Not sure how this happened? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 12th, 2012, 11:42 am Thread Starter

Not sure how this happened?

I'm riding home from work and apply a little brake to turn into my road and I hear the awfullest sound coming from under the bike. It started out as a loud grinding noise that fairly quickly got softer and softer until it was all together gone. So I've now slowed to a crawl and I notice the ABS lights have started flashing so after a quick inspection I find that a bolt had worked its way out of the rear caliper(I just recently replaced my FD) and the previously mentioned grinding noise was the ABS sensor being ground to nothing against the ring. Not sure if the bolt wasn't tight enough or what I did wrong but I was shocked that the bolt backed out. So I've ordered the rear sensor but I'm unsure what the part # for the bolt is. I've looked at some fiches but for the life of me I can't find the bolt I need and I'm wondering if the bolts holding the caliper on are the same size or different? If any of you guys would chime in and let me know what the part numbers is it would be greatly appreciated. Devin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 12th, 2012, 11:46 am
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Not sure how this happened?

The rear caliper has two different bolts. The rear bolt has a shoulder & the front bolt has no shoulder but uses a washer instead. Which one did you loose ?.

Shoulder bolt 34511457496

Standard bolt 34512310887

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old May 12th, 2012, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

I'm beginning to think this might of been stupidity on my part. The bolt that fell out was the furthest forward bolt but the other bolt I took off to remove the caliper(rear hole) had the washer on it and if I understand you correctly had the shoulder as well. Did I just get the bolts mixed up and the washer on the wrong bolt when putting it back together? You know what they say, some people are stuck on stupid and you can't fix stupid.

post #4 of 5 Old May 13th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpittman
I'm beginning to think this might of been stupidity on my part. The bolt that fell out was the furthest forward bolt but the other bolt I took off to remove the caliper(rear hole) had the washer on it and if I understand you correctly had the shoulder as well. Did I just get the bolts mixed up and the washer on the wrong bolt when putting it back together? You know what they say, some people are stuck on stupid and you can't fix stupid.
The bolt with the shoulder will not go all the way in the hole for the bolt without the shoulder. I don't think it will fit at all if I remember correctly.
Ever since I had a bolt on my forward caliper back out on me, I use loctite on all the caliper bolts. Mine didn't come all the way out though....

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #5 of 5 Old May 13th, 2012, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I absolutely am going to use a little loctite when I get a replacement bolt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in