Stupid blinking Brake Failure light and NYS Inspection? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Stupid blinking Brake Failure light and NYS Inspection?

Ok guys. This is a question for anyone from New York.

I picked up a used K1200LT. When I start it up, I get the annoying "Brake Failure" light flashing until I start moving the bike forward. (A totally moronic idea, since it is telling you your breaks won't work, and you can't verify that until you need them, but I digress.)

I have owned several brands of bikes before, and none have every done this as a normal test routine.

There are NO BMW repair shops within 150 miles from my home.

Do you think a regular bike repair shop that does Asian and American bikes know about this, or do you think I would fail inspection because no other manufacturer does this?

Many thanks for your thoughts...

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 10:33 am

Re: Stupid blinking Brake Failure light and NYS Inspection?

Normal. That is the ABS computer checking the wheel sensors. If the ABS fails, this light will come on telling you the ABS is not working.

Ron
post #3 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 10:36 am

Nothing to repair its doing what its supposed to do, its normal behavior.

You've owned several brands of bikes before without ABS this bike has ABS

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 11:50 am

As pointed out, this is how it is supposed to work! Read your owner's manual.

Some brands use a timer to cancel the brake/ABS check function, others work only when it is put in gear and rolling. Not sure why that qualifies as "moronic."

You've probably got a REAL issue if it doesn't go out when in gear - to the tune of $2K.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 8th, 2012 at 4:34 pm.
post #5 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 11:56 am

It really would be nice if the ABS-lights wouldn't flash until something really is broken. Wouldn't it? That is just not the way Helmut has built the beast. The reason perhaps being that those bloody lights tell quite a lot with their blinking in the different phases from turning the power on until you start riding.

So BMW-GŁnther has designed it to operate like that... But Hey - consider yourself driving a very fancy & scientific machine needing a lot more attention than average car. You really do know ABS being functional when those lights stop blinking.... And you feel having done something important watching and checking them to stop...

Born to be wild so why not

post #6 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 12:50 pm

I think what the "orig poster" meant was that if a state inspection station/non BMW shop is not familiar with this feature of the LT....they will think it has a faulty brake system and it will not pass the state inspection.
post #7 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
As pointed out, this is how it is supposed to work! Read your owner's manual.

Some brands use a timer to cancel the brake check function, others work only when it is put in gear. Not sure why that qualifies as "moronic."

You've probably got a REAL issue if it doesn't go out when in gear - to the tune of $2K.

Well, it qualifies as 'moronic' since there is no way to know if the breaks are really working, until you TRY to use them. To keep blinking the dang light until your moving makes the brake failure light worthless!

Lets explore that:

Scenario 1: Brakes working: Brake failure light blinks until you start moving. Phew! The light went out now that I am moving, it's a good thing, since I will need them to stop this beast!

Scenario 2: Brakes NOT working: Brake failure light blinks, I ignore, since this is NORMAL. I pull out in traffic, and need to stop, but, geee whiz, no breaks! It would have been really useful if I had an actual warning that the brakes didn't work before I started moving! <<<BANG>>>

Anyways, my point was not to reopen this can of worms, but simply to gather input of other NYS riders, would a normal, non-bmw bike shop know this? Is this typical on other touring bikes the the wing?

Paul

P.S. The bike didn't come with a owner's manual btw.... It would have been real useful if it did....
post #8 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakba
Well, it qualifies as 'moronic' since there is no way to know if the breaks are really working, until you TRY to use them. To keep blinking the dang light until your moving makes the brake failure light worthless!

Lets explore that:

Scenario 1: Brakes working: Brake failure light blinks until you start moving. Phew! The light went out now that I am moving, it's a good thing, since I will need them to stop this beast!

Scenario 2: Brakes NOT working: Brake failure light blinks, I ignore, since this is NORMAL. I pull out in traffic, and need to stop, but, geee whiz, no breaks! It would have been really useful if I had an actual warning that the brakes didn't work before I started moving! <<<BANG>>>

Anyways, my point was not to reopen this can of worms, but simply to gather input of other NYS riders, would a normal, non-bmw bike shop know this? Is this typical on other touring bikes the the wing?

Paul

P.S. The bike didn't come with a owner's manual btw.... It would have been real useful if it did....
Stop being a ****on. The light will stop immediately the bike starts rolling if everything is AOK. If not yoy know and have time to stop it safely.

