Cup holder, LT, cheap. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 2:12 am Thread Starter

Cup holder, LT, cheap.

I spent $1500 on new Ohlins shocks. I run on Metzelers. I bought Don Muddimans armrests. I'd really like one of those $59.00 after market cup holders. Or, better yet, a real BMW factory engineered, $160.00, cup holder. But they sell thousands of regular ones at truck stops for about $1.29. So I bought one. And about $2.50 worth of Velcro strap and strapped one onto the TOP of my right handlebar. Do the velcro in a cross pattern, use 3; seven to eight inch strips of it. Make 'em tight. It doesn't spill for me, it's stable, it works and it's cheap!!! Greg Machak. (see pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	544169_10150774028096573_504541572_9873140_123378251_n.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	35205   Click image for larger version

Name:	531253_10150774026221573_504541572_9873135_137713428_n.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	35206  

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 6:04 am

Re: Cup holder, LT, cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCCC1
I spent $1500 on new Ohlins shocks. I run on Metzelers. I bought Don Muddimans armrests. I'd really like one of those $59.00 after market cup holders. Or, better yet, a real BMW factory engineered, $160.00, cup holder. But they sell thousands of regular ones at truck stops for about $1.29. So I bought one. And about $2.50 worth of Velcro strap and strapped one onto the TOP of my right handlebar. Do the velcro in a cross pattern, use 3; seven to eight inch strips of it. Make 'em tight. It doesn't spill for me, it's stable, it works and it's cheap!!! Greg Machak. (see pictures)
But can you drink it with that helmet?

Something about a cupholder seems to be in direct conflict with my ATGATT tendencies. But perhaps it's because I haven't had the bike long enough. Cruise control on, feet hanging up and over the J-pegs, Color TeeVee on the BMR copilot shelf, DoubleGulp in the cupholder....

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #3 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Good point! I just brought the cup of 7up home from a Chipolte's. I could only drink from that when stopped. I really only ride and drink from the water bottles that have the syrup dispenser caps on them, available at most any gas station. Greg.

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321

post #4 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 7:04 am

mmmmm syrup.......

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
Something about a cupholder seems to be in direct conflict with my ATGATT tendencies...
Same here, but to each his own I guess. If I'm going on a long ride and think I may need to drink on the fly, I put on a CamelBak. Loading it up with ice helps maintain a cool micro-climate under my riding jacket too.
post #6 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by amindtat
Same here, but to each his own I guess. If I'm going on a long ride and think I may need to drink on the fly, I put on a CamelBak. Loading it up with ice helps maintain a cool micro-climate under my riding jacket too.
Saaay, I LIKE that idea (and have a camelbak, too)...My biggest guilty admission is: sometimes I ride with the modular helmet up...it's just so much nicer that way. I've half considered buying a 3/4 helmet to replace it, but that's just a step too far. My face ain't pretty, and what face I have, I'd like to keep.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #7 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 9:52 am

Own a US-made car and learned there has to be "cup holders" enough, but somehow seems hard to compute how to drink coffee or what ever from a cup while driving a bike. Bottle I do understand Aaand - i do have a bottle holder in mine...

Born to be wild so why not

post #8 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 11:14 am

I have an OEM BMW cupholder I will sell for $80 shipped to 48 C States.

PM me if interested

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #9 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 12:30 pm

Here's my fix; it was relatively inexpensive and it's versatile: Get a RAM mount brake/clutch reservoir 1" center ball cover base ($23, you can also get a side ball); minimum 3" double socket arm ($13), and the cup holder from www.expressmounts.com ($13 or $16, depending on which you want). I also have a waterproof iPhone holder that works really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cup holder.JPG
Views:	1522
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	35210  

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)

Last edited by L_Rudy; May 11th, 2012 at 4:12 pm.
post #10 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Garage

I think cup holders are over rated.
Motorcycling is a very unique form of outdoor entertainment and adventure. And we could each do it any way we please! And forget ATGATT for the time being and consider the great expense of money and engineering to put handlebar, and front wheel BALANCED ok you see where I am going with this two cup holders maybe. But upset this equilibrium just for cup of coffee or pop/soda/beer it just does not compute. A camelbak, bottle /straw in pocket or all you care to carry on pillion seat but not mess with the guidance and handling even a little. That's my 0.03
ride safe
post #11 of 17 Old May 11th, 2012, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amindtat
I'm gonna have to get a camelback too.

