Plug Wires on '05 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 14th, 2012, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Plug Wires on '05 LT

As I continue to accumulate parts and farkles for my upcoming clutch replacement, 12k service, etc., I wonder whether I should replace my plug wires, too.

Bike only has about 31k on it, but fuel economy is not so great and occasionally stutters if left idling. If riding, runs great, even if I can only coax 43-45 out of it (according to BC) on highway at about 65-70.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 14th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Cool Re: Plug Wires on '05 LT

My 05 BC has never showed more then 42-44 mpg since the 12K service, when pre service BC showed 47-49 mpg.

actual (on odometer) Average miles/tank is 290-300 consistent tank to tank. So I just ignore BC numbers. I use a small squirt of startron additive on most fill-ups. There is a marina ( I even saw a boat there) close by that sells ethanol free fuel, and it can be purchased in a container that will be removed from the site. They presume it will be for boat engines. (I am told they have some rules) when a friend asked if they had a container he could borrow for a few min. they just laughed. Have not filled up yet with this but will report if there is any great improvement.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #3 of 3 Old May 14th, 2012, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Re: Plug Wires on '05 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
My 05 BC has never showed more then 42-44 mpg since the 12K service, when pre service BC showed 47-49 mpg.

actual (on odometer) Average miles/tank is 290-300 consistent tank to tank. So I just ignore BC numbers. I use a small squirt of startron additive on most fill-ups. There is a marina ( I even saw a boat there) close by that sells ethanol free fuel, and it can be purchased in a container that will be removed from the site. They presume it will be for boat engines. (I am told they have some rules) when a friend asked if they had a container he could borrow for a few min. they just laughed. Have not filled up yet with this but will report if there is any great improvement.
Good to know, thanks!

I have been putting Lucas in with my fuel for the past 800 or so miles based on a recommendation from a friend who said to do it for a thousand miles. We will see. I will start doing the math on my fill-ups to see how far off the BC mileage is...

As I recall from my boat ownership days... gas in the marina was MUCH more expensive than at a regular pump. It was close to a dollar a gallon higher back when gas was under $2 at "regular" stations.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in