Rear Ended by a Van - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 7:56 am Thread Starter

Rear Ended by a Van

I decided to take a ride today out by the Rock River. On WB 90 this morning I stopped at the Belvidere Oasis to fuel up. When I left the station I stopped at the stop sign before proceeding out into the lane that leads to the parking lots and bam! The bike fell to the left and I fell right. Not sure how that happened but it was so fast I couldn't analyze it. I had a sore right knee scrapped up but otherwise fine. The guy that hit me was very apologetic and said he was looking back at a vehicle that was supposed to be following him. It was a large red Mercedes work van. The amazing thing was that it dented the front of the van in several places and even pushed in the hood about a half inch in an area about 12 inches wide by 3 inches high --but, as far as I can tell, only scratched up the trunk on the LT. I am pretty sure it didn't touch the rear wheel or license plate area. After getting the police report I put the mirror back on and rode it around the lot. It all seemed fine so I rode it home on I90 and all seems the same. In the garage I inspected it and can't find any damage other than the scrapped up trunk and the typical tip over damage on the left side.

Any thoughts on possible hidden damage? Below links to the pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1100905...0252/20120519#

Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:18 am

Re: Rear Ended by a Van

Looks like you got away pretty clean, it looks like the fit between cover (1) and the molding (3) in the last pic is not right, you could have a bent safety bar (2) or bracket (4) or both. I would pull off 1 and 3 on both sides, measure from the ground while the bike is on the center stand to see if there is a problem.

Pop out the lining in your top case to make sure that there has been no weakening of the attach points, looks like the top case took the brunt of the impact - also a good opportunity to move the top case to the rearward position for the comfort of your passenger.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine Protect Bar.pdf (154.6 KB, 70 views)
post #3 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:23 am

That is one tough LT.
Glad to hear you didn't get hurt badly, the bike can be fixed.

post #4 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:30 am

I would take it to my nearest BMW dealer for an estimate. I expect you will find that you have several thousand dollars in damages. The dealer estimate will show the need to replace the parts that are damaged, even scratched. Since you were rear ended, the other party will surely be at fault and his insurance will be liable to pay for your damages. Whether or not you choose to replace all the damaged parts should be your decision to make. You may be able to pocket some of the settlement check and fix your bike yourself with parts from eBay or other sources.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Thanks, I have had the crash bars and plastic off before so I am sure you are right. I don't want to do anything until I take it to a dealer for an insurance estimate. Hopefully the guy's insurance will be good and pay. Good idea on the trunk & lining, I have not had that apart of off before. Also thanks for the nice pdf of the crash bar.
post #6 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips727
I would take it to my nearest BMW dealer for an estimate. I expect you will find that you have several thousand dollars in damages. The dealer estimate will show the need to replace the parts that are damaged, even scratched. Since you were rear ended, the other party will surely be at fault and his insurance will be liable to pay for your damages. Whether or not you choose to replace all the damaged parts should be your decision to make. You may be able to pocket some of the settlement check and fix your bike yourself with parts from eBay or other sources.
Thanks I plan to do that. I am trying to decide which dealer to use. They both said I have to leave the bike because the insurance company will want to come in and look at it. There are two BMW dealers local and one independent shop that does insurance work.
post #7 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
That is one tough LT.
Glad to hear you didn't get hurt badly, the bike can be fixed.
Thank you. I am impressed with the LT.
post #8 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 10:02 am

Quote:
+1

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #9 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 10:20 am

Glad you are ok.

I expect that you may be sore tomorrow, and possibly even more so on Tuesday. Based on my own experience, I offer the suggestion that you consider going to a doctor for a good checkup to be sure all is ok, just like you are taking your bike to the dealer for a thorough check-over to be sure it is ok and suffers no hidden damage. You are more important than the bike, and deserve at least as good care as it does. Besides, you are likely to have that body much longer than you will that LT.

Your profile does not indicate where you are located, but we are all neighbors just the same. I am sure if you need an assist, someone will be close by enough to provide one. IT's what we do around here.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 11:01 am

I'd say you're pretty darn lucky.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Last edited by mwnahas; May 20th, 2012 at 2:40 pm.
post #11 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Be especially aware that your LT doesn't now pull to one side or the other. That would mean the frame has been bent & that the axis of the trailing arm & the steering head are not perpendicular.
post #12 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Glad you are ok.

I expect that you may be sore tomorrow, and possibly even more so on Tuesday. Based on my own experience, I offer the suggestion that you consider going to a doctor for a good checkup to be sure all is ok, just like you are taking your bike to the dealer for a thorough check-over to be sure it is ok and suffers no hidden damage. You are more important than the bike, and deserve at least as good care as it does. Besides, you are likely to have that body much longer than you will that LT.

Your profile does not indicate where you are located, but we are all neighbors just the same. I am sure if you need an assist, someone will be close by enough to provide one. IT's what we do around here.
Thanks very much. A couple people have recommended seeing a doctor and the knee is a little sore today. I do hope to be around after I get tired of pushing the 840 pound motorcycle around in the garage
post #13 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 6:40 pm

I was rear ended several years ago and the bike was totaled just due to the subframe being bent. I did not go down but that was merely luck as I was doing 70 mph on a Sunday afternoon when hit by a .23 drunk driver. The backrest probably saved my life as my hands did not come off the handlebars. In any case make sure the bike gets a complete inspection by a dealer trained repair expert. My bike didn't look that bad but it was toast.
post #14 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 6:46 pm

so close to home.... Not what I kike to see! I travel in that area frequently Glad you are good to go

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #15 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
I'd say you're pretty darn lucky.
Yep. 36 years of riding and this is the first time I have tangled with another vehicle.
post #16 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
Be especially aware that your LT doesn't now pull to one side or the other. That would mean the frame has been bent & that the axis of the trailing arm & the steering head are not perpendicular.
Going home, on the few stretches of pavement that were nice, I was able to ride straight with the cruise control engaged and no hands on the bars. Based on that I think it is OK but I'll ask the shop what they think too.
post #17 of 20 Old May 20th, 2012, 9:39 pm

In the one picture it almost looks like the left peg mount is cracked. Maybe it is just an illusion.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #18 of 20 Old May 21st, 2012, 9:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Glad you're ok. and a big +1 on what several others have said, go get it inspected at your nearest Dealer to be sure it's OK and get a repair estimate.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #19 of 20 Old May 21st, 2012, 9:36 pm

Quote:
I would take it to my nearest BMW dealer for an estimate. I expect you will find that you have several thousand dollars in damages. ... .
Very true.

Many years ago, I collided with a pickup truck on my previous LT. Aside of some scratches, no damage from collision. However, the bike tipped over in the aftermath and got scratches and bent shifter on the opposite side.
The repair bill was almost $4k, mostly due to replacement/repainting of scratched body panels.

LT is not cheap.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #20 of 20 Old May 21st, 2012, 11:13 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Very true.

The repair bill was almost $4k, mostly due to replacement/repainting of scratched body panels.

LT is not cheap.
Get an estimate....

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in