Old geezer magnets: LT's. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old May 8th, 2012, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Old geezer magnets: LT's.

When I as in my twenties, I believed that "middle age" began at 35. 50, would definitely qualify for an "old Geezer". Now that I am, I'm "only as old as I feel". Beautiful cliche.
I ask you this: Where are the young, new LT riders? I know there are some, but on this site, the median age isn't too low. About ten years ago the motorcycle industry was concerned about the statistic that not too many of the under 40 crowd were starting to ride, certainly, not enough to replace the over 40 getting out. When we were teens, even in the suburbs there were still many places to "legally ride" mini bikes and such. So we started. This may be a rehash of an old thread, but having tried the "search forums" 13 times now, I've never seen anything but "0 results found".

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 7:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Old geezer magnets: LT's.

I could never afford a bike like the LT in my 20's. In my 50's I have the time and resources to have the bike that not only fits me (I make my R80RT look like a mini-bike), it's the best bike I could own!

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 7:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I could never afford a bike like the LT in my 20's. In my 50's I have the time and resources to have the bike that not only fits me (I make my R80RT look like a mini-bike), it's the best bike I could own!

Have fun,
Jer
+1
I always wanted a bike like the LT even when I was 20 but didn't have the resources to afford it and take care of it so I went with the inexpensive cruisers from Honda and Kawasaki, etc.. Now in my 40's I get what I want, sorta like the old guy and the sports car cliche.

-Preston
‘02 K1200 LTC | ’94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #4 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 8:00 am

I'm 33 and have owned 5 different bikes prior to purchasing my new to me LT. I must say most enjoyable motorcycle I've ever owned. But all of you more mature riders are correct, I couldn't afford a new LT with a family and small children so I found a nice used one worth the money. Couldn't be happier.
post #5 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 8:39 am

58, don't have a clue how many I've had over the years but man do luv the LT........what's more important, my SO luv's it too...........It does put the spring back into the step.

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #6 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 8:45 am

According to Cisco's World Technology Report, September 2011, 2/3 of college students would rather have an internet connection than a car.

Given that more people would choose a car over a motorcycle it's no wonder that almost all the people I meet on the road riding motorcycles are "old geezers."

Just like me.

--Bob

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 8:59 am

There are other mitigating factors...between 26 and 30, the Wife and I dropped a good 80k between two Corvettes. Then she got pregnant and the toys got covered up for a good 6-8 years. I was 'too afraid of the risks' back then to even consider motorcycles.

Flash-forward to when I turned 40, and the motorcycle was _incredibly_ affordable, compared to the equivalent performance in a sportscar ($9k vs. $45k), and it was an excuse to start making decisions that 'weren't the wisest'...call it a mid-life crisis if you want, but it was the first truly selfish purchase I'd made since before the kids were born. the fact I couldn't HOPE to afford a sportscar after all the various bubbles popped has an effect, too.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #8 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Yep, it seems the newest 18-30 group would rather sit in front of a monitor than go anywhere. When they do travel most want to do it in a rolling living room. Mine haven't gotten MC endorsements yet but do ride pillion with me and enjoy it. Let's tout the benefits of experiencing the countryside not just viewing it from a bubble.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #9 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:16 am

I'm 41, and I've admired the LT since the day it came out. I didn't buy one at that time because a) I had just bought a new VT1100T (as a left over for $8500) and b) couldn't afford a new LT.
post #10 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

I grew up riding motorcycles (built my first by mounting a Briggs & Stratton engine on a bicycle at age 11). In my mid-twenties we had our second child and decided maybe I shouldn't be bombing around on a motorcycle with two babies at home. So I sold the bike for a down-payment on our first house. Fast forward fifteen years (1994 at age 40)...bought another bike and been riding ever since.

For me, it was more lifestyle than economics that kept me off of bikes until later in life.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 10:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Yep, it seems the newest 18-30 group would rather sit in front of a monitor than go anywhere. When they do travel most want to do it in a rolling living room. Mine haven't gotten MC endorsements yet but do ride pillion with me and enjoy it. Let's tout the benefits of experiencing the countryside not just viewing it from a bubble.
I think it really depends on where you are in life. In my teens, Dad would occasionally take me to the western slope of Colorado to go camping and fishing...and it didn't really do anything for me. Between 15 and 39, I hardly set foot in the hills, mostly because the main East West interstate (I-70) is a freekin' parkinglot on the weekends.

