HID; Dependability, replacement bulbs availability. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 19th, 2012, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

HID; Dependability, replacement bulbs availability.

In considering whether or not to install HID bulb upgrade modifications, I'm wondering 2 questions; 1) Are the bulbs much less dependable than regular incandescants? Do you need to change them more often, or less? And 2), how available are the bulbs. Just more stuff to store on a long ride? If your'e out on a 3 week ride and one goes out in the middle of nowhere, are they almost impossible to replace?

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 19th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Re: HID; Dependability, replacement bulbs availability.

I bought my 99 with them already installed. I've owned the bike for three years with no problems. Cannot answer the rest of your questions but I'm sure others will pipe in soon. I am very happy with them--great day visibility and wow, when I do drive at night which isn't often...they are awesome.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old May 19th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Mine are several years old and (knock on wood) still going strong. With my Ducati Designs headlight kid, I have two HID low beam bulbs, so if one goes out I am still good to go, as long as the other stays lit!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 18 Old May 19th, 2012, 7:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only time the bulb will fail is if you break it. No filament just an arc chamber. The ballast is the usual failure point and even then they are very reliable. 6 years plus on my LT and still going strong and bright. Draws less power as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 18 Old May 19th, 2012, 8:22 pm

I too have nearly three years on mine
No issues. The lamps are available through the manufacturer. Mine are warrantied forever by the mfg. Everything is still in place from the original halogen so a conversion is easy. Disconnect the HID wire going to the lamp and plug the original wiring to a quartz lamp.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 18 Old May 19th, 2012, 8:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have over 8 years on my bulb. No need to worry. Most units these days are plug and play. I carry the regular bulb in the saddlebag and it is easy to un-plug the HID and reinstall the bulb. I'm beating Murphy since I carry the spare =-}

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #7 of 18 Old May 20th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Yup, the HIDs are GREAT! Installed mine over 9 years ago. Its probably the BEST upgrade you can add to the bike. You will not be sorry. Do make sure you aim them carefully or you may find yourself in trouble with the law and various angry, temporarily blind motorists.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #8 of 18 Old May 20th, 2012, 4:38 pm

^^^^
What they all said. You won't regret it.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 18 Old May 21st, 2012, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks a whole bunch everyone. I just ordered a 55W, 6000 color, H7 kit for the Lo beam and another one for the Hi beam in an H3 "bulb" from DMM tuning. $65 total and another $21 (high for shipping?) to ship it. I'll be watching the porch every day like a kid!!!

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
post #10 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2012, 2:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew
I have over 8 years on my bulb. No need to worry. Most units these days are plug and play. I carry the regular bulb in the saddlebag and it is easy to un-plug the HID and reinstall the bulb. I'm beating Murphy since I carry the spare =-}
when you say "regular bulb", are you referring to a non-HID bulb? If so, are you saying you can plug that straight into the HID lamp socket and it'll still work? If so, I'd be inclined to whole-heartedly disagree with you.

Now, I did see one post in another thread along same topic lines, where the person mentioned he left his standard lamp socket intact after doing an "upgrade", in order to be able to do exactly what you're mentioning.

Side note: not to pick on or single out NCCCC1, nor to highjack this thread, but I wonder how many subscribers who are also cage owners, jump into their cages everyday and worry about how long their headlights are going to continue burning, or perhaps carry around a bunch of tools in their trunk? Yes, I realize cages usually have more than one headlight. Just saying....

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #11 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2012, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Good point and well taken.

BMW MOA# 180321
post #12 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2012, 2:28 pm

Talking Re: HID; Dependability, replacement bulbs availability.

I got the 55watt setup DDM Tuning as well. I went with the 4500k, and the upgraded ballast and heavy duty wiring. I think everything including shipping was about $60.

Dang, I am IMPRESSED! Night looks like daylight in my little bubble. I did need to point the light a bit lower than the normal halogen bulb, so not to pi$$ off any drivers, but it is just plain awesome!