Born to be wild so why not

post #9 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 1:25 pm

If your bike moves more then a few feet and the light keeps blinking then you know you have a problem.

I would rather have it blink to let me know that the system is active as opposed to it not blinking and having utterly no idea if I have brakes or not.

Also the Search function here is a wonderful replacement for the missing manual.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #10 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 2:39 pm

And just so you know.. There is no such thing as no brakes.. No power brakes maybe.. NO ABS maybe but never, NEVER, No brakes...

You'll be able to stop just fine...

And you'll be able to educate the knucklehead at the state inspection station by rolling the bike about ten feet...You'll also hear the "chirp, chirp" as the ABS pump self tests..
The reason for the roll out is to test the wheel sensors...

Remember, Stupid is as stupid does....

Please feel free to spend some time here learning something about your bike...Questions politely asked are usually answered quickly. Disparaging remarks even more so...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; May 8th, 2012 at 2:45 pm.
post #11 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 4:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Blinking together is part of the self-test sequence. Wig-wag indicates a failure in the system. I'm surprised you didn't notice this or have it explained on your test ride.

post #12 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 4:25 pm

[QUOTE=Drakba]

Scenario 2: Brakes NOT working: Brake failure light blinks, I ignore, since this is NORMAL. I pull out in traffic, and need to stop, but, geee whiz, no breaks!

I think you're confused as to what is actually going on here. If you look carefully you'll see the check lights are imprinted with "ABS" - NOT "Brake failure".

Depending on what year you have (since you didn't mention it in your post) there are two possible scenarios that can happen with an LT and loss of ABS.

1. The earlier model's brakes will work absolutely great - even without ABS assistance. It takes a lot of "whoa boy" to have ABS engage. In 240K of riding LT's I've only had them engage TWICE - once when a cager pulled out in front of me on pavement, and once on gravel. I have - and still do - go out twice a year and practice panic braking. It's probably the most neglected and yet most important skill any motorcyclist can obtain. There's no substitute for muscle memory.

2. Later model's brakes will still work, but not nearly up to snuff if the ABS fails since I'm pretty sure the power assist feature is lost as well. This may have been purposely engineered to keep you from riding without full braking power.

As John mentioned, the rollout/flashing is to test the sensors to make sure they are reporting correctly and within the design parameters. I would much rather have an active versus passive test, and apparently that is exactly what was on the mind of the engineers when they built it.

I think it's brilliant - and especially so considering the technology was placed on this particular bike starting in 1999 - and engineered several years prior to that. I can't recall ANY full sized touring bike that had this feature back then. Very clever if you ask me!

Buy a manual. Read it.

You'll feel like a genius when you explain to your buddies (and the safety Nazis) how sophisticated your BMW's ABS system really is.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 8th, 2012 at 4:50 pm.
post #13 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Why bother 'splaining to OP. Obviously he just wants to bellyache and complain about his "breaks". Should have bought a Honda. RTFM!!!!!

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #14 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
Why bother 'splaining to OP. Obviously he just wants to bellyache and complain about his "breaks". Should have bought a Honda. RTFM!!!!!
LOL, just trying to help a brother out.

But..... apparently it isn't sinking it very well since he asked the exact same question on April 10th - but apparently didn't like the answer either and retorted:

"What bonehead engineer in Germany thought it would be a good idea to flash Brake Failure, until you started to move a bike? Eeesh....."

Probably caused by lack of O2.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Angry Re: Stupid blinking Brake Failure light and NYS Inspection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
LOL, just trying to help a brother out.

But..... apparently it isn't sinking it very well since he asked the exact same question on April 10th - but apparently didn't like the answer either and retorted:

"What bonehead engineer in Germany thought it would be a good idea to flash Brake Failure, until you started to move a bike? Eeesh....."

Probably caused by lack of O2.
Actually, it did sink in. If you took the time to read my entire post, I had asked about the DANG NYS INSPECTION!!!!!

I understand the stupid dang light! And no, IT DOES NOT BLINK ABS AT ALL, JUST THE DANG "BREAK FAILURE" LIGHT!

My god, get off your high horse people, I didn't call your mother a whore, I just commented, (and still believe) that if the system is doing a self test, it should say TEST, not a red, blinking "BRAKE FAILURE" light!