Last year I took three days and rode the million dollar highway (afoiding I-70 entirely). It was a life changing experience...it seemed like every five miles I'd be thinking "This is the prettiest thing I've ever seen", then I'd crest a ridge and it would get better. My only complaint at this point is that I really can't share it with the wife...no place to shuck the kids for three or four days at a time.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #12 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 10:30 am

I sold my last dirt bike to buy my first car and realized that it was probably safer for me to be in a car than on a bike (i like to go fast and really didnt care about much of anything back in my 20's). I wanted to get back to riding but didnt trust myself. when i was 40 i went to see my dad and he gave me his 94 r1100rs. i rode that for about 2 years and decided i wanted to ride ALOT more and had missed it very much so we took a test ride on a 2000 LT. within 20 minutes my wife tapped me on the shoulder and said "we gotta have one of these". happened to run across a great deal on a loaded 05LT about a year later and managed 14000 miles the first year of ownership.
Most of the younger guys i see riding are either riding HD or sportbikes. Seems like everyone would rather think they are "cool" than comfortable. I personally would rather be comfortable and ride, ride, ride.
post #13 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 11:46 am

My nephew has an LT. He is 28 years old. Of course he has me and another friend, both of us older, on LT's.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #14 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Garage

I would not consider myself a geezer at 60
But in '79 my 1st bike burgundy Kaw 1000 ST influenced by my work buddy who was stepping up to the Kaw 1300. I rode that bike to Kansas City and knew then it was time to trade speed and raw power for touring. So my next step was GL1200 LTD in '86 an antique now by some standards. Fully enjoyed. The LT is 2 years young and so am I as it has opened up new horizons for me including this forum.
ride safe
post #15 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Bought my first bike when I was 15, a Suzuki TS 125 enduro. Kept till I went in the Navy at 17. A few years later I bought a Honda Interceptor 500 then a Nighthawk S and my last Honda a 1988 Hurricane 1000. Sold that last one when I came back to New York from the military. No bike from 1990 till 2010, twenty years and I had no real thought of buying another one. Kids, family and work took precedence. Then one day driving along and I saw the BMW logo on a motorcycle shop, had never seen a BMW motorcycle shop before, and something made me turn into the lot. I went in and saw a beautiful blue KLT that I thought was brand new. I found out it was a 2002, not a scratch on her. Loaded with all the options, most I didn't even know you could get on a motorcycle. I thought about it all the way home and my wife said I was crazy. Well fast forward one week. Alot of talk to the wife about the dream bike I always wanted and how it was karma that made me look to my right, and I rode her home. The wife still thinks I'm crazy but I smile alot more.

Rich
2014 K1600GTL Exclusive
2002 K1200LT
1988 Honda Hurricane 1000 (sold 1990)
1986 Honda Nighthawk S (sold 1988)
1985 Honda Interceptor 500 (sold 1987)
post #16 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Brings back lots of memories reading about how some of you ended up as an "old geezer" with an LT. My first bike was a Honda 550 Four in the mid-70s, straight out of college. Once hooked, I moved up to a CX500. Loved the technology! That led to a GL1000 with Vetter front and back, and that's when my world opened up! Toured constantly, and man what a chick magnet!!! I was never lacking for a passenger. Then, in the early 80's, I saw a new R65 and had to have it. Sold the Wing and never looked back. Marriage stopped the touring, but not before honeymooning on the R65 for 2 weeks. The R65 was traded in on a R80RT, but family responsibilities ended the riding, and the Beemer was sold. Fast forward 30 years...Kids grown, more income, new wife with a better attitude, found a GL1500SE at a good price and took the MSF course over. It was great riding again, but the Wing was NOT a Beemer. Finally, several months ago, I was looking at old airheads on eBay, but my wife did her own searching on Craig's List, and found our 2000 LT locally. Drove 2 1/2 hours to look at it, and after the test ride I was hooked! Rode it home in 40 degree weather, loving the seat and grip heaters.

So I guess I'll wear the "old geezer with an LT" moniker proudly. I don't know anyone on this forum, but you all have brought a smile to my face. As Bob Hope used to say ...."Thanks for the memories". And thanks to BMW for building such an awesome bike for us old guys to enjoy.
post #17 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Here's a young LT'er! I'm 24 and just rode my '99 LT from CT back here to Southern CA. I have no explanation why there aren't more younger LT'ers out there.

I guess younger riders are looking for cheap thrills. for less than $5k, you can often buy motorcycles faster than $100k+ cars! I had an FJR in college and guys my age said I had an old mans bike.

