Just did 12k service on my '05 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 20th, 2012, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Just did 12k service on my '05 LT

Well I went to a local chapter tech day and did the routine 12k service on my LT, air and fuel filter, spark plugs and the valve check. All clearances were within spec. Bike was produced in 3/04 and just turned over 12,860 miles. It seems to have more pep and better throttle response now.

Anyway, the hardest part was reinstalling the right side bolt for the fuel tank that also secures the bracket for the rider's seat. I and two others were twisting and turning and jiggling around to get the bolt to line up with seat bracket, fuel tank and hole in the frame. Is there any special trick for doing this?

Thanks.

Kimo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'05 K1200LT Ocean Blue IBA # 49426

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'00 740iL

'02 530iA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 20th, 2012, 11:58 am

Re: Just did 12k service on my '05 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk
Well I went to a local chapter tech day and did the routine 12k service on my LT, air and fuel filter, spark plugs and the valve check. All clearances were within spec. Bike was produced in 3/04 and just turned over 12,860 miles. It seems to have more pep and better throttle response now.

Anyway, the hardest part was reinstalling the right side bolt for the fuel tank that also secures the bracket for the rider's seat. I and two others were twisting and turning and jiggling around to get the bolt to line up with seat bracket, fuel tank and hole in the frame. Is there any special trick for doing this?

Thanks.
when I had trouble lining mine up with difficulty found one of the rubber inside isolation bushings was out of place

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #3 of 8 Old May 20th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Wink Re: Just did 12k service on my '05 LT

Make sure that the other mounting bolts are only loosely installed. Not torqued down. And do be careful to not strip the threads by forcing that bolt. It can be done. I have a Helicoil installed there now.

Patience will win in the end!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #4 of 8 Old May 20th, 2012, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Make sure that the other mounting bolts are only loosely installed. Not torqued down. And do be careful to not strip the threads by forcing that bolt. It can be done. I have a Helicoil installed there now.

Patience will win in the end!

John
Thanks. Our patience was running very thin. I tried all different combinations including no bolts in any of the holes. That seat bracket just didn't want to line up right. Maybe the tank expanded a little from sitting in the sun all day and made the fitting more difficult?

Kimo

'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #5 of 8 Old May 20th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Wink Re: Just did 12k service on my '05 LT

Yes, this is quite common! In the future try to place the tank in some shade if possible and prop it up so that the weight will not allow the sides to spread out from that weight.

BTDT!

John
Quote:
Thanks. Our patience was running very thin. I tried all different combinations including no bolts in any of the holes. That seat bracket just didn't want to line up right. Maybe the tank expanded a little from sitting in the sun all day and made the fitting more difficult?

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 8 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:03 pm

FWIW...put a prybar here:

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #7 of 8 Old May 21st, 2012, 7:03 am Thread Starter

Talking Re: Just did 12k service on my '05 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
FWIW...put a prybar here:

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr
Yep, thanks for the advice. I should have asked the host to borrow a pry bar. That would have worked like a charm. I actually lid a rag in between the seat bracket to use as leverage, same effect.

It looks like you have the same scratch marks on the tank as I do!

Kimo

'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #8 of 8 Old May 21st, 2012, 9:47 am

Quote:

It looks like you have the same scratch marks on the tank as I do!
I think almost all of us do!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in