Idiot with Tools - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 14th, 2012, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Idiot with Tools

Did my first oil change last fall on the K bike no sweat. Tonight, though experienced and old I did what I have have done more than once or twice in my life. Er that is I got turned around lysdexic upside down loosening something up and tightened it. I swear I didn't even really wail on it very hard but sos I spun the threads right out of a Bosch oil filter Hopefully them Germans are smart enough to make the oil filters threads of pot metal and the motor stem threads of something harder.

Looks like the pan or part of the pan is going to have to come off. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 15th, 2012, 7:03 am

Re: Idiot with Tools

I'm bettin you wont have too much trouble getting it out. Now if you damaged the male oil threads.....
We are all idiots, but sometimes we get it right.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old May 15th, 2012, 7:42 am

Did I tell you about the time I got lefty-loosey confused, after doing it for 20 years, and what it did to the spark plug that was in the aluminum head of an Acura?

Turns out, the plug was designed to fail in a non-destructive way...the bolt part and thread part were two different pieces, glued together by the ceramic of the plug.

Took a trip to NAPA for some easy-outs, but I got it fixed.

Hopefully, your problem will be a minor one. It may be nothing more than a pipe-fitting that gets replaced. BMW _knows_ each motor will go through a LOT of oil changes. I'll be they accounted for it.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.

post #4 of 10 Old May 15th, 2012, 11:02 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybolz
Did my first oil change last fall on the K bike no sweat. Tonight, though experienced and old I did what I have have done more than once or twice in my life. Er that is I got turned around lysdexic upside down loosening something up and tightened it. I swear I didn't even really wail on it very hard but sos I spun the threads right out of a Bosch oil filter Hopefully them Germans are smart enough to make the oil filters threads of pot metal and the motor stem threads of something harder.

Looks like the pan or part of the pan is going to have to come off. Any thoughts?
The pan removal is straight forward - no gasket just sealant. I looked in the parts list and did not see the oil filter spigot listed so not sure if it comes out or not. If it is removable and damaged I have one I can send you from a trashed engine.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 10 Old May 15th, 2012, 11:12 am Thread Starter

Jzeiler, thanks for the offer. Hope that I don't have to take you up on it. Won't be able to get back to it until weekend. After talking to a friend at work today, I Have a feeling the can is busted loose from the filter base. We'll see.
post #6 of 10 Old May 15th, 2012, 6:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybolz
Jzeiler, thanks for the offer. Hope that I don't have to take you up on it. Won't be able to get back to it until weekend. After talking to a friend at work today, I Have a feeling the can is busted loose from the filter base. We'll see.
If that is the case you should be able to pull it out and then get up there witha good glove on to get the base out. Here's hoping.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 10 Old May 16th, 2012, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Well, twern't that bigga deal. The Bosch Filter and Stamped Filter wrench must have been at their minimum and maximum spec size. After closer daylight scrutiny it became apparent that the filter wasn't turning at all and the filter wrench was jump humping the filter. Drove two holes in the bottom of the filter twisted in a pair of lag screws and twisted that baby right out. Made dang sure I didn't over tighten the new filter and next time I won't snooze on lucy lefty.
post #8 of 10 Old May 16th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Joey, I am probably stating the obvious, but do you know if you have the right wrench? From my experience with the LT's and the few oil wrenches I had, they mate rather tight to the filter body.

Now, there is also a special wrench for the R-series and the new K-series, and it is different from the K1200. Hopefully it's not what you have.

Robert.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #9 of 10 Old May 16th, 2012, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

I bought the 12000 mile maintenance kit along with the wrench, a case of Bosch filters, and a service manual from one of the vendors on this site.
post #10 of 10 Old May 17th, 2012, 3:53 pm

.................and I thought this thread was about me!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in