Tool for spark plug removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 11:54 am Thread Starter

Tool for spark plug removal

I have a 99 K12LT with 30K miles and has probably never been through a spark plug change. Although the bike is performing well I would like to change the plugs on my next service in approximately a months time.

At the 24K service I tried to remove the existing cables but failed. I tired pulling the cable/spark plug cover (or cap) using various pliers but I would not come out. The bike started moving while it was on the center stand but the cover did not come out. I believe there is a special tool to remove these caps but I am unable to find the part number for it. The BMW dealer in Livermore said that BMW does not sell this tool anymore. I forgot to ask him for the part number (Damn!). Can the guru's here find me the part number or share a link where I can find this tool? It will be also helpful if there are any other tips on removing the cables.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Re: Tool for spark plug removal

There should be a metal tab at the end of the spark plug boot. Just grab on with a pair of pliers and pull. They may be a little stuck but should come off with a little wiggle and a pull.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 12:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The trick is to rotate them with the pliers. They will then break loose and can easily be pulled straight out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Oh and if you ever want to take a ride down the river to Brentwood ( about 65 miles) we can go over or service anything on your LT. Mini Tech sessions anytime.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #5 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The trick is to rotate them with the pliers. They will then break loose and can easily be pulled straight out.
+1. That is how I do get them off. With regular pliers but with some shaking...

Born to be wild so why not

post #6 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Oh and if you ever want to take a ride down the river to Brentwood ( about 65 miles) we can go over or service anything on your LT. Mini Tech sessions anytime.
Thanks - I ride to Pleasanton everyday so Brentwood is on my way Lucky me. I will try this on the next service, if I fail again I will surely bring it over I just hope either all of them come out or none of them come out

Dont want to use my own bike to check the mpg with just 2 cylinders running

2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #7 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Just a tip - If the leads are dry and tight on the spark plugs, then it may be possible as you suggest, that the spark plugs haven't been out of the head for a very long time. That being the case, it may pay to be careful during the undoing process, typically the spark plug may pick up some aluminium thread on the way out if the threads are really dry. I suggest if this starts to occur, to spray some penetrating fluid in around the base of the spark plug then work it back and forth in the hope of adding some lube to the threads. Then carefully try to undo it completely. Otherwise it may be a helicoil insert for the spark plug thread(s).

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #8 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

What is a - "helicoil insert for the spark plug thread(s)"

1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #9 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTFan
What is a - "helicoil insert for the spark plug thread(s)"
When the threads are stripped out, a good wrench will need to ream out the hole and insert a heli-coil (new threads). Google it. I hope you won't need it.

Use anti-seize when reinstalling plugs, and absolutely use connector grease on the plug wires.....

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #10 of 10 Old May 8th, 2012, 10:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A thin pair of needle nose pliers works well to grab the base of the boots and twist them on the plugs until they break loose. Then grab the metal tab and pull them off. One caution on silicone grease for the boots. Sometimes it tends to throw off vapors and can cause the boots to pressurize and pop off. Sounds weird, huh? Didn't believe it until I saw it happen myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in