Tires-Avon Storm 2 Ultra Rear on 05LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old May 14th, 2012, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

Tires-Avon Storm 2 Ultra Rear on 05LT

Bought my 05 LT from list member last fall. Flew from Santa Barbara to Raleigh NC to pick it up. Avon Storms front and rear and were brand new. Rode across country in August 90F+ heat, rode two up and luggage lots of miles, rear wore out after about 6K miles with some tread but going on a trip. Lots of tread on front so replaced rear with Storm 2 Ultra to match front, Radial Service rating 79V (reinforced), same as Metz 880's and Bridgestone 020s,but both are bias tires. Come to find out, Storm 2 Ultra not "authorized" for 04-2010 KLT by Avon (or BMW) but ok for 1999-03!!. I have an email into Avonmoto asking why. Per local service department, BMW ONLY recommends Metz 880 ($$$$$) and Bridge 020's ($$$$) for ALL LT's. I haven't put any miles on new rear YET and shop will change to ME880 BUT 880 is bias and Avon front is radial and should not be mixed which would mean I'd have to buy a new ME880 front to match-more $$$$! I had 6000 happy miles on Avon front and rear, scrapping side/center stand but now concerned - should I be???

Sooooooo-what's up with Avon rear on 04+++KLT's?? And I read on the list about the change in steering geometry for low speed handling in 2004-2010 but what's that got to do with 2 lane black top and freeway speeds??

Anyone got FACTS???

Spiceman
O5 LT
07 R12GS
02 K12rs
89 R100GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old May 14th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Re: Tires-Avon Storm 2 Ultra Rear on 05LT

I'm pretty sure it's because the radial MAY rub the swingarm on the 2004 and newer. I'd presume it's the same reason Bridgestone stopped making the BT020 radial and now only makes the bias ply.

Someone will answer about the mixing of radial and bias but I can tell you to not be concerned about mixing brands (at least if both are bias ply). I have an ME880 up front and a BT020 on the rear and have run the combo before.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old May 14th, 2012, 5:06 pm

I'm pretty sure a lot of guys are using the storm 2 on the rear so someone should be chiming in soon

post #4 of 21 Old May 14th, 2012, 5:36 pm

We all know this is an expensive hobby. Don't go cheap on tires. My '05 has 69K miles, all Metzler 880's. I get about 12K per set, ride like I stole it!

I see no reason for me to experiment with another brand for the sake of a few $$$.

Pay the piper, buy tires that are recommended for the LT.

Be safe.
post #5 of 21 Old May 14th, 2012, 6:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The real reason is the front end rake angle change. Avon has stated they feel the tire is too unstable on the later models. There was an issue with Bridgestone radials that involved delamination which let to rubbing on the swingarm.

Bottom line is to run radials safely on a motorcycle the suspention must be designed for it. BMW made changes in the 05 model year wich did not meet this requirement.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old May 14th, 2012, 9:38 pm

I have run Avon Storms on my '02 since they came out. The original Storms were a bit, shall we say, twitchy. They would fall into corners and track like they were on rails. However, it was un-nerving until I got used to it. Lean over 10 or 15 degrees and all of a sudden the bike would drop into the corner. That would be bad with the 05 and newer geometry.
That said, the Storm 2 tires are not the same. They are very mild mannered and predictable. They don't seem to handle any differently than the $$$ Metzlers did.
The Storm2 still hangs on like crazy in the wet and seems to wear a bit better than the originals.
I wish I had some originals, they were more fun
Around 10k front 12k rear, you fun may vary.

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #7 of 21 Old May 15th, 2012, 4:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualbmw
. Come to find out, Storm 2 Ultra not "authorized" for 04-2010 KLT by Avon (or BMW) but ok for 1999-03!!. I have an email into Avonmoto asking why. Per local service department, BMW ONLY recommends Metz 880 ($$$$$) and Bridge 020's ($$$$) for ALL LT's.
Last fall we bought a 2000 LT that needed a rear tire badly. When I started checking around online I found the Storm 2's. I had Avons on a Concours before and thought they were great, so I wanted to try them again.

I kept getting mixed signals about using them, so I called Louisville (KY) BMW, the nearest dealership, and spoke with the Service Dept. Manager. I asked him if I could run radials, the Storms, on this bike. His reply was yes, I could up to '04. I asked him what the difference was, or how did he know radials were OK on earlier years, but not later years. He said he had a chart from BMW that told which bikes could switch to radials and which could not.

I took his word as the gospel in this case, and put the Storms on. So far they are great with about 500 miles on them. But I don't think I would put them on a newer model, based on the info this guy gave me.