Again, for those of you who are O2 deprived, to be very clear, "I NEVER MENTIONED *ANYTHING ABOUT ABS LIGHTS*!!!!!

anyways, if anyone would be kind enough to answer my ACTUAL QUESTION IN THE POST, I was asking if any NYS bikers had any trouble getting their bike inspected by a non-BMW dealer. That was all.

Damn, say one critical thing about your beloved bike, and people flip out! Its a bike, not a religion!
post #16 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Garage

The RT does the same thing.
Nothing to fix on it. Your other motorcycle mechanics may, or may not know that the BMW behaves like that.
I'm not from New York. I don't know about inspections. We sure don't have any inspections here. We don't need none.
Here, you just get on your bike and ride.
Then the abs light goes out. If all is well.
dc
post #17 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 6:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Paul,

Don't know about NY, but in Mass I have never had an issue getting an inspection at a Suzuki dealership. I suggest you go get an inspection and if necessary educate the inspector. Sorry I don't live in NY, so that is the best advice I have.

On another note, you are old enough to have learned that being new to any group sarcasm in a typed message is usually counter productive.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #18 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 6:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

He is right Ron, The later bikes say "Brake Failure" not "ABS Warning" on the dash. Our other LT brothers out on Long Island don't have a problem at their inspection stations. Maybe ride out there next time.

Oops, Buffalo is a bit far to run to LI for an inspection, but then that's what the LT was made for - long road trips. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	odometer.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	35182  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Stupid blinking Brake Failure light and NYS Inspection?

Thank you guys. That was all I was asking. Did any NY riders have problems getting NYS inspections from non-bmw dealers.

I was just trying to avoid headaches. Didn't mean to start a flame war, and certainly not with the senior members of the forum.

Thank you to the guys that were polite enough to actually answer my question, and not just flame me for part of the message.

Paul
post #20 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 6:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Welcome back to normalcy Paul. Give Rob (RVB1019) a PM shout and he can give you the low down from the Long Island perspective. I felt your pain as I had auto inspection issues in Texas once - 'ain't no fun.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #21 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Actually, it did sink in. If you took the time to read my entire post, I had asked about the DANG NYS INSPECTION!!!!!

I understand the stupid dang light! And no, IT DOES NOT BLINK ABS AT ALL, JUST THE DANG "BREAK FAILURE" LIGHT!

My god, get off your high horse people, I didn't call your mother a whore, I just commented, (and still believe) that if the system is doing a self test, it should say TEST, not a red, blinking "BRAKE FAILURE" light!

Again, for those of you who are O2 deprived, to be very clear, "I NEVER MENTIONED *ANYTHING ABOUT ABS LIGHTS*!!!!!

anyways, if anyone would be kind enough to answer my ACTUAL QUESTION IN THE POST, I was asking if any NYS bikers had any trouble getting their bike inspected by a non-BMW dealer. That was all.

Damn, say one critical thing about your beloved bike, and people flip out! Its a bike, not a religion!
Ahh, Ok - you have a 2005 or later model. If you would have mentioned that in your first post it would have been a big help. It has the brake failure light in the lower left hand corner of the instrument nacelle versus the two ABS lights side by side in the earliest models. If I recall correctly it has the same function: to let you know there is something wrong with the ABS.

Your "breaks" will still work with your Brake Failure light flashing - even though in your criticism calling it "stupid, moronic, and bonehead" - you are obviously under the impression that they won't:

"I pull out in traffic, and need to stop, but, geee whiz, no breaks!"

"A totally moronic idea, since it is telling you your breaks won't work, and you can't verify that until you need them."

...and, like I said before, if you would take the time to read or procure an owner's manual you would have the knowledge needed - before you go in for a safety check - to educate the inspector on the function of the system. You can download one for free from BMW.

Allrighty then?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #22 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 7:14 pm

No high horse here....

The "ABS" lights,or (later models) "Brake Failure" lights slow flashing (in unison on older models) at startup IS the way BMW lets you know the system is working. It is only awaiting enough motion through the abs ring to verify THAT part of the system is operating properly. The brakes still work during this process. On older models, it also shows that both bulbs are good. Fast flashing, (older wig-wag), and no light(s) let you know something is wrong.