At a rest stop I then asked my friends girlfriend if she was sick of his CBR1000 seat and holding onto her purse. She hopped off his bike, through her purse in my topcase and rode with me for the rest of the night :-).

For me, it's not just about going fast 0-60. But traveling and seeing the country in comfort! I have the best of both worlds now. Nothing beats the LT at long distance touring!

No excuse money-wise for not buying an LT. They've been around for 13 years! When you're younger though, you have a lot going on in your life and no money. A college student eating Ramen and trying to get a start on their life may not have time to enjoy the pleasures of touring that an LT excels at. Luckily there are plenty of years ahead for them to come around!

Just my 2 cents.

Michael Drake
Santa Clarita, CA

'99 BMW K1200LT
'07 Yamaha FJR1300
'85 Suzuki Madura (GV1200GL) - Sold
'86 Suzuki Intruder (VS750) - Sold
post #18 of 35 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcydrake
Here's a young LT'er! I'm 24 and just rode my '99 LT from CT back here to Southern CA. I have no explanation why there aren't more younger LT'ers out there.

I guess younger riders are looking for cheap thrills. for less than $5k, you can often buy motorcycles faster than $100k+ cars! I had an FJR in college and guys my age said I had an old mans bike.

At a rest stop I then asked my friends girlfriend if she was sick of his CBR1000 seat and holding onto her purse. She hopped off his bike, through her purse in my topcase and rode with me for the rest of the night :-).

For me, it's not just about going fast 0-60. But traveling and seeing the country in comfort! I have the best of both worlds now. Nothing beats the LT at long distance touring!

No excuse money-wise for not buying an LT. They've been around for 13 years! When you're younger though, you have a lot going on in your life and no money. A college student eating Ramen and trying to get a start on their life may not have time to enjoy the pleasures of touring that an LT excels at. Luckily there are plenty of years ahead for them to come around!

Just my 2 cents.
Officially nominated for Post of the Week.

I don't have much history in this game. I bought my first bike 7 years ago at age 48. A Honda Shadow 650, I had that for a month before trading it in on a 2005 K1200LT which I had until last September (120k miles) before trading THAT in on an '09 LT. The '05 lives on in North Carolina, where the new owner is still enjoying it. Life is good on the LT.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #19 of 35 Old May 10th, 2012, 6:28 am

This IS the post of the week; priceless, steal your buddies girlfriend 'cause she knows who the stud is......................hum a sport bike or a comfortable bike that will fly?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #20 of 35 Old May 11th, 2012, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician
According to Cisco's World Technology Report, September 2011, 2/3 of college students would rather have an internet connection than a car.

Given that more people would choose a car over a motorcycle it's no wonder that almost all the people I meet on the road riding motorcycles are "old geezers."

Just like me.

--Bob
I work with young people every day I and I see this also. About 10% the the HS seniors in my classes do not have a driver's license and have no plans to get one. When choosing a college many (including one's with a DL) give one of their top criteria as being "a place where I don't need a car." Most of them regard cars as boxes to get them from point A to point B and they care more about the sound system than anything else.

There are some who have an interest in scooters, but mostly the electric ones. They just see cars (motorcycles are not on their horizon) and driving as something that has to be done but is in no way enjoyable. Many of them can however field-strip a bicycle and put it back together in less time than it takes most people to read an issue of People. It's all a matter of priorities.
post #21 of 35 Old May 11th, 2012, 11:53 am

Its all good. My grandfather could have reminisced about the good old days when folks were holding on to horses as their favored means of transportation. He was around to see the first sputterning cars interfere with the serenity of travel. Times change, people change and its all good. If the younger set isn't following in our footsteps toward the love of motorcycles they are certainly following our mode of embracing whatever is new and whatever is different from the previous generation.

As long as nobody tries to tell me I can't keep on riding or otherwise pursue happiness in the manner of my own choosing, I will be happy to be an old geezer.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #22 of 35 Old May 11th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCCC1
When I as in my twenties, I believed that "middle age" began at 35. 50, would definitely qualify for an "old Geezer". Now that I am, I'm "only as old as I feel". Beautiful cliche.
I ask you this: Where are the young, new LT riders? I know there are some, but on this site, the median age isn't too low. About ten years ago the motorcycle industry was concerned about the statistic that not too many of the under 40 crowd were starting to ride, certainly, not enough to replace the over 40 getting out. When we were teens, even in the suburbs there were still many places to "legally ride" mini bikes and such. So we started. This may be a rehash of an old thread, but having tried the "search forums" 13 times now, I've never seen anything but "0 results found".
I went from an LT to an RT and feel (and look) ten years younger

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #23 of 35 Old May 11th, 2012, 2:15 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
ME TOO... LOL

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #24 of 35 Old May 17th, 2012, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

I'd love to have one too!!