Be careful!

Biknut

2000 K1200LT

Previous Rides (in reverse order, since 1974):

'95 Kawasaki Concours
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'80 Honda CM 400E
'73 Honda XL 250
'69 Honda CL 175

post #8 of 21 Old May 15th, 2012, 11:03 am

If you motorcycle off-road, do you use the LT or a dirt bike?

If you drive mostly at night, do you live with stock lighting or do you add driving lamps, fog cutters and other lights to make your trips safe?

If you drive a Mercedes 300SL, do you put off-road tires on the car?

Tires have a purpose. You wouldn't put knobbies on an LT... OK, maybe you would... But I would never put an Avon on a bike that is going from one side of the country to the other when most of the travel is on open highways.

The Avon is a sticky tire. It's also a RADIAL. It's basic design is for cornering and wet or slushy conditions. You want a tire to go from L.A. to Florida? Metzler. The Metz is a harder compound tire that wears well on long stretches. It's a Bias-ply tire and it can handle the loads and the high heat generated by long open roads under loaded conditions.

The Bridgestone is an intermediate tire. It's also a Bias-ply, but the tread combination is slightly softer than a Metz.

So... if you plan on riding the LT and want to drag your foot pegs, Avons. If you want to do the 2600 miles in 12 hours Iron Butt ride (not my cuppa tea, but no offense meant to those who do these grueling rides), then Metz may be the best option.

As to Avons on an '04 and up??? Crapola... I been on Avons on an '06 for a couple of years now.... Best damn tire for traveling the curves and wet in the High Sierras that I have ever been on. I switch to Metz when I hit the roads that are as straight as my... um... well... straight as an arrow.

ymmv... my .02 cents... nuff said.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #9 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2013, 3:15 am

I confirm : Avon to feel safe and drive a motorcycle, even on a 05 model, Metz for long distance on dry and hot conditions on an aircraft carrier like motorcycle.
post #10 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2013, 5:26 am

I have a serious question regarding tyre (tire) performance in the wet. How does one come to make the statement "hangs on like crazy in the wet". My experience is only as follows - dry conditions, bike will easily scrape the pegs on good clean tar regardless of whether a BS or a Metz is residing on the rear, but my '05 seems to have an automatic lean angle limiter that kicks in when the road becomes wet. I don't know where this item lives on the bike but it seems to work Correct me id I'm wrong, but the line between wet grip and wet slip is very narrow on our bikes with our tyres, so I try not to go there and the only way I know to do that is to ride (corners) conservatively in the wet. All comments, flames etc welcomed.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #11 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2013, 4:25 pm

I did a cut away on my old Storm 2 today to see just what it was made of. It had about 10k on it when it was retired from service. I use them and love the traction! I sure hope they dont discontinue them any time soon!! Mine stick and hang on like crazy in the rain and what I mean by that is with the old 880s I used to be able to peel out in 1st and second from a stop. Now the only time I can get them to slip is when I am off roading or on wet tar snakes and rubber railroad crossings. They inspire confidence!
Thats my story and I am sticking to it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130610_160826_014.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	38768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130610_160854_383.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	38769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130610_160907_303.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1,020.6 KB
ID:	38770  

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #12 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 10:15 am

I'm currently running an Ultra 2 on the back for the 1st time. I have about 1,500 miles on it as of now. Started out with 44 psi, things weren't bad, seemed to drop into corners a little quicker than bias. Let the pressure go down to 42 psi, and when getting caught on the interstate passing two semi's and cars all around, the air turbulence made the bike a little squirrely. Yes, I did pucker a 'little'. Pumped it up to 46 psi, and now things to be a lot better. It I can get 10,000 miles out of this tire, I think its going to be a keeper, considering the cost difference between it and the Metz's. I used to get about 12,500 out of the Metz's, but the last one only got 8,000. Not sure what's going on there. Anyway, what psi are you guys running in the Ultra on the back?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 10:41 am

I run 40F 44-46R

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #14 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualbmw
Bought my 05 LT from list member last fall. Flew from Santa Barbara to Raleigh NC to pick it up. Avon Storms front and rear and were brand new. Rode across country in August 90F+ heat, rode two up and luggage lots of miles, rear wore out after about 6K miles with some tread but going on a trip. Lots of tread on front so replaced rear with Storm 2 Ultra to match front, Radial Service rating 79V (reinforced), same as Metz 880's and Bridgestone 020s,but both are bias tires. Come to find out, Storm 2 Ultra not "authorized" for 04-2010 KLT by Avon (or BMW) but ok for 1999-03!!. I have an email into Avonmoto asking why. Per local service department, BMW ONLY recommends Metz 880 ($$$$$) and Bridge 020's ($$$$) for ALL LT's. I haven't put any miles on new rear YET and shop will change to ME880 BUT 880 is bias and Avon front is radial and should not be mixed which would mean I'd have to buy a new ME880 front to match-more $$$$! I had 6000 happy miles on Avon front and rear, scrapping side/center stand but now concerned - should I be???