BMW MOA# 180321
post #12 of 17 Old May 15th, 2012, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Rudy
Here's my fix; it was relatively inexpensive and it's versatile: Get a RAM mount brake/clutch reservoir 1" center ball cover base ($23, you can also get a side ball); minimum 3" double socket arm ($13), and the cup holder from www.expressmounts.com ($13 or $16, depending on which you want). I also have a waterproof iPhone holder that works really well.
That looks great!!!

BMW MOA# 180321
post #13 of 17 Old May 15th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCCC1
Cup holder, LT, cheap.
I'm almost certain that somewhere in the bylaws
there's something that says you are not allowed to mention the words
LT and cheap in the same sentence
unless of course you are referring to the rider!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 17 Old May 16th, 2012, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
Something about a cupholder seems to be in direct conflict with my ATGATT tendencies...
I have a couple of these...

...laying around at work. I started thinking about them and how they would be easy to use with a full face helmet on. With a little creativity the cup holder could probably be mounted somewhere on the LT. The cup is insulated and fits pretty snug in the cup holder. Here's a link to the product if anyone is interested:

http://mealtimepartners.com/products...drink-aide.htm
post #15 of 17 Old May 16th, 2012, 10:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I'm almost certain that somewhere in the bylaws
there's something that says you are not allowed to mention the words
LT and cheap in the same sentence
unless of course you are referring to the rider!
Hans,

Is it Ok if we say "relatively inexpensive and it's versatile" ?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #16 of 17 Old May 16th, 2012, 2:38 pm

An old post, relevance being that the cupholder does not attach to the handlebar, and has no bearing on steering balance, and is darn inexpensive, and mega easy to attach, just lick and stick....tested to 110mph...didn't fall off!!

This is from a post I made in May of last year, I have been using this cupholder since before then, and have been using it constantly through now. I have used it for cold drinks on very hot days, and hot drinks on very cold days, it has NEVER fallen off or even thought about falling off. Yet is is a snap to remove when you don't need it. Plus it is out of the way and easy to access, and I doubt it would get near a tank bag...Cheap, and great product! (I'm a user, not the maker, seller, marketer, or commissioned sales!)
Oh, and no holes to drill or bolts to put on!

I bought a liquid caddy drink holder from Bass Pro online.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...__SearchResults
This is actually a pretty incredible item for $20. It comes with 4 different attachment bases, one for a handlebar (2 sizes), one clip base, one velcro strap with rubber backing base, and the suction cup base. The holder is actually well made, with a machine screw attaching device for the cup holder to the base. The forum entry that I initally saw, the LT owner had snaked the velcro strap around the handle bar near the brake reservoir, I tried that, but couldn't get it to go, even at that I was less than impressed with the holder hanging from the handlebar. I later tried the suction cup base on my windshield. those suction cups hold on like gangbusters! Only problems were that it was kind of hokey when I wanted to raise or lower the windshield. Lastly I tried putting the suction cup base on the side of the "gas tank" This has worked out great. It doesn't interfere with my knee when I ride, it doesn't clank around on the handlebar, and I can put it on either side of the bike. Just a little spit on the suction cups, and IT DOES NOT FALL OFF! It is also damn easy to take off and put on. I do it a lot, and it still hangs on at all speeds. I like it, and it really works for me. the holder can also extend from the bottom, to make it deeper for long items like water bottles and my coffee cup. Pretty cool!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...achmentid=27339
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...achmentid=27340

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 17 Old May 16th, 2012, 2:56 pm

For 8 or so years I had the official K1200LT BMW cup holder and it worked flawlessly. Wish that they made one for the K1600. I had to remember to oil all of the hinges (must have been at least 10) at every fluid change. I've got to say that it could not have been more complicated, BUT, it folded out of the way when not in use and always worked correctly.

The only objection was that it would not keep beverages hot or cold very long. Riding in Florida, one of the best ways to stay cool is to sip or gulp cold liquids often and for that, something like a Camelback seems to work best.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in