I am so impressed with the DDM setup, I am going to order a kit for my SUV as well.

Paul
post #13 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2012, 5:20 pm

Unplug HID plug in standard lamp... I guess a little explanation is in order..

Most of the newer kits are setup so that you just plug the input to the HID's into the existing lamp socket.. Then plug your HID bulb into the output of the ballast/ignitor assembly...

So when you go back.. You go back to incandescent by unplugging the entire hid setup and putting a regular lamp back into the socket and reconnecting the original wires...

Clear as mud now ?

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #14 of 18 Old May 24th, 2012, 3:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Unplug HID plug in standard lamp... I guess a little explanation is in order..

Most of the newer kits are setup so that you just plug the input to the HID's into the existing lamp socket.. Then plug your HID bulb into the output of the ballast/ignitor assembly...

So when you go back.. You go back to incandescent by unplugging the entire hid setup and putting a regular lamp back into the socket and reconnecting the original wires...

Clear as mud now ?

John
That helps me understand it better! Thinking this just might the next farkle since I ride home from work at 3am in Deer Country.

Biknut

2000 K1200LT

Previous Rides (in reverse order, since 1974):

'95 Kawasaki Concours
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'80 Honda CM 400E
'73 Honda XL 250
'69 Honda CL 175

post #15 of 18 Old May 24th, 2012, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
...Most of the newer kits are setup so that you just plug the input to the HID's into the existing lamp socket.. Then plug your HID bulb into the output of the ballast/ignitor assembly...So when you go back.. You go back to incandescent by unplugging the entire hid setup and putting a regular lamp back into the socket and reconnecting the original wires... John
That's too easy John. I did not know that. I wonder if the kit I purchased is setup like that. I guess I'll find out in a few months. Thanks for the clarification.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #16 of 18 Old May 31st, 2012, 5:08 pm

Given that this is an aftermarket upgrade you will find numerous different vendors offering HID kits with varying levels of quality. XenonDepot motorcycle HID Kits use genuine German made Philips bulbs and high high quality digital ballasts that are both shockproof and waterproof. The ballasts are low draw meaning that you can literally power the ballasts directly from the OEM headlight harness. Quality HID bulbs are rated at approx 2500 hours of use as there is no filament which can break due to road vibrations. The nice thing about most HID kits is that you can go back to stock if you need to. The kits plug into your OEM headlight harness with no modifications so you can easily plug your halogen bulb back into place should you need to. BWWLT members receive a 15% discount on our HID kits by using coupon code BMWLT upon checkout.

Regards,

Steve

Use our
tool to find the right lighting for your BMW LT, and the most up-to-date BMW LT lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |

post #17 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Given that this is an aftermarket upgrade you will find numerous different vendors offering HID kits with varying levels of quality. XenonDepot motorcycle HID Kits use genuine German made Philips bulbs and high high quality digital ballasts that are both shockproof and waterproof. The ballasts are low draw meaning that you can literally power the ballasts directly from the OEM headlight harness. Quality HID bulbs are rated at approx 2500 hours of use as there is no filament which can break due to road vibrations. The nice thing about most HID kits is that you can go back to stock if you need to. The kits plug into your OEM headlight harness with no modifications so you can easily plug your halogen bulb back into place should you need to. BWWLT members receive a 15% discount on our HID kits by using coupon code BMWLT upon checkout.

Regards,

Steve
Steve, I went you your website three days ago on June 3 and used the link to your customer service to request your specific recommendation for my '05 K1200LT and still have not gotten a response. Is nobody home?

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #18 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2012, 4:22 pm

tips727: Did you send an email or PM? If so, I did not get any PM or email from you. I'm really sorry but somehow the message did not come through. Please send me a PM with your contact info and I will give you a call to discuss your options.

Steve

Use our
tool to find the right lighting for your BMW LT, and the most up-to-date BMW LT lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in