Tankslappin(!) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old May 18th, 2012, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Tankslappin(!)

I went to lower my modular helmet, the street behind me was empty, and I'm doing about 30 or so, so I figure a quick 'let go, pull down with one hand while holding helmet with the other' maneuver wouldn't be a problem.

That's when the combination of no hands, plus low gear deceleration caused the handlebars to start wobbling. A quick grab got things under control, and it WAS an unusual situation...but, uh...I thought the steering damper was supposed to prevent that?

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old May 18th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Re: Tankslappin(!)

Is the damper fully functioning? It is supposed to stop it from uncontrollability...

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #3 of 24 Old May 18th, 2012, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
Is the damper fully functioning? It is supposed to stop it from uncontrollability...
It's functioning, lord only knows it's FULLY functioning.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue

post #4 of 24 Old May 18th, 2012, 9:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Do a search...there are a lot of posts on here about that symptom. Some think it's related to tires and some just think it's a peculiarity of the LT, maybe related to front fork rake, weight, etc. I know one thing...I did the same thing you did one time and never did it again.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 24 Old May 18th, 2012, 9:21 pm
cws

Garage

Most of us that have been through it have found that the right set of new tyres will solve the problem, at least until they have worn appreciably. The Metz seemed to have a manufacturing issue for a while.
An old clip of the problem... K1200LT steering wobble

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 24 Old May 18th, 2012, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Most of us that have been through it have found that the right set of new tyres will solve the problem, at least until they have worn appreciably. The Metz seemed to have a manufacturing issue for a while.
An old clip of the problem... K1200LT steering wobble
There seems to be an unusual amount of play in the bushings that mount the dampener, but without a second example, it's hard to say. The metzler up front isn't that old (3000 miles or so)

But like above, I'm not going to try it again!

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #7 of 24 Old May 18th, 2012, 11:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My opinion:
You likely have a stretched bead on the front tire. Without going into a long explanation, that's likely the problem and I know of no way to confirm that it's stretched. While it's an exaggerated example, try rolling a tapered rubber cork in a straight line on a smooth floor to see the problem a stretched bead causes. The tire tries to turn and then the gyroscopic forces correct it into a straight line. Turn, correct, repeat, wobble, tank slap.

post #8 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 6:17 am

That is a common thing. The right set of circumstances during slow deceleration and it will wobble. I never felt it wobble even with only one hand on bars,so moral of the story, keep at least one hand on at all times and don't worry about it.
post #9 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 6:53 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
There seems to be an unusual amount of play in the bushings that mount the dampener, but without a second example, it's hard to say. The metzler up front isn't that old (3000 miles or so)

But like above, I'm not going to try it again!
Test the damper with front wheel off the ground. Move bars side to side slowly, then fast. If it is working you will feel a difference.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Test the damper with front wheel off the ground. Move bars side to side slowly, then fast. If it is working you will feel a difference.
I feel a difference...but I ALSO notice a lot of play in the dampener with little movement, like bushings might be worn. It's not a _violent_ shake (it's identical to the video a few links up from here) and might correspond to the play in bushings.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #11 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 8:35 am

You will get some play at the damper (normal), however, it should REALLY slow down rapid movement changes, while allowing free, unrestricted slower movements.

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love

Previous loves...
post #12 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 10:50 am

Explained here in detail - it can happen to any motorcycle:

All you've got to do is stop making so many left turns. Really.

Motorcycle Tire Wear

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Explained here in detail - it can happen to any motorcycle:

All you've got to do is stop making so many left turns. Really.

Motorcycle Tire Wear
OUTSTANDING PRIVATE PYLE!

Leo Aikman

Current Love

Previous loves...
post #14 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Its telling you that it's time for a new front tire.

My front is showing a lot of wear, would not surprise me much if mine did that.

B D R
post #15 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Its telling you that it's time for a new front tire.

My front is showing a lot of wear, would not surprise me much if mine did that.
I hope not...they still have the rubber nurples on them!

IMG_1578 by Matey-O, on Flickr

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #16 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 9:56 pm

That tire shows classic front left tire "scalloping/scuffing". The mold nipples have NOTHING to do with it.

If you don't want to spend the time reading the article I mentioned...

