no satisfaction - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

no satisfaction

I am sorry to report that the condition of my formerly immaculate '05 LT was downgraded this morning about two miles shy of another great commute. While turning left from a two lane road onto a limited access four lane I was met rather abruptly by a car merging onto the four lane from the opposite direction. The teenage driver of the car came straight over into the left lane, the lane already occupied by me and my LT. There is really not a lot of satisfaction in being able to say, I HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY, when you find yourself laying in the middle of the highway 10 feet away from the best bike you've ever owned.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: no satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips727
I am sorry to report that the condition of my formerly immaculate '05 LT was downgraded this morning about two miles shy of another great commute. While turning left from a two lane road onto a limited access four lane I was met rather abruptly by a car merging onto the four lane from the opposite direction. The teenage driver of the car came straight over into the left lane, the lane already occupied by me and my LT. There is really not a lot of satisfaction in being able to say, I HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY, when you find yourself laying in the middle of the highway 10 feet away from the best bike you've ever owned.
But, are you OK?
post #3 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
But, are you OK?
Yeah, the best bike you ever owned is just 'stuff'....'stuff' can be replaced.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.

post #4 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 1:23 pm

So sorry to hear this! It seems you're alright physically - thank God! How'd the bike fair?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #5 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 1:26 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Hope you are ok... Find this kids parents and kill them.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #6 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Glad to hear you walked away from it not enough do, the bike can be replaced.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Been there, done that. Glad that you fared ok ad walked away. Now is a good time to start taking a couple of Aleve twice a day for a few days. Been there...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
But, are you OK?
Yes, thanks - actually better than I would have expected. Road rash on my forehead, knee and wrist. Eight stitches in my elbow, and sore all over, but not so much now that the Lortab has kicked in. I am not worried about fixing the bike - there is nothing that I cannot repair/replace/repaint. I am expecting the accident report is going to state that it was the other driver's fault, and if I understand traffic laws, it was. So if her insurance is paying the bill, maybe I will just let someone else fix it - NO, CAN'T HAPPEN. All the damage is on the right side, some from impact with the car and some from where it landed, slid and came to rest. It broke the mirror, trim panel and cap, snapped the bosses off the rider footpeg plate. The brake pedal and the tip-over bar are wasted and plastic from the front lower to the side case is road rashed about like me. The only things that can't be fixed are my khakis and my favorite motorcycle jacket, which now has a gaping hole in its right elbow. I wasn't wearing a helmet and yes I have had that lecture many times, a few as recently as today. The good news is that my Yankee's cap came through without a scratch.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #9 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Quote:
The good news is that my Yankee's cap came through without a scratch.
Well, there is that...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 4:24 pm

What kind of jacket were you wearing? Glad to hear you were able to walk away!
post #11 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Scary story, so glad you are ok!

You must have been able to keep your head up off of the road, congrats on that!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #12 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
What kind of jacket were you wearing? Glad to hear you were able to walk away!
It's a Hein Gericke, red leather - I love(d) it.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #13 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Glad your injuries are minor..

Take it to the most expensive BMW shop in the area... Let them get the estimate together..I'd almost be willing to bet there's hidden damage you won't see unless you know where to look...

Chances are it'll be totalled....If not, Then with the dealers number in mind you could get well paid to fix the bike yourself.. Less a little for the dealerships trouble...

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #14 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 5:26 pm

I am on my second LT after an incident with a careless driver myself. Very sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are able to get the repairs and replacement parts to your satisfaction, or in the event the bike is actually written off, that you are able to find a ride that makes you as happy as this one did.
post #15 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Sorry to hear about your incident. What road were you on? I ask because I and a couple of friends were on I-69 heading south through your area last Saturday afternoon doing our butt burner 1500.

I try not to play the right of way game when on my bike. Playing defense is always better. Now if I was in my 740 iL tanked then game's on! Heal quick.

