Wiring Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 12th, 2012, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Wiring Help

HI All,,

VERRRRY long story short... I am replacing the right hand swicth gear on my UK spec 1999 K1200LT.

The previous owner had an alarm fitted, this was removed by the garage I bought the bike from as it was defective.

On removing the old switch gear, I have found two wires in the main 'bundle' to the switch have been cut and taped (brown and brown/black)....and another pair that have been run up from the relay box under the fuel tank. These have been soldered into the main switch gear, but I have been un able to get the switch gear apart to see what they solder to.

OK... fitted the switch gear...every thing works...EXCEPT The starter button!

With the ignition on, every thing primes as it should... If I now touch the end of the two wires that have been run up from the relay box together, BINGO... the bike starts.

So.. I am guessing the extra pair have been used to bypass something... any ideas how I get round this?

If I splice them into the wires from the starter button....what colour wires feed the starter button?
HELP!!! Pulling my hair out with this now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 12th, 2012, 12:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Wiring Help

Hang on let me take a look at my diagrams. I am sure we can find a solution.

OK for a Euro spec 99LT I show the starter button to have a Green/Violet and a Black/Yellow from the switch gear. My diagrams do not show a factory option for an alarm so no telling what has actually bee done here. The Green/Violet goes to the starter relay under the fuel tank. Looks like the Brown and the Brown/Black are to the BC switch in the switch gear. Make sense if you don't have the board computer option on the bike.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; May 12th, 2012 at 12:53 pm.
post #3 of 12 Old May 12th, 2012, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Jzeiler.... quick update.. I (maybe foolishly!) I snipped the brown and brown/black wires on the new switch gear and spliced in the 'spare' pair of wires that seem to be wired directly to my starter motor. I had tested them with a multimeter so I know which is live and which is earth.... The starter button still does nothing...BUT....if i press the BC button the bike cranks over! So.... I am guessing the brown/black and brown are a feed to the BC button...not the starter button!

I am guessing that all of the solid brown wires are all earth/ground? So... once i have found the live feed to the starter button, it doesn't matter which earth wire I splice into?

I feel such a novice at the moment!!!

post #4 of 12 Old May 12th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Hey you are doing great - you figured out the BC switch wires before I did! I suppose you could leave it that way and use the BC putton to start the bike. Just make sure reverse works as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old May 12th, 2012, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

I do have the BC though....And switched lights.... I REALLY hope I haven't screwed this up!

I could leave it that way....but one of the reasons for changing the switch gear over was so that I could have use of the BC button rather than leaning forward to scroll through the menu....
post #6 of 12 Old May 13th, 2012, 10:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Just a thought: Is the sidestand down? That may explain why the starter button doesn't appear to work. When you wire into the BC wiring you are bypassing the sidestand switch.

Motor On ,/'

post #7 of 12 Old May 19th, 2012, 1:12 am Thread Starter

Hi all, quick update... Managed to get the bike running, I spliced in the pair of black wires that had been fitted aftermarket as part of the alarm into the starter button of the new switch gear and BINGO... Bike started and BC button still works. BUT....now the digital clock and gear indicator has stopped working! I have purchased a new clock unit and plugged it in but that won't work either... So must be a signal fault feeding the clock? There is a surprisingly large bundle of wires feeding the plug that plugs into the clock... Can anyone tell me what these wires link to so that I can trace back and check each piece of equipment and try and fault find to see what is stopping the clock and gear indicator from working... Thanks guys!
post #8 of 12 Old May 19th, 2012, 6:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am on a road trip and don't have my diagrams with me. I will check Sunday night when I get back.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 12 Old May 19th, 2012, 7:01 am Thread Starter

Jzeiler.... You are a star of the finest order! Thank you!
post #10 of 12 Old May 20th, 2012, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Hi... just some more info about the problem I am experiencing and also a new set of problems.

The bike went into the garage for a new clutch in Feb - just got in back a week ago owing to numerous issues along the way!!!

I also had to change the right hand switch gear and found the pair of black wires as stated above.

I also replaced the side stand switch as this had also failed (chafed wire).

I managed to get the bike running - BUT the gear indicator and digital clock didnt work.

While riding it to work over the last few days some new problems have cropped up...

The indicators have been intermittant - some times working fine, other times not at all...or flashing fast.

The tail lights have flickered.

The headlight has flickered from time to time... I have an HID kit fitted which has worked trouble free for the last 4 years.

My LED daylight running lights powered by the feed to the sidelight also have been flickering.

The radio would sometimes switch on but would not switch off unless I isolated the ignition.

And today... the bike now wont start at all... It started... then just cut out after 30seconds... the electrics remained on though...

When I turn the ignition on... all the electrics light up... BUT the fuel pump doesn't prime.

I have checked all of the ground connections I can find... and all of the connectors and fuses and all are fine..

I haven't checked the ground from the load shed relay to the back of the starter motor yet.

Could ALL of these problems be linked to the load shed relay either being faulty or not grounded / earthed correctly?????

I am thinking that the starter motor and all of its connections would have been removed with the transmission when the clutch was replaced.. I am thinking it is feasible that the connection was not done up tightly and has slowly worked its way loose over the last few days of riding on bumpy roads??????

If not this ground connection... what else could it be????

As always ladies and gents... your infinte wisdom is needed and very much appreciated!

Andy
post #11 of 12 Old May 20th, 2012, 4:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Andy, Was this done by a BMW dealer or other shop? Often they don't get the grounds set up correctly and this causes all sorts of trouble. Remove all brown wires connected to frame parts and return them to the battery (-) terminal. The only place brownwires should be attached is the grounding tie point behind the battery a nd the brown wire that connects to the top of the transmission cover near the starter. I have seen all sorts of issues whne this was not done correctly.

Also the Fuse F5 feeds the clock though pin one of the big connetor with a wire color of Red/Black.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 12 Old May 20th, 2012, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

The work on the clutch was done by a.n.other bike mechanic shop. All of the grounds 'appear' to be connected to the tie down points...but I am not totally sure that what I see is the right picture if that makes sense?

I will take a few pics in the morning of what is currently connected and post them up on here... see if that sheds any light....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in