The comments you are getting (that are upsetting you) are due to the you not doing an in depth search on your own first, and especially demeaning comments about a system that you don't have enough knowledge about to make such comments. The system makes perfect sense, and BMW just chose not to add another warning annunciator light to the panel. It is kinda like why they didn't put an "Oil Pressure OK" light on the bike. Again, I hope you are not offended by some guys asking you to perform a search for answers first, then ask. This site has thousands of pages, plus hundreds of thousands of questions and answers. If no search was done, better put on your flame suit.....

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #23 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Thank you guys. That was all I was asking. Did any NY riders have problems getting NYS inspections from non-bmw dealers.

I was just trying to avoid headaches. Didn't mean to start a flame war, and certainly not with the senior members of the forum.

Thank you to the guys that were polite enough to actually answer my question, and not just flame me for part of the message.

Paul
Hi ..
I'm Dave and I'm new here also..and to the K1200LT.
I have a 2000 that I bought out your way(Amherst) maybe 5-6 weeks ago.
I'm still ridding on the inspection sticker that was on the bike..good till Oct.
I do think I'm supposed to get it done over now that I own it..dunno.
Anyways someday maybe we can get together and ride...maybe even talk about the fanatics on here..lol.

It Is a great site.
Fixed a bad sensor wire for the speedo and a few other things since I have been here from the info found here.
post #24 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochinosucio
... better put on your flame suit.....
or at least your big boy undies...

Yes, you asked about the NYS inspection (which should NOT be an issue since the system is functioning as designed, and surely the inspector will roll (or more likely, have YOU roll) the bike forward more than a few feet. Here in Texas you have to demonstrate that brakes are working by actually stopping the bike from a specified speed in a specified distance.

BUT, you also proceeded to spew forth a bunch of hooey as has already been pointed out. FWIW, it is not about talking bad about the "beloved" LT, it about being... well... I think that has already been pointed out as well.

Regardless, welcome to your LT and welcome, too, to the asylum. You will do just fine here, just chill for a bit as you first dip your toes in the water.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #25 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Regardless, welcome to your LT and welcome, too, to the asylum. You will do just fine here, just chill for a bit as you first dip your toes in the water.
+1

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love

Previous loves...
post #26 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 8:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

BMW needs the "brake failure" annunciator and adding in a second annunciator just adds unnecessary cost and another bulb to fail. Using the "failure" indicator also makes sense for a couple of other reasons:

1. It is always safer to assume an safety system is broken until proven otherwise. Flashing this annunciator makes you think when you start out that your ABS isn't known to be working until after the self-test is done.

2. By flashing this annunciator at start-up, it tests that the annunciator is working. If you don't see it flash, then there is a good chance that the bulb is blown. Would you rather find out now that the annunciator is INOP or when you go to make a panic stop at 60 MPH on a wet road and find out that your ABS was broken, but you didn't know that since the bulb that tells you it is broken was itself broken.

Using the failure annunciators at startup is a very smart design feature. Anyone who calls it moronic is well ... you finish the sentence ...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #27 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 8:36 pm

Are we all ready to join hands and sing "Kumbaya" now...?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #28 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

By the way guys, i did do a search for NYS inspection, and could not find anything relating to the brake lights. (as that was the question....)

Please excuse the spelling errors, typing on an iPad, with the wonderful autocomplete causes odd words sometimes..
post #29 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 8:46 pm

I donno, maybe its your avitar. you just look like a mad man.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #30 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 9:11 pm

I hold an inspection license, just tell the tech how the system works and that will be the end of it.

As far as the warning light, I don't know why they do it that way.
They could have followed the auto industry, system runs self test including wheel sensor test and would turn the light on if it didn't pass. When the key is turned on it cycles the warning lights so the operation of the light could be checked at that time.
The warning light could fail after the test and there would be no indication of an actual failure, so that reason doesn't wash.

I thinks it's safe to say either way they operate the warning system you're still moving before you're sure the tests passed. No sense in arguing why they do what they do it's just the way it is and you can't change that.
post #31 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Hell No. Newbee's should tread lightly. Oh, and did someone make up a new word "
annunciator ". Can you use it in a sentence? The annunciator said RTFM.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #32 of 45 Old May 8th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Garage

Marino
A link for you.
dc
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/annunciator?s=ts
post #33 of 45 Old May 9th, 2012, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
And just so you know.. There is no such thing as no brakes.. No power brakes maybe.. NO ABS maybe but never, NEVER, No brakes...