Scalloping is dramatically increased by consistent under inflation. You need to check your tires EVERY time you ride and 42/48 psi is the consensus inflation mark - over the years - to avoid premature wear.

The LT is a very heavy bike, and if you brake while cornering you will cut the life of the tire by 50%. In my experience, with the exception of riders specifically trained for road racing, 99% of riders brake into corners.

Eventually - even if you take excellent care of your tires - scalloping, the attendant noise and loss of traction will occur.

Entropy rules.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 19th, 2012 at 10:16 pm.
post #17 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
OUTSTANDING PRIVATE PYLE!
Thanks Gunnery Sargent Carter!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #18 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Where's Uncle Mark when you need him?

(probably out riding...)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #19 of 24 Old May 19th, 2012, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
That tire shows classic front left tire "scalloping/scuffing". The mold nipples have NOTHING to do with it.

Scalloping is dramatically increased by consistent under inflation. You need to check your tires EVERY time you ride and 42/48 psi is the consensus inflation mark - over the years - to avoid premature wear.

Eventually - even if you take excellent care of your tires - scalloping, the attendant noise and loss of traction will occur.

Entropy rules.
Man. NOBODY has a sence of humor around here. I read the article. Recognized the symptoms as the Battleax I took off looked like it had a waffleprint and howled like a banshee.

I've been pretty good at keeping on top of the tire pressure and most likely brake in corners. Honestly, the tread profile looks good, but that's to rather ignorant eyes.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #20 of 24 Old May 20th, 2012, 12:36 am

Quote:
with the exception of riders specifically trained for road racing,[/i][/b] 99% of riders brake into corners.Eventually - even if you take excellent care of your tires - scalloping, the attendant noise and loss of traction will occur.

Entropy rules.
This statistic should also include Police Motor Operators, who are trained to to break into turns,

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #21 of 24 Old May 20th, 2012, 12:51 am
cws

Garage

Mike, a few years back (when I made the video) I'd already worked through 2 sets of tyres since bike was new with no issues, then all of a sudden I went through the next 2 new sets of ME880's and on each set I had the "wobble" from day 1... it was first thing I tested as I rode out of the dealer. This on brand new tyres! I could feel it as I leaned into a faster sweeping corner... I didn't need to take my hands off the bars to know that something wasn't right.
Dealer couldn't seem to find a problem with it. I was just about tearing my hair out.
Eventually when I needed another new set... the wobble was gone..!!!!!!
Nothing else on the bike changed made a difference, even a new damper the dealer installed didn't help.

Believe that it was the tyres all along, either fitted badly (stretched bead), or out of round from factory.....
Scalloping on the tyres after a lot of wear can cause it also, as described above.

I've got 30,000km on the front Metz at the moment (it needs changing out) but its worn so well that I can let go of the bars and it won't wobble....
So, hang onto the bars and ride it out... and hope your next new front is a good one!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #22 of 24 Old May 20th, 2012, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
This statistic should also include Police Motor Operators, who are trained to to break into turns,
I still catch myself braking into turns all the time, it's a really bad habit that's hard to break. I really need to break down and spend more time practicing proper technique before I break something. Why, if I crashed hard and ended up being disabled I could end up flat broke!

...and some people don't think I have a sense of humor.

I took Keith Code's Superbike school in California (for two days and some serious money) and the one thing he continually drilled into our heads was that not only were you slower by doing this, you also had a much greater chance of high siding. It also kills tires. The first day of class we weren't allowed to use our brakes at all.

They did touch briefly on trail braking and how effective it was for some suspensions during flat out racing - but that it was an advanced technique and took a long time to master.

I'm surprised that braking while cornering is a part of any formal training curriculum. Braking before the turn, certainly.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 20th, 2012 at 11:58 am.
post #23 of 24 Old May 20th, 2012, 11:40 am Thread Starter

From SOLO2, in car's I've always bled off speed, then set up for the turn, but on a motorcycle, I've occasionally found myself carrying too much speed for the lean angle. Clearly, more training is necessary.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #24 of 24 Old May 20th, 2012, 1:43 pm

I wouldn't let go of my handle bars or any other bike I've rode doing 30 mph on a decel. I'd say that's a fairly normal deal. There may be some bikes that would be okay on but I still don't think its a good ideal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in