Directional/Blinker use tricks? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 5:00 am Thread Starter

Directional/Blinker use tricks?

I notice that a long time after a turn is executed, the directional blinkers on an LT finallly go off without having to hit the right thumb "blinker off" reset button. Is there some potentiometer on some "TDDE" time delay de energize relay or something that you can tweak on to shorten that time with or some other secret, like a sensor of when a turn is complete to install to stop the blinking cycle than such frequent use of the thumb switch? Thanks; Greg.

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 6:00 am

Re: Directional/Blinker use tricks?

Cancelling the blinker with the right switch has become a habit. I do it automatically now. If the blinks were any shorter they'd go off too soon for some of my left turns at speed..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #3 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 8:12 am

The self cancelling turn signals were first introduced on the K100 in 1983 (I think). In the riders handbook for that model there is a lengthy explanation for the operating logic, it is much more than just counting the flashes, the system has quite a few inputs, one being from the speedometer, if the bike is stopped the flashers will continue to operate until a certain speed is reached, presuming I guess that the turn has been completed, etc, etc. I don't think any mods to the operating control logic would be easily possible. Just train your brain to speak to your right thumb.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic

post #4 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 8:27 am

Talking Re: Directional/Blinker use tricks?

Yep, I too have my brain trained to use the right thumb button after every turn.

At highway speeds it will cancel to early so I hit the turn button again before reaching the turn, then as soon as I turn my thumb does it's thing.

I think at slow speeds in town, it's REALLY important to cancel the signal as soon as you finish your turn since others may think you're going to turn at the next block and you don't because your signal is still blinking. Not a good thing in my opinion.

It is nice that it'll continue to blink at a left turn stop.

Just my .02 cents worth on the subject.
Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
Yep, I too have my brain trained to use the right thumb button after every turn.

At highway speeds it will cancel to early so I hit the turn button again before reaching the turn, then as soon as I turn my thumb does it's thing.

I think at slow speeds in town, it's REALLY important to cancel the signal as soon as you finish your turn since others may think you're going to turn at the next block and you don't because your signal is still blinking. Not a good thing in my opinion.

+1

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 9:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern

Just my .02 cents worth on the subject.
Vern
+2 Like many others, I've trained myself to turn them off with my thumb. I look at the canceling feature as a "back up" system.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #7 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 12:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

At speed you get about 13 flashes before it self cancels. Below 25 MPH (guesstimate) it will stay on forever.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 4:53 pm

....and then when you get your K1600, you get to retrain your muscle memory! one switch on the left side.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I still find myself looking for it. Works the same except that it is one switch.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 5:01 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
....and then when you get your K1600, you get to retrain your muscle memory! one switch on the left side.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I still find myself looking for it. Works the same except that it is one switch.
I know what you mean Dan. When I first got my LT I didn't like the left & right paddle switches. Now when I ride another bike I find out how much I'm spoiled.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Have two BMWs with self-cancelling signals and still figuring out exactly how it works - what my experience tells me are two things:

1. there is a distance component, if you come to a stop, the distance seems to be reset to zero and start over. I have read that the number is 200m, but I cannot verify that.

2. Others have mentioned it is speed specific and I agree, it also seems to be triggered off by increasing speed, especially when I shift from 1 to 2 through neutral. Often I find myself in situations where I signal a turn and slow to 1st gear speed , then accelerate again to 2nd and the blinker goes off regardless of how far I have traveled.

I wish someone had a iron-clad answer to this because my curiosity has been aroused about this for a few years now and can't exactly figure it out with precision. It seems that whenever I test a theory I can't always get the same result so there is obviously a factor that I am unaware of aside from the two I mentioned.
post #11 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCCC1
I notice that a long time after a turn is executed, the directional blinkers on an LT finallly go off without having to hit the right thumb "blinker off" reset button. Is there some potentiometer on some "TDDE" time delay de energize relay or something that you can tweak on to shorten that time with or some other secret, like a sensor of when a turn is complete to install to stop the blinking cycle than such frequent use of the thumb switch? Thanks; Greg.
This was discussed years ago. Same ideas suggested, number of flashes, etc.

Someone said that the turn signal auto cancels after a set distance. I've forgotten the distance, maybe 0.3 miles or something. I wonder if they were correct so I paid attention while riding, and sure enough, it seems the bike cancels after a preset distance.
Try it, I suspect you'll reach the same conclusion unless BMW changed the system in later models.

I never heard of any method of changing the setting.

So never mind counting flashes, the flash interval is constant, the variable is distance and the number of flashes and duration before auto cancel is directly related to speed.

Last edited by CharlieVT; May 12th, 2012 at 7:37 pm.
post #12 of 19 Old May 12th, 2012, 11:06 pm

In a "previous life" I rode a 1984 Honda V65 Magna. According to my Clymer the bike came out with self cancelling signals, but mine never worked. If memory serves correctly, the Clymer said that the "blink time" was based on several things- speed, lean angle, time, maybe some other factors.

Since the LT's we are riding now are 20 years or so newer, and technology has advanced at break-neck speed, I would bet that the signals on these bikes use all of these factors plus a plethora of others. There are now ECU's for several different systems that weren't around in the mid-80's. I'm guessing they are WAY more complicated now than they were then!

Biknut

2000 K1200LT

Previous Rides (in reverse order, since 1974):

'95 Kawasaki Concours
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'80 Honda CM 400E
'73 Honda XL 250
'69 Honda CL 175

post #13 of 19 Old May 13th, 2012, 8:15 am

If you hold the BC button while turning the key on and then shift into first gear then hit the man button on the radio then turn on the high beam ..you can then set the amount of time delay by using the seek button.
Your results may vary!
post #14 of 19 Old May 13th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones1955
If you hold the BC button while turning the key on and then shift into first gear then hit the man button on the radio then turn on the high beam ..you can then set the amount of time delay by using the seek button.
Your results may vary!
Can you do all that with just two hands?

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #15 of 19 Old May 13th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones1955
Your results may vary!
I tried this today. It only works if the bike is in reverse with the hazard lights flashing

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #16 of 19 Old May 13th, 2012, 9:03 pm

I tried it, it works on 1 side only, so you need to have the hazard lights flashing and then do it, that way it resets both sides at once. Oh, and it only works if you run Mobil 1 in the engine and you are at a Walmart car park.. That's why we can't change it here in Oz

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #17 of 19 Old May 13th, 2012, 9:09 pm

post #18 of 19 Old May 14th, 2012, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I will merely train my brain to just sub consciously command the right thumb to go UP to the almost weird location, to push the cancel button automatially, robotically when a turn has finished being executed, while so much is going on, in traffic, all at once and scanning for post turn dangers as well. Must become second nature/habit. Great humor too!!! Changed my first low beam H7 bulb yesterday. Went with the regular one, not the super brights, only because of the higher reliability factor and besides, I already did the Don Muddiman, $40 autozone aux lighting idea. Greg.

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
post #19 of 19 Old May 14th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCCC1
...I will merely train my brain to just sub consciously command the right thumb to go UP to the almost weird location, to push the cancel button...
Being 'of a certain age' and having ridden for decades before the invention of automatic turn signals, it has become second nature. The challenge no longer to use the reflex to cancel the signals, but to summon the memory of which bike I am riding and where they put the fool switch...

Quote:
...when a turn has finished being executed, while so much is going on, in traffic, all at once and scanning for post turn dangers as well.
Well, don't be in such a hurry to cancel the signals! Once you are past the danger point, go ahead and cancel the signal.

Beside, nobody else is watching your signals anyway!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in