Tire Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 18th, 2012, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Tire Question

I just picked up my bike from the shop with a new front tire. My bike is a 99KLT. The tire ordered is Metzler ME 880. My question is I didn't realize that the new tire is a redial tire but my rear tire is br 020 bias ply. I know that many people mix brands but mixing redial with bias ply yikes! The rear still has quite a bit of life left. When the rear is worn out I will change to the same set up as the front. Should I be concerned Thanks for the help.....Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 18th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Re: Tire Question

I was told by an Avon rep that running radial rear and bias front is fine, and that's what I now do on my Harley. They did say that running radial front and bias rear is a big no no. I've never tried it, and don't intend to, but maybe someone here has and can offer you some advise.
post #3 of 9 Old May 18th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulStaske
I just picked up my bike from the shop with a new front tire. My bike is a 99KLT. The tire ordered is Metzler ME 880. My question is I didn't realize that the new tire is a redial tire but my rear tire is br 020 bias ply. I know that many people mix brands but mixing redial with bias ply yikes! The rear still has quite a bit of life left. When the rear is worn out I will change to the same set up as the front. Should I be concerned Thanks for the help.....Paul
Paul, that's a good question. I too am running a radial front with a bias rear. Maybe the "suspender guy", the one who wrote that book, will chime in and enlighten us; Uncle Something or other...

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)

post #4 of 9 Old May 18th, 2012, 9:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't believe that the ME 880 s come in a radial. Dooesit have "VR 17" on it or "VB17"?

Ok I checked and they do make a 120/70R17. Should be no problem on you year bike or with the bias on the rear.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old May 18th, 2012, 11:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks I will look into this more in depth
post #6 of 9 Old May 18th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Metz 880's are Bias-ply... the only radial made today for the LT (unless the boys over at marshamllow land - Michelin for those who don't know) is Avon.

I don'r run disparate types... i.e. all Bias or all Radial... But I have heard of those who run radial fronts and bias rears and swear by them. Again, as my book states, what's your primary purpose? Carving up corners or laying down some mileage.

Radials are a softer blend. Using those on the rear and bias on the front could cause the machine to feel like to wants to push or chatter in a turn. Depending on your tire pressures, that could be a real eye opener... great grip in the rear and the front washes out... hmmm.

Let us know what you find...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #7 of 9 Old May 20th, 2012, 3:21 pm

I ran a radial rear and bias front for a long time with no problems.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I don't believe that the ME 880 s come in a radial. Dooes it have "VR 17" on it or "VB17"?

Ok I checked and they do make a 120/70R17. Should be no problem on you year bike or with the bias on the rear.
The bad news: I had a momentary panic when I realized the front tire I had installed 2 days ago was a Metzeler ME880 radial and the rear that is still on the bike is a Metzeler bias. I thought perhaps I was screwed - safety-wise/performance-wise - with this tire combo.

The good news: I jumped back on this site and found this discussion, so I guess all is well again.

Thanks.

PS: John, you can ignore my PM. You've already answered my question.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 2:30 pm

I don't think that I would rest easy with a mix, even Metzler seems to indicate that mixing them isn't a good idea unless the manufacturer recommends. I don't have an owner's manual for my LT (previous owner ) but I don't think it recommends a mix. Here is from Metzler:

Therefore a combination of different constructions between front and rear can influence the motorcycle overall behaviour.

and the link:

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/prod...e/default.page

I know people who are smarter than me on these things probably have a different opinion, but I can't imagine that every tire manufacturer I have been able to find info from out there are in agreement on this, and that they are all wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in