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
post #25 of 35 Old May 17th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Yep, jobs, kids and no $$$ took me away from the MC for a number of years. I figured why by a Yugo when you can afford a Cadillac, so LT for ME it is!

2003 LT
1980 Gold Wing Interstate (still have it!)
1979 Kawasaki 750
1975 Suzuki 175
1963 Cushman Silver Eagle (wish I still had it!) (just bought another one!)
2016 Indian Scout 60 (She who must be obeyed needed a ride!)
post #26 of 35 Old May 17th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Back in the 60's and 70's I rode Triumphs pretty much exclusively. I remember when the Honda K bike (4 cyl) came out. I could not imagine riding anything that big and bulky. Rode my Triumph coast to coast and never thought of doing it on anything else.
While I do have and really enjoy the LT, when the time comes that my wife won't ride with me, the LT goes. I just sold my FZ1 and already miss it.
At 63, I still like to go fast - faster than the LT will go. Except the 2 up, the LT just won't cut it.
post #27 of 35 Old May 20th, 2012, 11:12 pm

I guess at 34 I fall slightly below the "old geezer" range. I've been riding something with two wheels since I was 12. Just got my LT in October of 11. As a paramedic/firefighter I'm sure not making enough bank to buy a new one, but a really nice used one was in range. This is about my 11-12th bike, selling my Jap cruiser just last week. I decided to go with it because I was driving 400 miles from Georgia to NC to visit my GF at Duke on an 1100 V-Star every other weekend. Wears your butt out.

Aside from the obvious money issues, most of the younger crowd will go with a cruiser (make it loud and cool) or a crotch rocket (gotta go fast and act stupid, while trying to look cool). They just havent discovered the pleasure of a bike like the LT. But thats just IMHO.
post #28 of 35 Old May 21st, 2012, 6:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Nicholson
Aside from the obvious money issues, most of the younger crowd will go with a cruiser (make it loud and cool) or a crotch rocket (gotta go fast and act stupid, while trying to look cool). They just havent discovered the pleasure of a bike like the LT. But thats just IMHO.
There's another factor...if you want to go FAST over long distances and be comfortable, there's plenty of Sport Tourer FJR, C14, etc, type motorcycles. If you want to go fast, over long distances, and have your _pillion_ be comfortable, you really only have three or four chooces...Harley, Goldwing, and the LT...(Heck, I guess you can throw Victory in there too, but that's 'just' another V-twin cruiser)

It's not like cars where the GT fold contains Porsche, Jag, Astin, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. etc.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #29 of 35 Old May 22nd, 2012, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Call me crazy, guys 'n' gals, and at the risk of upsetting an RT rider or two.

I had a loan of an RT about a month ago when the LT was in for a health check (MoT if you're a Brit), and joined a ride out from one side of Scotland to the other and back (East Fife to Oban to East Fife), so about a 350 mile round trip, all for the sake of some nice fish and chips at lunchtime.

My first time on a parallel twin, and, I was looking forward to finding out what all the fuss was about. RT1200 was nimble and responsive (downright fast if you want it to be), but it didn't come anywhere near the comfort level of the LT. For those who remember, I come in at 6 feet 8 inches tall, meaning the screen on anything other than an LT leaves me with a requirement for visor-cleaner. I also felt like I was riding a naked (do you guys use that expression over the pond?), and remembered how much I hate being buffeted front on by the wind.

Equal disappointment on a GS Adventure a couple of weeks ago, with the added annoyance of serious throttle-hand buzz.

At 47, and only having had a bike licence for 23 months, I guess I'm still learning. But one thing I have learned since I've had my LT (one previous owner, I bought it last July), is that I'm unfortunately unlikely ever to be happy with anything else.

I know, never say never...

Slarti

2008 K1200LTLux

Four wheels good
Two wheels better
post #30 of 35 Old May 23rd, 2012, 7:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibarftast
Call me crazy, guys 'n' gals, and at the risk of upsetting an RT rider or two.

