HELP! with searching - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Cool HELP! with searching

OK, I give! I just cant seem to get the search feature to work for me. say looking for " how to remove " anything. I see where other members attach windows to these threads and articles but cant seem to find them on my own.

So, Im sheading my manliness, I'm lost, need help! Where I'm I, I need directions!

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CMTO 8 yrs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:47 am

Re: HELP! with searching

Try to be more specific. If you want to know "how to remove windshield", just type in "windshield". I just typed in the word "rotor" and got back over 17 pages of posts with the word rotor in it.
Good luck!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #3 of 12 Old May 20th, 2012, 10:02 am

I feel your frustration sometimes when searching this site. IMO, the search feature is too restrictive not allowing 3 letter words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebear695
OK, I give! I just cant seem to get the search feature to work for me. say looking for " how to remove " anything. I see where other members attach windows to these threads and articles but cant seem to find them on my own.

So, Im sheading my manliness, I'm lost, need help! Where I'm I, I need directions!

'15 GTLE

post #4 of 12 Old May 20th, 2012, 10:32 am

What is it you are looking for?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 12 Old May 20th, 2012, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

well there you have it, "how to remove the windshield" is pretty specific, in fact, cant think of how more specific you can get. By typing windshield, well thats fairly general, I dont want 17 pages of threads containing the word windshield.

I see threads were other members like Dick and Ron place attachments that access articals from years ago the are very informative and specific on the procedures to remove the nose cone, something that has not changed since 1999 model and does not need to be rewriten every time a fool like me cant seem to find the articals.

Tony I'm trying to find instructions and maybe pictures for removing the dash cover to access the area above the instruments and below the windshield, the area of the map light to install the old style Nav mount. Or something that addresses the reason when moving the stingray why do guys stop at unpluging the wire conectors to remove the stingray completely from the bike, too difficult or only unnessesary? Or how to remove the fuel tank, I know its there, but how and where.

Eddee P

2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2001 Ducati ST4

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #6 of 12 Old May 21st, 2012, 7:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebear695
Tony I'm trying to find instructions and maybe pictures for removing the dash cover to access the area above the instruments and below the windshield, the area of the map light to install the old style Nav mount.
Eddee,

Go to the files ( link at top of screen) area look for the file "BMW Navigator GPS install instructions " that will tell you how to install that mount. It is a PDF file so you can save it to your computer and open it there. BTW you will not need to take the left side tupperware off for just a mount install, only need to do that if you are looking to install the entire kit.
For the windshield removal, type just that in the search area (windshield removal) go to the ones that have both windshield and removal in the title.
One thing that I did early on to this forum is read almost everything in the "Hall of Wisdom" (AKA HOW), go to the Technical drop down at the top select Hall of Wisdom. I have to go back every now and then to remember stuff.

Here a couple ways to search;
Basic Search Syntax
•Search multiple words use Boolean operators such as:
- AND (ex. ajax AND instant)
- OR (ex. ajax OR instant)
- NOT (ex. ajax NOT instant) or use the minus sign (-) (ex. ajax -instant)
•Search for an exact phrase using quotes:
- (ex. "instant email")
•Search for wild cards using asterisks (*)
- (ex. *mail)

HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 12 Old May 21st, 2012, 8:17 am

I found that a cheating way to find something that I had difficulty finding through a search was to ask a question in the forum and then right after look below in the section called Similar Threads. There I would find 3-4 threads that addressed the issue.

The Similar Thread section is very powerful.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 12 Old May 21st, 2012, 8:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I found that a cheating way to find something that I had difficulty finding through a search was to ask a question in the forum and then right after look below in the section called Similar Threads. There I would find 3-4 threads that addressed the issue.

The Similar Thread section is very powerful.
Dan I feel quilty when I do that.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #9 of 12 Old May 21st, 2012, 9:11 am

Like this thread down below links one to "searching for the perfect woman"

Kimo

'05 K1200LT Ocean Blue IBA # 49426

'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #10 of 12 Old May 21st, 2012, 5:39 pm

An easy way to search this forum, (or any forum for that matter) is to use Google.

Go to Google

Type your search term, and then enter site:bmwlt.com

You're done.

In your example above you would type a line something like this:

replacing windshield bmw LT site:bmwlt.com

Works for me.

Bob

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #11 of 12 Old May 21st, 2012, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys, all that was helpful, i'll give it a try!

Eddee P

2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2001 Ducati ST4

CMTO 8 yrs

post #12 of 12 Old May 22nd, 2012, 2:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
I feel your frustration sometimes when searching this site. IMO, the search feature is too restrictive not allowing 3 letter words.

+1
this site's search capabilities really lacks a lot to be desired, but that being said, I'm surprised the forum police haven't told us this thread isn't in the appropriate sub forum.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in