You'll be able to stop just fine...

And you'll be able to educate the knucklehead at the state inspection station by rolling the bike about ten feet...You'll also hear the "chirp, chirp" as the ABS pump self tests..
The reason for the roll out is to test the wheel sensors...

Remember, Stupid is as stupid does....

Please feel free to spend some time here learning something about your bike...Questions politely asked are usually answered quickly. Disparaging remarks even more so...

John

WELL....I just replaced the bad brake modulator on my 04. Let me just say....when the "old, bad one" was not working I had NO brakes.....none, zero.....no residual....at least thats the way it seemed to me. So I will politely disagree with you on this one....

Steve
post #34 of 45 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:13 am

You 04 if I am correct has the same servo brake system as my 03 CLC..

"Power" brakes.. Real ones.. Like a 68 Buick Electra 225....

And yes, If the system goes bad, You still have residual braking.. I would have to agree compared to the power system you have to actually squeeze the lever and press the pedal to get it to stop.. But there are brakes there...

I pull my CLC out of the shop without the engine running.. Down the hill we go and I stop every time. So, Yes, The brakes still work.. Kind of like shutting your car off while going down the road.. You can still steer and brake.. But it takes a lot more effort..

As far as the OP and inspection goes.. The bike is working properly.. Any inspector who would fail the bike is only showing his own stupidity...I'm fairly sure that a simple explanation of how the brake system works, Now that you understand a little more about it, Will suffice...

Good Luck.. Maybe video the inspection...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; May 9th, 2012 at 9:20 am.
post #35 of 45 Old May 9th, 2012, 11:09 am

I'm a pretty big/strong guy and squeezed and stomped pretty hard on the brakes....no stopping.....at least nothing that I could feel. I had to downshift and do the "Fred Flinstone stop". Maybe we just have different perceptions of "residual braking and stopping".

A "non-issue" now after $2000 for a new modulator (20% discount) and a few pints of fluid.

Steve
post #36 of 45 Old May 9th, 2012, 4:11 pm

BMW is not the only motorcycle to flash the ABS light until the bike has rolled a few feet. My Goldwing and a friend's Harley do the same.

I like my K75RT's ABS1 in that if the ABS should fail, the brakes don't lose any braking power.

Ron
post #37 of 45 Old May 9th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Leo Aikman

Current Love

Previous loves...
post #38 of 45 Old May 9th, 2012, 4:50 pm

Quote:

Paul
Paul, you have a way with words; thanks for not calling my mother a whore... Hope your inspection goes okay.

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #39 of 45 Old May 9th, 2012, 5:38 pm

I have had my 99LT inspected at different places for years and have never been asked about the lights. If so, I would just explain that it is a self test. In NY, they only turn on the bike to test the lights (headlight, brake and turn). That's why they only charge you $6,

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #40 of 45 Old May 9th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
Hell No. Newbee's should tread lightly. Oh, and did someone make up a new word "
annunciator ". Can you use it in a sentence? The annunciator said RTFM.
Only if you have more than a 6th grade education!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #41 of 45 Old May 10th, 2012, 2:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
You start, and I'll catch ya on the second round. That was pretty good Howard!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #42 of 45 Old May 10th, 2012, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
You start, and I'll catch ya on the second round. That was pretty good Howard!
I just like to see everybody get along. We're all here for the same reasons...

OK, gang, in the key of "g", here we go ...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #43 of 45 Old May 11th, 2012, 7:42 pm

To the OP, as a NYS resident, I often get the question asked during an inspection, and I explain it as normal and why. Nobody has failed it as a result and I've been to 3 different places here in upstate ny. If someone fails it, i'd complain, ask for a refund, and find another inspection station.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #44 of 45 Old May 11th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Garage

Yes.
They are not going to fail a bike for operating as it was supposed to operate.
However, I do believe the OP was unaware that is the way the bike is supposed to behave. As he then mentioned repairs, or who might repair.
No one, whereas it ain't broke.
dc
post #45 of 45 Old May 11th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Is that really you in that Avatar? If it is I'd get some glasses.

Also calm down a bit.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in