Kimo

'05 K1200LT Ocean Blue IBA # 49426

'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #16 of 21 Old May 8th, 2012, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk
What road were you on? I ask because I and a couple of friends were on I-69 heading south through your area last Saturday afternoon doing our butt burner 1500.
I had just turned onto Robert L Draper Way, a bypass between Greenville and Central City in Muhlenberg County KY. If you were on the I-69 corridor you were within about a half mile of my home in Madisonville. If you're ever in the neighborhood again let me know. Coffee is on me.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #17 of 21 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes, thanks - actually better than I would have expected. Road rash on my forehead, knee and wrist. Eight stitches in my elbow, and sore all over, but not so much now that the Lortab has kicked in. I am not worried about fixing the bike - there is nothing that I cannot repair/replace/repaint. I am expecting the accident report is going to state that it was the other driver's fault, and if I understand traffic laws, it was. So if her insurance is paying the bill, maybe I will just let someone else fix it - NO, CAN'T HAPPEN. All the damage is on the right side, some from impact with the car and some from where it landed, slid and came to rest. It broke the mirror, trim panel and cap, snapped the bosses off the rider footpeg plate. The brake pedal and the tip-over bar are wasted and plastic from the front lower to the side case is road rashed about like me. The only things that can't be fixed are my khakis and my favorite motorcycle jacket, which now has a gaping hole in its right elbow. I wasn't wearing a helmet and yes I have had that lecture many times, a few as recently as today. The good news is that my Yankee's cap came through without a scratch.
Those Yankees always have been a hard headed bunch.

Glad to year you're ok!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #18 of 21 Old May 9th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Quote:
I had just turned onto Robert L Draper Way, a bypass between Greenville and Central City in Muhlenberg County KY. If you were on the I-69 corridor you were within about a half mile of my home in Madisonville. If you're ever in the neighborhood again let me know. Coffee is on me.

Thanks Tips! Will do but not anytime soon as my butt needs to heal for a few months.

Kimo

'05 K1200LT Ocean Blue IBA # 49426

'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #19 of 21 Old May 9th, 2012, 8:24 pm

From your description of the damage to the bike it is but just a scratch. Shouldn't cost more than about eleventy thousand dollars to fix it.

What a shame but I'm mighty glad you pulled through OK.

Don't think I'm being an ass because I'm not trying to be but when you realized that you were going to go down did you have even a mere thought that you wished you were wearing a hard hat or were you just too busy planning your landing?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #20 of 21 Old May 9th, 2012, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
From your description of the damage to the bike it is but just a scratch. Shouldn't cost more than about eleventy thousand dollars to fix it.

What a shame but I'm mighty glad you pulled through OK.

Don't think I'm being an ass because I'm not trying to be but when you realized that you were going to go down did you have even a mere thought that you wished you were wearing a hard hat or were you just too busy planning your landing?

Loren
I trailered the bike to Nashville today for an estimate - $4946.20 to replace the broken parts that are visible.

And no Loren, I don't think you're being an ass. You are welcome to challenge me about my helmet practices, or anything else for that matter. That seems to be the ante for playing on this forum. I don't mind anyone coaching, advising or even chastising me about wearing a helmet. And that is a good thing because the women in my life have been pretty ruthless the last 36 hours.

The answer to your question is that the wreck happened so fast that I didn't have time to plan my landing. Two moments of reckoning stand out. The first was - that car is going to hit me. The second was - my head is on the pavement, better lift it up.

My disliking of helmets is not because I don't know their value. I learned that the hard way in 1978 when one saved my life in my most famous motorcycle wreck. It was the law in those days and I wore it because I had to. That wreck was the beginning of the end of my first biking life.

In my new biking life which began about seven years ago, my riding style is not the same pants-on-fire riding that I did before. I don't know the top end speed of either of my LT's and this more "adult" style of riding has allowed me to rationalize myself out of the habit of using my helmet. But, I am going to change that beginning the next time I saddle up.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #21 of 21 Old May 9th, 2012, 11:06 pm

I am a helmet wearer but I am a seat belt hater! I did learn to accept seat belts when I got the $100 click it or ticket reward.

I would probably be tempted to lose the helmet for short periods of time on the freeway in the summertime

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in