I had a loan of an RT about a month ago when the LT was in for a health check (MoT if you're a Brit), and joined a ride out from one side of Scotland to the other and back (East Fife to Oban to East Fife), so about a 350 mile round trip, all for the sake of some nice fish and chips at lunchtime.

My first time on a parallel twin, and, I was looking forward to finding out what all the fuss was about. RT1200 was nimble and responsive (downright fast if you want it to be), but it didn't come anywhere near the comfort level of the LT. For those who remember, I come in at 6 feet 8 inches tall, meaning the screen on anything other than an LT leaves me with a requirement for visor-cleaner. I also felt like I was riding a naked (do you guys use that expression over the pond?), and remembered how much I hate being buffeted front on by the wind.

Equal disappointment on a GS Adventure a couple of weeks ago, with the added annoyance of serious throttle-hand buzz.

At 47, and only having had a bike licence for 23 months, I guess I'm still learning. But one thing I have learned since I've had my LT (one previous owner, I bought it last July), is that I'm unfortunately unlikely ever to be happy with anything else.

I know, never say never...

Slarti
Being an RT owner, an airhead, but so be it, I know the feeling and only being 6'3". The knees can't take it for very long and the wind noise is excessive for these old Rock&Roll drummer's ears. But, I love the old bike which brings me back to my mini-bike riding youth.
Needless to say, even though the RT could very easily run 3-400 miles, it's the LT I'll take EVERY time!
Nice to have a meat pie and look out into the bay from Oban. Awesome bakery there and some fine whiskey made there, too!

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #31 of 35 Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:18 pm

I'm betting as they get older we'll see more youngsters riding because they'll become more affordable. There's no denying the value for money equation in the purchase price compared to a Goldwing (compare pricing on '05s of both models and you'll see what I mean). I also know that in my case I could have chosen a faster non-touring bike (not that the K1200LT is slow) but I'd probably just get myself into trouble with the law, my doctor and/or my wife. Of course I remember justifying the purchase with "yes honey, you and I can take vacations on it". Come to think of it I used the same excuse to justify getting my VTX1800 (big cruiser - my wife was quick to point out that the motor has the same capacity as her first car). The good news is that we did take a long trip on the VTX, and we now also take a long trip on the K1200LT at least once a year, and it's been amazing each time.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #32 of 35 Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:24 pm

Ya gotta have both an LT and an RT to:

1) serve different missions, and
2) make the RT once again seem like a light nimble bike.
post #33 of 35 Old May 27th, 2012, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie
I'm betting as they get older we'll see more youngsters riding because they'll become more affordable. There's no denying the value for money equation in the purchase price compared to a Goldwing (compare pricing on '05s of both models and you'll see what I mean). I also know that in my case I could have chosen a faster non-touring bike (not that the K1200LT is slow) but I'd probably just get myself into trouble with the law, my doctor and/or my wife. Of course I remember justifying the purchase with "yes honey, you and I can take vacations on it". Come to think of it I used the same excuse to justify getting my VTX1800 (big cruiser - my wife was quick to point out that the motor has the same capacity as her first car). The good news is that we did take a long trip on the VTX, and we now also take a long trip on the K1200LT at least once a year, and it's been amazing each time.
Do wings actually hold their value better than LT's?

BMW MOA# 180321
post #34 of 35 Old May 28th, 2012, 5:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCCC1
Do wings actually hold their value better than LT's?
From what I have seen in my area , the asking prices for used wings are close to 2x for an LT. In short BMW resale sucks,.......considering price of new. A good thing if buying used BMW. Most non BMW dealers will not even consider taking one on a trade unless they get it for almost nothing.

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #35 of 35 Old May 28th, 2012, 11:29 am

I rode various Japanese street and dirt motorcycles from the time I was 7 until now (42) In 1999, my wife and I test rode a K1200LT and loved it, but we couldn't afford it. During the spring of 2011 we test rode a K1600GTL and loved it, but we couldn't afford it. During the fall of 2011, we found a low mileage 2000 LT in our price range, bought it and love it.

With my style of riding, the 1600 suites me better, but until I have enough $$ to consider buying a new one or a reasonably priced used one shows up, we'll keep enjoying the K1200LT.

I suspect that the younger crowd typically isn't interested in a heavy touring bike. I know I wasn't. I wanted something comfortable but still something I could flick around (aka fairly light). Now, I'm willing to compromise between light weight performance and comfort. When I was about 30, the K1200LT started to appeal to me but not before then.

Just Ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in