'73 Honda XL 250
'69 Honda CL 175

post #5 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2012, 8:11 pm

Did your local guy have the bike stripped to the frame so he could remove the ABS unit, take it apart, and clean the innards? Just getting the ABS unit out and putting it back in is a lengthy process. I know. I did it about 3 times on the 2000 I had.

There are companies that claim they can fix the unit. One in particular is Auto and Truck Electronics. Seems like they change their name from time to time. They are in Rodgersville, TN. Beware if you decide to send the unit off for repair. They weren't able to fix mine, but I think having it bounced around in the UPS truck for 3 round trips was what it needed.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 10 Old May 23rd, 2012, 3:37 am Thread Starter

I'm not sure about stripped to the frame, but this guy is good. He is retired now, and works on BMW's in his garage. There is a dealership in Louisville that actually recognizes him as a factory service tech. I left the bike with him for a week, so he had plenty of time to tear it down and the know-how to do it quickly.

I really do believe in this guy, I just wanted to find out if there are any other suggestions. Thanks to everyone for the help you have offered!

Biknut

2000 K1200LT

'95 Kawasaki Concours
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'80 Honda CM 400E
'73 Honda XL 250
'69 Honda CL 175

post #7 of 10 Old May 23rd, 2012, 8:51 am

Well.......... if you're a little "handy" with the wrenches, and you read through this very carefully..........
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=ABS
You can go a looong way towards fixing the ABS yourself.
Reset the code (s), Bleed the brakes through the ABS controller unit to flush it out, then, if you can get going down the road, without the fault lights going......
Hammer on those brakes and make the ABS work !
This worked well for me.
Be careful though.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #8 of 10 Old May 23rd, 2012, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk
Well.......... if you're a little "handy" with the wrenches, and you read through this very carefully..........
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=ABS
You can go a looong way towards fixing the ABS yourself.
Reset the code (s), Bleed the brakes through the ABS controller unit to flush it out, then, if you can get going down the road, without the fault lights going......
Hammer on those brakes and make the ABS work !
This worked well for me.
Be careful though.
Thanks for the info and the link! I shall give these a try in the near future to see if that clears me up.

Biknut

2000 K1200LT

'95 Kawasaki Concours
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'80 Honda CM 400E
'73 Honda XL 250
'69 Honda CL 175

post #9 of 10 Old May 23rd, 2012, 1:56 pm

Smile Re: ABS/Wigwag Issues

I see on another thread a place called module masters claims to repair abs units. Its worth a call and see what they have to say.
post #10 of 10 Old May 24th, 2012, 6:35 am

Hey biknut !
Be sure to let us know how it works out.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in