Sooooooo-what's up with Avon rear on 04+++KLT's?? And I read on the list about the change in steering geometry for low speed handling in 2004-2010 but what's that got to do with 2 lane black top and freeway speeds??

Anyone got FACTS???
The suspension change was in 05. I run radials on my 04..And just got thru a 1,000+ mile trip with lots of twisties 2 up with no issues. But I know their are members who run AV 56's on 05 and up.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Looks like most if you guys over the water run the Avon's, especially the rear over the recommended pressure, the side wall on both front and back states 42psi max (cold)

I had a rear blow out with 50% tread left and just over 2,300 miles on it (ran over some steel banding and caused my wife and I to loose some weight instantly )
However the front was run at BMW's recommended 36psi and is knackered after 2,300 miles.............

Both tyres have been replaced today and I plan to test them at 42psi F & R for a few hundred miles. Fully loaded 55% of the time, two up 40% of the time and just me about 5%

What's your opinion? 36 front or higher.

Metzeler's did not work for me here in the UK when cold and wet, I lacked confidence in them and switched to Avon storms, the storm 2's and now on the bikes 4th set, and only 27,000 miles on the clock.

Cheers

Stephen
post #16 of 21 Old Aug 9th, 2013, 8:51 pm

I put a set of Storm 2 Ultras on my '07 LT and had the front tire wear out on the left side only at less than 5,000 miles. No one knew why it wore out that way or why so quickly. The rear was getting down so I put a new set on. At about 1,000 miles the rear blew out on the freeway. I saw no nail or other external sign of a puncture. They're supposed to have a warranty to cover these but Cooper Tire said that they were not made for this bike so they would not cover anything. When asked why one of their authorized dealers put the tires on the bike if they are not made for the bike they couldn't tell me. I took the front off and went back to 880s. Any one want an almost new front tire?
post #17 of 21 Old Aug 9th, 2013, 11:19 pm

I've run at least 10 sets of Avon Storm 2 Ultras on my '05LT. Comfy ride, no problems with them in about 65K, wife is almost always on back, and we're loaded with luggage half of the time. Good traction, only last about 5-6K. I figure they last 75% as long as Metzelers, and cost 75% as much, so it's a wash. I have my own tire changer so I can pop them off at will. The bike kind of wanders a bit when tires are new, I guess it's part of the reason BMW doesn't recommend them, but have never had a scary moment with that issue, and have had them over 120mph (don't tell my wife). Just wish I knew what to do with this monster stack of worn out tires behind my shop. Waiting for a tire amnesty day at the recycler.

BMRBOB
post #18 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinredfox
We all know this is an expensive hobby. Don't go cheap on tires. My '05 has 69K miles, all Metzler 880's. I get about 12K per set, ride like I stole it!

I see no reason for me to experiment with another brand for the sake of a few $$$.

Be safe.
I agree total here, I ride it hard and the metz hold up great.
post #19 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinredfox

Be safe.
I agree totally here, I ride it hard and the metz hold up great.
post #20 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2013, 5:34 am

I wore out two sets of Avon Storms on my 05 and loved them. I got decent mileage and they handled well. I didn't like the wear pattern on the last set so I went back to Bridgestones. I've always had good luck with them.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #21 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Tires are a very personal choice. I firmly believe that no two people ride exactly the same way, no two bikes are set up exactly the same way, and no two people value things exactly the same way.

Some are willing to try a different tire, looking for better performance, better wear, better something. Others will stick to the tried-and-true at all times. You just have to make up your own mind, understanding that not everyone will agree.

For myself, I use the Avon Storm 2's on my '99. I do not ride 1000 miles/day long trips. My riding is 250-300 miles/day weekend trips, fully loaded. I prize the wet handling (rains a lot in FL) and am willing to give up wear in order to get it. Still satisfied after 16 months & 6000 miles.

Others may prefer other tires, I will not say they are wrong or foolish.

Current:
2006 BMW K1200LT
2010 BMW R1200RT
Previous:
1999 BMW K1200LT
2007 Yamaha FZ6
1986 Suzuki GS550L
1985 Suzuki GS650L
1977 Kawasaki KZ650
1975 Kawasaki F7
1973 Honda CB175

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in